1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Board Games

Discussion in 'General' started by Margo Baggins, 10 Apr 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah it's got a pretty stiff learning curve. It does take a few things for granted, that's for sure. Once you get the hang of it though it can be very rewarding.

But yeah, you don't even get direct answers out of it, just clues. So if you're the type who doesn't do clues very well then you are a bit screwed really.

As an example the murder weapon part.. In one of the cases the clues led to Elect (politics question) Try (Rugby question) and City (town sort of question). You end up with Electtrycity.. Obviously pretty easy but sometimes the clues were not so easy so you would have to do some guesswork too.

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Oh I forgot about Munchkin. Loved it at Uni when time wasn't a factor, the silly names/items/actions were the focus, and continually hitting your fellow players with extra monsters to stop them winning was a laugh rather than taken personally - but now it does feel somewhat convoluted and too simply a question of math.

Also have Exploding Kittens (NSFW edition), which is daft and quick; shame I always lose!

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

With the right group the game is a blast, love the fact that most of the clues aren't direct. You actually feel like you've solved something by the end, which is quite impressive really.

Actually one game I forgot to mention (as it's a card game I guess) is Cards Against Humanity, I absolutely love that game. What works best is that once you've gotten over how downright crazy the cards are, it becomes a game of pure strategy. It's all about knowing your friends well and playing your cards to their taste. Like if one loves toilet humour, you save all the poo type ones for their turn etc. Personally I love cards that just fit like a glove, so my friends try to match them up for that. Your choice will never win against me by simply trying to be as foul as possible rofl. It's like a hidden difficulty curve that you don't expect, plus it only gets better when drunk.

4. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

*cracks knuckles*
    Currently on my shelf:

Archipelago
    Arkham Horror
    Bang
    Carcassone
    Carcassone: Star Wars
    Carcassone: Winter Edition
    Castle Panic
    Castles Of Burgandy
    Citadels
    Civilisation
    Codenames
    Colt Express
    Cosmic Encounter
    Deer Lord
    Descent 2nd Edition
    Dominion
    Eclipse
    Exploding Kittens
    Firefly
    Five Tribes
    Formula D
    Galaxy Trucker
    Gloom
    Gravwell
    Guards Guards
    Jaipur
    Kill Dr. Lucky
    Level 7: Escape
    Lords Of Waterdeep
    Love Letter
    Masquerade
    Memoir 44
    Monikers
    Monty Python Fluxx
    Munchkin
    Munchkin Quest
    Mysterium
    Netrunner
    One night ultimate werewolf
    Pandemic
    Patchwork
    Power Grid
    Race For the galaxy
    Resistance
    Resistance: Avalon
    Revolution
    Risk 2210
    Risk Halo
    Risk Legacy
    Roll for the galaxy
    Scythe
    Settlers Of Catan
    Seven Wonders
    Sheriff of Nottingham
    Small World
    Space Cadets: Dice duel
    Space Sheep
    Src: Card
    Star Fluxx
    Star Trek Fleet Captains
    star wars, imperial assault
    String Railway
    Sushi Go!
    Ticket To Ride
    Ticket To Ride: marklin
    Ticket To Ride: Rails and Sails
    Tiny Epic Galaxies
    Tiny Epic Western
    Trickerion
    Tsuro
    Tsuro of the seas
    Twilight Imperium
    Ultimate Werewolf
    Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms
    Zombies 15
    Zooloretto

~76ish games, not including a good few expansions. Only played about two thirds of them though.

I recommend http://shutupandsitdown.com for pretty good video reviews, though I do disagree sometimes.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Phwoa you're my hero! I love that collection :) Bang is such a great game. I love that you have the resistance AND the resistance: Avalon :D hero stuff.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh yeah, somewhere I have plop trumps too. Never did play it (was an Xmas stocking filler).

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Coprolite wins the deck tbh

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

My wife to this day will reference, "You should know better than to pick a duck up in a dungeon," when one of us picks up something unpleasant.

Yeah Since having children my gaming time has significantly diminished.

9. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Last Night On Earth:
    It's a zombie board game. It plays more or less exactly like the classic zombie movies you love. I used to play weekly with friends. It has lots of expansions. Most are relatively fun.

Ticket to Ride:
    It has simple and fun mechanics. It's still good even after many many play-throughs.

Forbidden Desert:
    Co-op game. It's fun but seems to either be too easy or completely unforgiving, which makes me thing the balance isn't quite right and too much is based on luck.

Portal: Uncocoperative Cake Game:
    I still haven't played this . . . but I'm a big Portal fan so there you go.

Aquire:
    It's a real estate investing game that doesn't suck. Imagine that.

Pandemic:
    A co-op game where you're trying to stop the spread of a deadly disease before it kills everyone. It's like the board game opposite of Plague, Inc. if you've played that. It's fun but you need 4 people who all like mildly complicated rules.

Guillotine:
    It's a fun, quick game with minimal strategy. My wife and I like to play this when we have new friends over. The rules are dead simple and we can talk about other things while we play. I highly recommend this.

Love Letter:
    A card counting game with only 11 cards. It's also really simple and fun to play with new friends. You also don't need to think too hard about strategy most of the time, but you do need to count those cards as they go by.

10. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

I do love board games and card games, I have many but I must say Scrabble is my favorite hands down!:clap:

11. Margo Baggins

I bought some new games this week

[​IMG]

and I'm nearly out of space :(

[​IMG]

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I'm starting to build up a small collection of games to play with the kids (5 and 8yrs)

Munchkin Panic
    Sushi Go
    Roll for it
    Tsuro
    Exploding Kittens
    Mice and Mystics

There's a few that are on my list to add to the collection, but I also want to build a convertible gaming table/dining table at some point.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just got back from the Rules of Play International Tabletop Day event in Cardiff. PACKED.

Hopefully these image embeds will work...

Main room:

[​IMG]

Second room:

[​IMG]

Second room (from the opposite end):

[​IMG]

These photos don't even show the small area upstairs or the small room where a bunch of D&D was happening (more posts & vids on their f'book page...)

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

By the way: if there are any Android: Netrunner players here interested in regular games, give me a shout. I had a few hands of Netrunner with some mates earlier and it's sort of stoked my interest. I hardly play any more - I barely even know the basic cards - and I want to try and get some regular games going. There are plenty of online options for playing (Octgn, Jinteki.net, Tabletop Simulator, etc) but ideally I'd be looking for 2-4 players regularly (say, once a week, once a fortnight, something like that) - I'm happy to host an instance of Mumble with separate rooms for different games.

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Oooo cool thread

Introduced two new peeps to Carcassonne yesterday, an 11yo and his dad at a garden party. Me and my lad came in 1st and 2nd, but the noobs did okay for their first play. I don't think they've played anything even close to comparable before.

On another subject, I've been working on a my own hex based board game for a while (okay the first 'almost a prototype' was started pre-internet! Eeek. Was parked for many a year, and re-started a few months ago and I grab a few minutes on it here and there.

I now have a good set of game pieces in place, two thirds of the rules and I'm ready to enlist my kids for the first play tests when I get the chance :)

As well as 2D version, I've been designing and printing a 3D version. No it doesn't play like Catan. It's basically an end of the world simulator :)

[​IMG]

And it has a working title of 'Apocalypse'

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 May 2017
  16. Margo Baggins

I'd be so down for testing your game! looks awesome. I like games with hexes. Is there any worker placement elements? I bloody love worker placement games.

I bought another game this week, which I've been trying to find for ages but it's out of printer (thoguh there is a new print happening with mayfair at the mo and is out end of June) - Glass Road, but Uwe Rosenburg. Have played it 3 times in the last week and it's definitely now my favourite game.

Now just need to find a copy of Fields of Arle, and be brave enough to stump up 90 quid for his newest game "A Feast for Odin" and then I think I will have all of his games.

Played a game called Mice and Mystics last night which was a lot of fun, it's a dungeon crawler with mice. better than it sounds! but fits the very standard dungeon crawler mold, easy fighting, hard to actually beat the dungeons though due to the different objective tracks, some of which are only there to mess you up.

Last edited: 19 May 2017
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I meant to reply to say the same; I'd be happy to play-test with a few friends :). If you have PDFs (or similar) of the pieces & manual it would be easy to distribute to a select few for play-testing.

BTW, I'm not sure whether you've already designed something similar, but I found some neat Settlers hexes on Thingiverse which have sockets on the bottom for small magnets. Simple idea but would make things a lot easier when laying out the board! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1238980 (Also found similar hex holders for Eclipse, which I haven't got around to printing yet: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:700356)

18. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

just started to get into board games the gf suffers from agoraphobia so I'm trying to find things for us to do indoors. We've got khet and I'm trying to get hold of a copy of gloom but I've basically been watching the tabletop games series on youtube by wil wheaton but all his games seem to be for more than 2 players so any suggestions for 2 player games would be appreciated as up until now my idea of a 2 player game was backgammon or go.

19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

There's a few card games that work perfectly fine with 2 players, I've got Exploding kittens, sushi Go and Roll for it! and all are playable with only 2 players, there are probably many more but those are games that I've actually got.

It might be worth looking at something like Ticket to Ride and the Dark Souls board game as well. My GF isn't really 'into' board games although I'm beginning to turn her around but the card games are really easy to pick up and play and can become quite competitive!

20. Margo Baggins

games I like playing 2 player:

alchemist
    patchwork (is 2 player game)
    Jaipur (is 2 player game)
    citadels - I think is most fun as a 2 player game
    7 wonders - the normal game 2 player is great, but there is also a 2 player game called "7 wonders duel"