1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Back in Nov. 2015 I was in this thread logging some running drills I was doing, then I encountered a calf injury I'd never had before and it killed that motivation. A year went by, I then did a few short runs in Oct. 2016 but wasn't really into it. Then my gf insisted I support her in running 10k around our town. So I reluctantly agreed and end of Nov. 2016 we ran a casual 10k, but the last 3k my legs were gone. It took us 1hr 8mins. Afterwards I felt rough for days - how much was due to the run, and how much due to some bug or something, IDK, but I then didn't run again until March 2017.

Reason I started again was to support gf as she started entering us in local 10k events - yay!

So we did our first organised 10k at the start of April, but in the last kilometre my knee started giving up and I had to walk for about 700m. My time was 1hr 5mins.

But then I went out for 5 more runs in April, of varying distance, before yesterday we did our 2nd 10k event. My time was 58mins, so things are going in the right direction. I've now got a couple of months before my next event, so I'm hoping for some injury/illness free time to keep up the momentum.

I ran a 10k ten years ago in 53mins, so that's my next target, but I'm pretty sure it's easier when you're 26 than when you're 36.

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

What are your eating habits prior to the 10k runs?

3. Porkins' Wingman

I would loosely say 'normal', though that one I did in November when I was exhausted afterwards, was in the morning and I decided to skip breakfast iirc, which in hindsight I told myself probably contributed to the crash around 6-7km and subsequent crapness.

Most of my training runs I do in the evening, once the kids are in bed around 8pm, so I'll usually have eaten tea with them around 5:00-5:30. It's normally some sort of variation around a pasta/rice/potato based meal with veg, maybe some salmon or tuna. Don't tend to buy a lot of meat.

I don't wanna run 10k hungry, but I don't wanna feel like I'm carrying a big meal either, so I guess I stick to a single portion before the run.

4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I always make sure i have a bananna about 15 - 20mins before I run, by the time you have run 25 - 30 mins you should be getting the benefit from it.

I would also recommend drinking a fair amount before, during and after your workout to make sure you are hydrated. This makes a HUGE difference when running more than 5k.

In experience i would skip energy gels for anything under 15k.

5. Porkins' Wingman

It was one week ago that I wrote that post at the top of this page. I weighed myself the same morning, for the first time in a long time. I was 84.9kg, which is at least 5kg over the weight I said I wanted to stick at a couple of years ago. Just shows how easy it is for weight to creep up if you don't pay attention to it continuously.

Seven days later I'm 82.6kg and making a comeback.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I've lost 1st and 3lb now :D in, hmm 6 weeks or something.

High protein diet, 1600-1800ish calories a day, gym 4 times a week. I have a PT for two of those sessions and we do strong man stuff and body building.

So close to being in the 16s, as yesterday I was 17st2lb. I've not been in the 16s for easily the last decade so I'm quite chuffed with that. Target weight is somewhere in the low 15s

7. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

WTG!!!! good Job!:clap:

8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

lost 9kg (19 lbs) in 5 weeks !

keto is magic :D

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seeing some progress: 93.3kg has gone to 89.4kg so far, with a 1,500-calorie daily target combined with exercise. Putting in 10-16 'miles' on the stationary bike of a morning - 400 to 600 calorie burn, the computer says - and a few minutes of chucking dumbbells around.

Still want a kebab, though.

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No can do'sville: the morning's the only time I've got.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Morning is fine - you just have to get used to it, which does take some work. Some of my best ever workouts have been in the morning.

I would say though if there is ANY way you can avoid the use of a stationary bike and use a real bike instead, that will pay dividends in terms of being able to transition from yoyo dieting/exercising to just making it part of your lifestyle. You'll find it much easier, mentally (which is sometimes 90% of the battle), and its overall better for your body.

Also, HIIT - if you can find a way to do extremely high intensity workouts, followed by breaks - then the weight will DROP off you.

13. Gareth Halfacree

I owned a bike once. Nearly got mowed down by a taxi. I don't own a bike any more.

The only reason I've got time to exercise at the moment is 'cos I'm doing it with my desk in standing mode - which means I can pedal the stationary bike and work at the same time. S'not really compatible with any other form of exercise, that, except a treadmill which is too big to fit in the office.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Aim of my weight loss was, well weight loss randomly I'm 3lbs lighter cant attribute it different eating or getting race weight from a toilet break.
    Mainly been doing cycling an one thing that ive noticed is all my jerseys are getting a little snug around the chest. Couldn't work out why for ages thought it was me just being fat. Trip to the Chiropractor while on the table promptly said of your a cyclist then, turns out its not fat just huge shoulder an lower neck muscles :s

So I have weedy arms, massive back no core and very toned legs brilliant! :rolleyes:

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Pics :D

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Have the damn kebab, Gareth :thumb:. A treat once in a while won't kill you and it won't really affect weight-loss in the medium- to long-term. Denying yourself something you really want is part of the reason that people fail with their "diets": it needs to be a sustainable change in lifestyle rather than a short-term sacrifice.

Metabolisms will vary from person to person; it's really not something you can make broad statements about (other than the very basic scientific mechanisms). There is no "right" answer as to what time in the day you should be exercising. Even if there were, not everyone - as with Gareth here - would be able to accommodate that in their daily lives.

I agree that if you're going to use an exercise bike regularly then you'd be far better off with an actual bike... but cycling back & fore to work isn't really an option when - again, as in Gareth's case - your office is at home! (Says the guy whose expensive carbon fibre bike has been gathering dust in the shed for months... :worried: I'm going for a quick ride later though, that counts!)

17. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I prefer working out in the morning. on the weekends I normally can go to the gym for 2 hours or so in the morning, which is something I just can't do in the evenings, as I'm normally quite fatigued from work. I did a solid 2 hours yesterday morning and got pbs on everything, completely anecdotal but thats how my body works :)

18. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I prefer to exercise in the morning. Quieter and makes me feel better about the day coming up.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

After another "official" weigh in this evening, I am now down 31.5 lbs (14.3kg) in 6 weeks. Not bad, that. Still a long way to go tho.

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ill likely damage peoples screens and/or make them require therapy, add to the im not the most comfortable person in the world when it comes to having my photo taken.