1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ WING X99 - A CNC-milled Scratch Build! (Benchmarks,temps and wallpapers posted)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Andreas | Brodholm, 19 Aug 2016.

1. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Man that's a bobby dazzler.

2. Cenedd

Cenedd What's a Dremel?

The pumps are in series rather than in parallel. Parallel sounds like a much better idea for redundancy but doesn't work as well in practice. Series gives you higher pressure - and you may get more flow as a result - but it gives you the full performance of one pump should the other fail. Have a read here: https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/pump-setup-series-vs-parallel

Yeah, me too. Andreas has a lot to answer for! ;)

Yep. Broken three already. Glad I bought the cheap ones to replace the expensive one I snapped until I worked out what I was doing wrong.

It's definitely coming on very nicely. Some really inventive and interesting techniques too.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's May, and MOTY is already won. -It's SOOOOOOO dang pretty.

I hope that's helium in the balloon. I got human breath in a loop once. It wasn't a good thing. It got icky fast.
    @CroyAlore - I have a tip: Unless it's a machined port radiator, keep it out of your uniblock design. They are not made very precisely.

4. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

Don't do it! Well, do it, but don't. I don't know. They are amazing looking but a hassle to build and to get right. Next one will definitely be easier for me but it has caused me a lot of headache. Be sure to get custom orings done or build so you can use stock lengths. Be sure that you have the correct depth and width when you mill it. In the end it is worth it, but be prepared to have some issues along the way :)

Pumps are in serial, so it is: Pump > Res > Pump > RAD > CPU > GPU&SSD > RAM > RAM > Res

Thanks for those kind words! I put a LOT of work in these projects and it is comments like this and the feeling you get when you have inspired someone else to go and do something they have wanted to do all along, but just needed that slight nudge/inspiration, again thanks :blush:

I will be using one of the new HB-sli bridges from asus. It fits perfectly with the covers on the motherboard. Was planing on making one myself but luckily they released this in time! I finally get to use something straight from the shelf :lol:

Had to google that :D Thanks mate :thumb:

Exactly, pumps in series gives you that really nice redundancy :)

It is nothing worse than being in the shop, milling away and then your endmill breaks and you are out of that diameter. And then you have to go and REPROGRAM EVERYTHING with that endmill, pray to God that you still have the same XYZ zeroes when you are set and done again :D

I don't know... There is plenty of very hard competition out there. But I will take that as a huge compliment from you, thanks mate :blush:

I used a balloon pump to ensure that I got no contaminants :) Next time I will get a real preussare gauge to test it properly. That will save me a lot of headache next time ^^

5. Andreas | Brodholm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how I fastened the GPUs and SSDs. Wanted to have a straight line up from the motherboard so I raised the screws a lot.

[​IMG]
    Also installed covers in the 2 blank spots. Also notice the magnet. That is how the cover gets fastened.

[​IMG]
    The opposing side.

[​IMG]
    And here is the result. A nice and clean surface with no screws and easy to remove. This is how the top, back and side covers are attached. It is really neat if I say so myself. I have no visable screws on this case (except on the pumps where I wanted that industrial look (they are actually blanks, except from 2).

[​IMG]
    It is really something special when you get to put the panels on. It makes it come alive in some way.

[​IMG]
    The top seam for the case. Here is where the line cover is put.

[​IMG]
    The bottom part of the seam is covered with a thin piece of aluminium.

[​IMG]
    Here you can see it installed.

[​IMG]
    And this is how it looks, and I must say I am really happy with how it turned out!

[​IMG]
    The real cover for the cables. Was a hassle to get everything behind this. And I would probably make this in sections the next time around. Having one big sheet was quite the challenge.

[​IMG]
    The illuminated feet mounted and connected.

[​IMG]
    This is the result it produces. It is quite hard to catch on camera and always gets over exposed. But it looks really good! This is a RGB strip so I can have any color i desire. But red is really pleasant and does not hurt your eyes :)

[​IMG]
    The button and logo.

[​IMG]
    This is the effect it produces when it is on and a bit darker. Not a 100% even but close! Spent over 2 days designing the button and its components. I found It really hard to make something like this with the very limited space and I am happy that it turned out this good!

[​IMG]
    A view of the case without the side panels on!

[​IMG]
    Here are the "fake" screws I talked about, They screw into the plexiglass, except for 2 that I used instead of a magnet. But I really like the look of the circular pattern with the screws.

[​IMG]
    I must say that I am more than pleased with how the design of the cable routing turned out. I think it is beautiful. I worked really, really hard on this design. To fit what I wanted aesthetically and also have it function well was really hard. But in the end it really added something to the case. Now both sides are really interesting and pleasant to watch. Next update it is time to get some water in this thing!

6. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Just beautiful

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This just keeps getting better and better. Absolutely amazing work. Wow!

8. Cheapskate

Is it too late to deny it's existence and cry "render"? It's TOO clean. :lol: The expansion slot mounts and cover are really sweet. You may have inspired some revisions to a bench I've been drawing forever. I'm curious if I could lock the cards in with just a plate/magnet setup. -Maybe a internal groove to keep it from slipping...

-and YES, Unless some crazy Russian modder drops in with a working engine block in his rig again, you have an excellent chance of winning. Attila doesn't work fast enough to take you out either. :lol:

9. Andreas | Brodholm

Thanks!

:blush:

Ohh, when are those drawings going to be revealed? :baby:

Could work, magnets are crazy strong. I got N45. I think you can get N55 also. Next time I am dropping the amount of magnets I need. Or at least size. I was worried that it would be to little. It is a bit to much actually! I know though with experience that after a few years they get significantly weaker.

Attila, yeah. As I said earlier, not so easy :D

There are A LOT of really good builds out there. And there is always someone somewhere that will make something truly exceptional :cooldude:

Also! before I forget. Made Update 27-33 (now) in video format with some sweet piano! 4K is also available!

10. Andreas | Brodholm

Ohh well... why not post this now as well! Hopefully I can get out some video of the filling tomorrow. If not then It will be up next week!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got some new coolant in the mail!

[​IMG]
    Looks really good! Got that dark "blood red" look to it.

[​IMG]
    Also got one of these! Ohh why have I not gotten one of these before... Makes things much much easier.

[​IMG]
    Patience is key! Drop by drop!

[​IMG]
    Lots and lots of bubbles! Also had a hose attached that I filled in. And that acted as an extra reservoir so I did not have to stop that much. The upper res part is quite small and gets empty quite fast otherwise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't mind the dust and stuff! I will clean it later!

[​IMG]
    Bubbles swishing by. Looks really mesmerizing. Again, don't mind all the dust and stuff. This is not wiped and cleaned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks a bit weird with all the small bubbles trapped everywhere but those will go away after a few hours/days.

[​IMG]
    Time to let it bleed! Next update will be final pictures. And it will be a huge one. I will also have to do some editing and make a "making of" video and a "final result" video. Hoping I can get these videos out before dreamhack summer!

11. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic What's a Dremel?

Flawless and compelling!! :rock:

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That coolant (and the air bubbles in it) reminds me of the mineral oil that goes in my bike's hydraulic disk brakes, and what a pain in the rear end it is to bleed them!

13. Cheapskate

A looping vid of bubbles zipping through that.. I can see one of us making the news because we starved to death watching a bubble video.

14. Andreas | Brodholm

:rock: :dremel: :rock:
    Yeah, can confirm. A pain to bleed :D

blub blub blubbllubllbulb!

bubble video! Here you go!

15. kim

kim hardware addict

I've just watched all videos of the project...it was such a delightfull moment.. so beautifull to see the parts taking shape, and with your choice of music...t I literally tripped like a drop in the loop convolutions...
    anyway...you definitely deserves MOTY :rock::rock::rock:

16. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

dude that is stunning, i love the very formal 'channels' for the atx cable then the little winding channels for the other cables going off to other places, gives a really professional look but still keeps its character... all the bits of polished acrylic look sweet, looks so clean

that waterblock is awesome ....haha love the bubbles whipping round lol

Last edited: 25 May 2017
  17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is all.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Love it. Makes my head hurt just trying to think of the work that's gone into it haha.

19. Cheapskate

Looooooovvvely.
    -But that music choice. :waah: It was like, "RIP, project log." Especially with all the soft transitions and the little fade to black at the end. I shouldn't be tearing up for a loop bleed
    but I did.

amagriva likes this.
  20. kim

kim hardware addict

hard to please everybody...:lol:, It's so seldom to watch for a loop video without crappy techno music ...