1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ZX Spectrum Next rips through its crowdfunding goal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What's interesting is that no money from the campaign is being used for it, and everyone's working for free. Also, the Oliver Twins and Codemasters (who each own 50% of the rights) have jointly agreed to donate all proceeds as and when they sell the game to non-backers to charity, which is jolly good of 'em.

2. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

That is very good of them! Part of me wonders whether the failure of the kickstarter has something to do with it. I would be shocked if there wasn't a few "higher ups" at Codemasters who were very fond of the original games.

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I started out with a ZX81 in 1981 or 1982 then moved on to the Speccie. I spent waaaay too many hours playing games on the Speccie back in the 80's, from the original through to the +2 before moving on to the Amiga. Happy days!! I'm not sure I'd splash out on the Next though. I do like a bit of retro gaming once in a flood but not enough to justify the spend. I still have the ZX81 and Spectrum 48k in the attic at my Mum's house, with a load of games for the Speccie and a load of the old magazines you could buy with the ZX Basic programs/games you had to input on the ZX81 :)