1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker reviews

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Ciber, 25 May 2017.

1. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

I'm looking for a set of speakers for my PC and searching here I can't see many speaker reviews since 2012. 5.1 systems even longer. Is there a reason for this? My last set I bought 12 years ago on the basis of professional reviews and now I can't find the same quality of advice.

It would be handy to know how to connect to my PC, which soundcards are good. Which games have good 3d audio, is 5.1 sound still relevant etc.

2. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

There's no major reason other than a decline in popularity of desktop speakers I guess. I'm lucky enough to have the Corsair SP2500s, but if they ever blow I'll be gutted, and even I'm not sure where I'd look for advice for a new pair.

Audio can be a deep well - how high-end do you want to go? My SP2500s simply connect to my motherboard's onboard sound via a standard 3.5mm jack, and I'm more than satisfied. But some will want soundcards, external DACs, speakers that use XLR connectors, and so on.

As for 5.1, it's relevant insofar as you'd use it. If you watch a lot of films or play a lot of games with well mixed surround tracks, then sure, but otherwise it's a lot of fuss and cables for not much benefit.

3. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

I too have Corsair SP2500s, they have been fantastic! I did have 5.1 surround, but got rid of it ad it was too much of a ball ache to keep the speakers behind me =( I didn't use it too much either.

4. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Yes, the mind boggles at the choices in amps, speakers, DACs etc.!

It does seem like 3d audio in games is passing away. When I bought my Z5500s, Creative EAX effects and 5.1 sound were much talked about and the best games sounded awesome with them, but now it's not such a big deal maybe.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I think it's due to demand - not many people had the space or budget for a full 5.1 setup and so developers stopped making it such a focus.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The practicalities of reviewing speakers doesn't help either. What might sound like the greatest pair of speakers ever made to my ears might sounds like burbling diarrhea to you.