1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Computex 2017 - Day 1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 30 May 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Tell Antec I'll give them a discounted rate for Product Consulting.

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

that Corsair wireless mouse and mousepad charger looks pretty awesome :)

Last edited: 31 May 2017
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Too much emphasis on RGBing everything, surely every 10 year old with a couple of grand to spare has already RGBed their life.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Don't understand why companies make RGB motherboards then put coloured components or LED Debug screens on them.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I don't have a problem with decorative features and myriad flashing lights, for those that want them but, it would be nice if manufacturers would produce more mid to high end gear without all those features, for those of us that don't want them and don't want to pay for them.

I have a windowless case and my PC sits between my desk and an adjacent storage unit, so internal cosmetic features are just a waste of money but, I still want high performance.

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Phanteks - TAKE MY MONEY!

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I was just about to post something along those lines. It's like a stretched Corsair One :D

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The Phanteks Shift is like an upgraded FT03 Mini. Love vertical tower cases, since most people with small places have lots of vertical space but not much horizontal (like me).

I would say - the pics are of a very low quality. I feel like my S7 would take better quality shots than that, and if I was covering a trade show, I'd probably take a Digital SLR.

10. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

It actually is a digital SLR. I could've done a better job tidying up the images and by shooting in RAW, but there's just no time. The lighting is *terrible* in every suite as well. I'll look into getting some equipment to make them better next year, and the ones from the main trade show floor are looking better as the lighting is a bit friendlier - sorry, though!

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Exactly what I thought.

Ooooh - ERROR in Phantek's specifications by the looks of it too - both spec sheets show the height being 650mm, but the Shift is clearly shorter than the Shift X. I'm hoping the Shift X is 650mm as otherwise the shorter one won't fit under my desk shelf :)

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Speaking as someone who's been there and done that: I get fantastic results from an entry-level Nikon D3200 SLR with Speedlight SB-800 flash and a Nikkor Micro f/2.8 40mm macro lens. Cheap as chips and gives you usable results in even the crappiest of lighting, such as this image from Maker Faire UK 2016 taken in a badly-lit room with black carpet, walls, and ceiling:

[​IMG]

The same lens also allows for artsy-fartsy shots, like this of an LED cube installation from the same event:

[​IMG]

Taking shots which don't allow for flash? Keep a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 prime in your pocket and switch when necessary. Crank up the ISO and you can take handheld shots sans-flash with a reasonable level of detail:

[​IMG]

As a backup, I also carry a Sony DSC-QX100 'smart lens', which connects to my phone. That's f/1.8 Carl Zeiss glass, and as an example of its performance in extremely low lighting conditions have a zero-flash shot from when my kids went to see Santa in a badly-lit grotto last year:

[​IMG]

TL;DR: Budget gear can work pretty well.

Last edited: 31 May 2017
  13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Did you play at being a spaceman afterwards Gareth? ;)

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha my ceilings are about 15ft high :D

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can you believe I resisted the urge? Put *that* on my list of life regrets!

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Bah you should see Stuart Tonk's build at the TT booth, thing is impossible to photo. I tried for about 10 minutes before the show opened and holy cow every shot was awful. That was using all manners of things, D750 with 24-70 f2.8 with a speedlite, without, with a soft box on the speedlite, with a tripod... I just gave up and told him I can't do it rofl. Some of the exhibits are so poorly lit for photos it's incredible.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Did you try bouncing the flash? The reentry capsule shot above was lit by pointing the Speedlight backwards over my head and bouncing it off a gold-coloured pocket reflector I was carrying (about $2 from AliExpress) - you have to have a quick shutter speed 'cos you're holding the camera single-handedly (and if you're anything like me wobbling all over the bleedin' place) and you look like a right numpty, but it definitely works!

18. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Oh I did, used a soft box, pure flash, no box, filters... heck I even tried using the flash in remote mode, I placed it down elsewhere but it just didn't work rofl. No matter what I tried it never looked right.

19. Gareth Halfacree

That's the one thing I've not played with: remote flash. I've got a couple of cheap flash guns which I can use in flash-triggered slave mode, but my studio's too well-lit to actually make 'em trigger and they're bulky things to be adding to my backpack for field use. Keep meaning to invest in a proper remote trigger for the Speedlight so I could use it off-body, but never seem to actually do it...

20. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

With so many cases i always wonder how it's suppose to work when they have several fans in front but then the front is covered and only a very small slit is left round it to feed the air.
    To me it looks like it is never enough intake to even feed a slow 80mm fan let alone a couple of 120mm or even bigger ones.

Has that ever been tested? How much opening you need for your average fan to not become under-fed and end up being useless for a large part? I mean sure you create a semi-vacuum and that draws in air sharper, but a fan only has so much air movement and speed so I find it hard to believe the opening those cases have are a good combination with a normal computercase fan.

Tags: Add Tags