1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 4K advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 4 Jun 2017.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

In tandem with my wanted thread for a monitor on the MP, I need a little advice on 4K.

Now, if I'm honest, I don't give a damn about 4K, and have no desire to replace my 980Ti. However, 27"-28" 4K monitors are frequently available for less than QHD models, so I have a question.

How well do they scale down to something like QHD for gaming, if required?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My Acer scaled down beautifully. Not for desktop but gaming which is what you probably care about I guess.

I would read reviews of anything you are considering.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's all right. Looks a bit soft but you get used to it until you turn it up to 4K then you go OOOohhh.

Tbh I made a mistake going 4K and should have bought another GSync monitor.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Thank you.
    I always do, but scaling down to a lower resolution for gaming isn't really a staple of 4K reviews.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A 980 Ti will run things okay at 4K. Drop some settings if needs be and enjoy!

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If I had not bought a G-sync 4k monitor I would possibly still have it. It just didn't play nice with my Fury X at all. I got this horrible weird ghosting around the outside of everything, even on the desktop. Tried everything, changing resolution etc still the same :(

Still, I don't regret getting my HP. 32" so was a nice size upgrade, IPS which kicks the crap out of an Acer TN and so on. I don't game as much as I used to but this thing is fantastic for watching movies on.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Although I used to be able to run most games at 4K on my system which is in the sig with my Asus PB287Q, I now generally run them at either 1080P or 1440P because with each patch that comes for the games or new driver update the performance get's worse and worse.

Yes you can tell the difference between 1080P, 1440P and 4K but generally if the game is well made or atleast has decent textures, then they don't look to bad and to me look pretty good however because I have seen them running at 4K, they do not look as good such as Elite and The Division.

Now if you do run the games at 4K, then expect your temp's and power usage to increase slightly on your GPU and dependent on game also your CPU.

I would say that 1440p is probably the better resolution to aim for but if you card is struggling then 1080p will work just fine.

Now if I could go back in time to when I bought this monitor I would have slapped myself and said do not buy it and do not buy an asus monitor, I would have gone for either a 1440p or just got a slightly larger 1080p monitor.

Now if you intend on running multiple monitors and 1 of them is 1080p and 1 is 4K, and you intend of running the 4K one at 4K on the desktop but lowering it when gaming then, download "Hot Key Resolution Changer" as you can set, 2 or more resolutions iirc for the 4K monitor and use a numpad key or what ever you want, to change the resolution on the fly of the 4K monitor.

The reason I looked that up, is because when I was running my 4K monitor at 4K and my second monitor at 1080p which is it's max resolution, then when I launched a game everything that was open on the 2nd monitor vanished, until I closed the game.

However I also got fed up of it as after playing some games, it was causing issues and as such I now just run my 4K monitor at 1080p in most games and on the desktop at all times unless the game works well at 4K in bordelessmode.