1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The airsoft thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 30 Oct 2008.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

As for if the gears are worth it, and if you should have a go at the install yourself.

Personally im only using a 22k RPM High torque motor which is one of the slower ones available. I would a set of upgraded gears will be a good help, esp if you use a LiPo or plan to in the future. also a new piston could be a good plan. I would suggest checking out a few guides online for pistons, as alot of people take our a tooth or 2 from the bottom of the piston to get a better Angle of engagement, but also it can be worth looking for a piston with metal teeth on the bottom as they tend to last a bit longer.

As for should you have a go at doing the tech work yourself.. absoloutly, its a good thing to learn, and as you said worst case you get F&O to finish the job if your having no luck.

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

High speed gears are worth it if you use semi fire a lot (better trigger response), on full auto you'll just be out off ammo quicker.
    As for changing the piston - is your current one showing any wear? If not, there is not really a point in changing it. I'm still using the original piston&gears in my AEG (~6 year old, close to half a million BBs fired).

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

well i plucked for the 13:1 gears to go with the SHS hi torque motor i already have, and a Madbul orange piston ( with the 2nd tooth removed )
    i run a small Lipo battery and i hope that my gun will sound better ( if not F&O can have a play with it ) so with any luck using the youtube guides ill be able to at least get it running again

then i need to get into shape ( well a shape that isnt round ) and get to a game.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd say I'll let you know, but as it'll be my first time airsofting I won't really have a baseline for comparison!

Seems reasonable, though: £25 walk-on or £45 hire package including gun, facepro, camo, drinks, rifle, 2,000 BBs, and a hot lunch.

EDIT: What do fellow four-eyed souls do about facepro, by the way? I've been looking at some goggles with prescription inserts - Wiley X Nerve and Spear in particular. Worth it, combined with a half-face mesh mask to prevent a BB to the teeth and a helmet to prevent a BB to everywhere else?

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

If it's any good, you can give me a lift there. :D Quite tempted to give airsoft another shot, especially now that I have the disposable income.

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

While I can't comment on the prescription inserts (as I don't use them) I've never gone to the extent of playing in a helmet. At most I'll wear a cap, even without one it only stings a bit if you get hit in the head. And if I'm playing a site where there's likely to be a fair amount of CQB then I'll throw on a half-face mesh mask, otherwise I don't bother with that either (I just try to run around without my teeth on show instead). The only thing I do ensure is that any goggles I ever use are full seal.

9. Gareth Halfacree

But what if, entirely hypothetically, you're a complete wuss?

Asking for a friend, obviously.

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If your going full face, I cannot stress the importance of ventilation.

Ideally full mesh.

Steamy goggles / mask = rubbish time.

11. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I'm using WileyX Sabre, no complaints apart from that Ben's eats through nose peace quite quickly. Googles tend to fog-up, especially with RX inserts (ones with a fan are a bit better, but then you have fan noise to deal with). Mesh ones (the eyepieces are made out of mesh) are crap at night/low light conditions, can brake apart low quality BBs.
    I also dont play with helmet or facemask (does beard count as one?) - too hot, cumbersome. For CQB, if there is a requirement for fullface protection, I just use 3m face shield :p.
    The most painful spots to get hit to are: nails, knuckles and prob. thights. Ears/lips/nose tend to accumulate BBs, but are not very painful.

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ive never been in more pain than when I was shot in the very top of the head. A very close second was fingernail.

Full face can get bent, we don't have high enough fps limits for it to be absurdly dangerous to go eyes only. Ive seen mesh mouth/nose covers coupled with eye protection though, seems to have the best of both worlds in terms of full face with minimal sweaty/foggyness. I tried a neoprene mouth/nose cover but that stuff is simply not breathable and holy hell is it uncomfortably warm.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You tend to be pretty pumped up with adrenaline which helps take the edge off... I've had a few hits which have smarted a bit, but mostly they tend to be briefly sting as you get hit and that's it. However, as Xlog does say, fingers can be a bit painful to get hit on and it's well worth investing in a pair of gloves imo.

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I have a pair of ESS balistic goggles with changeable lenses, afaik they were forces issue when i got them and I would assume its possible to get prescription lenses. After them I tend to wear some kind of covering for the lower part of my face and a hat of some kind. I'm planning to do a helmet setup at some point.

Can do

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Been reading through this thread and it brings back memories of my pre-UKARA airsoft experience. I was more of a collector than a skirmisher so naturally, having bright orange/blue/green guns doesn't work for me.

I had a number of pistols in my collection but am struggling to find pics of them because it was so long ago (circa 2006/2007). I did however manage to find a pic of my KJW P226 on my old Photobucket account. It broke not long after I bought it and it was never skirmished; I only used it in the garden for plinking. Would never buy KJW again having owned two of their pistols.

I'd love to get back into owning/collecting RIFs but I'm buggered as to how I'd go about it with the current (ridiculous) laws in place. :sigh:

[​IMG]

17. Gareth Halfacree

Here in England, it's easy: just buy air weapons instead of airsoft guns 'cos air weapons were already enshrined in law as an actual firearm meaning they're not classed as a realistic imitation firearm (RIF) under the VCR Act ('cos if it's a real firearm it can't also be an imitation firearm, a whoopsy-doodle loophole they missed when drafting the VCRA).

That means that I can pop to my local RFD and pick up one of these with nothing more than the cash in my hand and proof of ID:

[​IMG]

However, to buy one which fires 6mm plastic BBs at under one joule rather than 4.5mm metal BBs or lead pellets at considerably over one joule and which looks like this:

[​IMG]

I'd need to have an excuse for VCRA exemption, i.e. membership of a UKARA/BAC skirmish site with three visits on record over a period not less than two months, a part in a play, TV production, or film in which I need a 'firearm,' be a museum, or need it for costume purposes (yes, cosplay is an exemption - but a hard one to prove and one not many retailers accept.)

What's that? Can't tell the difference between those two guns? Yeah, my point exactly.

Sadly, you're in Scotland where air weapons are now licensable even under the 12ft/lbs limit, so your only real option is going to be to visit a skirmish site three times over a two-month-or-greater period, get your UKARA membership, then buy as many airsoft guns as you want before your UKARA membership expires in twelve months' time.

Cheers for the advice on glasses and face protection, all. Got my eye on one of those Gen 4 helmets with the built-in mesh mask and plastic goggles, but they're bloody expensive for something that doesn't offer any actual ballistic protection...

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Aren't most of the rules surrounding the VCRA stuff industry imposed?

19. Gareth Halfacree

Not sure I understand the question. The VCR Act is an Act of Parliament, or to you or I a "law". The VCRA requires that retailers don't sell realistic imitation firearms to people unless said people have a jolly good reason for wanting a realistic imitation firearm, with "'cos they're cool" not making the cut. If a retailer is caught selling realistic imitation firearms to people who don't have a jolly good reason for wanting 'em, then the retailer is in Serious Legal Trouble.

So if you're asking does the enforcement of the VCRA fall to retailers, then yes. See also the laws which put ages limits on booze, boobs, and 'baccy, which are also enforced by retailers on pain of Serious Legal Repercussions if they don't.

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep - it's very easy to demonstrate how ridiculous the "control" laws are even in England where it's easier to obtain an air weapon than in Scotland.

There's no way I would go to the trouble or expense of getting UKARA because I'd be jumping through hoops just to set myself up for buying some guns, which seems pointless. It'd likely be easier for me to get an airgun licence and buy CO2 pistols instead. Hmm... might look into that actually since I have three months of summer holidays left. Just need to find a clear and concise distinction between air weapon and airsoft gun...

I managed to find two pics of my Marui Desert Eagle. I bought the case direct from Magnum Research in the USA to complete the outfit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]