1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deepcool announces Gammaxx GT RGB CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jun 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Always baffles me why these companies keep designing coolers with all the heatpipes stacked so close together! Separate them bad boys out over the full airflow area, not practically in a straight bloody line...

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Good point. I also wonder if it would help to introduce 'wiggles' in them to maximise their length.

To be honest, it's not as though air coolers have changed much over the last, say, 7-10 years now though.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Cos the heatpipes themselves are rubbish at convecting heat out into the atmosphere owing to their tiny, tiny surface area. A cooler's cooling performance comes from forced convection of air flowing over the large-surface-area fin stack, not the tiny-surface-area heatpipes. If you spread the heatpipes out, they'll end up blocking the air from flowing through the fin stack and reduce performance rather than increase it.

Basically, you want the heatpipes soldered to as many fins as possible, then as unobstructed an airflow through the fin stack as you can get - which means straight, vertical heatpipes in a nice neat line.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

But surely that rubbish amount of surface area/heat convection from the pipes means a large percentage of that cooler isn't actually being utilised? With every tower cooler I've used if I touch an area of the fin stack even 10-15mm away from the point that it's connected to the pipe, it is as cool as would be if there wasn't a heat source there at all...

Here's how my mind see's it, in Paint form:

[​IMG]

Patent pending, of course.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Some do stagger 'em out a little, like the Silverstone HE01, while others opt to disconnect the fin stacks between the heatpipes like the Scythe Mine 2. Basically, though, it makes such a little difference to cooling performance that everywhere except the very top end - where you're just doing things different as a means of justifying high prices - that nobody usually bothers.

Plus, you're assuming the straight-line heatpipes aren't spaced apart the diameter of one of your 'heat' circles just like the diagonal ones, in which case the advantage you're proposing is lost.

The fact that your heatsink is cool to the touch is evidence it's working well, not that it's working badly - unless your CPU is overheating and shutting down, of course!

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

But if we think of air as a vehicle for heat transfer, surely once it's passed through the first heat circle, it's capacity to pick up more "heat passengers" is reduced? Loosing more efficiency for every heat zone it travels through?

I'm not arguing btw, just trying to wrap my head around something I haven't given much thought in the past! :p