1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Scratch Build: Rey's Speeder - Mod of the Year Nomination!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Feb 2017.

1. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Woot Woot!!! Way to go how Exciting

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That came out awesome, of course. I'm still following you on BSG time, so I'm a little late to the finale. :lol:
    The scale pic: For some reason it seemed a lot bigger while building. Also, you need to tell you lawn crew to ease off a bit.
    Hover cases are the future! Now you have more desk space for loose change and perif cords.

3. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Hehe thx man. I love the small-ish size.. cant imagine building it to ATX specs. Hovering would be even more of a challenge then! :worried:

I'm currently refining my base/stand design so it will be less conspicuous. will post pics when done of course. :thumb:

4. Cown

Cown Minimodder

B. E. A. UTIFUL! :D

Job well done mate, and congratz on the nomination for MoTM!

5. Boddaker

So after a brief hiatus, I figured I'd jump back on this project and do some things I didn't have time for during the competition. I'll be making a few minor adjustments to the case here and there, but mostly I wanted to pay more attention to the base that supports the speeder.

My original design held up surprisingly well, but it needed to be clamped to the table to keep it from tipping over. So I went back to the drawing board and made some revisions.

I made a new vertical support with a more extreme angle to get the legs under the case more, then added angle bar to eliminate any flexing. Just using my spot welder since I dont have an actual big-boy welder lol. Also not too concerned with looks since it will all be covered.
    [​IMG]

Now it's really starting to look horrific! I chopped up some rebar to add some weight to the base, and used bondo to hold everything in place. Then I wrapped the whole thing with mesh.
    [​IMG]

Breaking out the epoxy putty, I started covering the entire base, making sure to work it into the mesh. Trying for a rocky surface look & feel.
    [​IMG]

Done and cured! Almost ready for paint, just gotta sand out any noticeable fingerprints and make it more rock-like.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I can get some paint on it tonight.. we'll see!

6. Boddaker

Got the base painted over the holiday weekend!

Took a while to sand it down, add glazing putty to fill in all the divots and other non-rock-like depressions, then sand again.
    [​IMG]

After prepping, I coated the whole thing with some stone textured paint I found in my paint cabinet. Looks pretty good already, but doesnt match the desert environment of Jakku.
    [​IMG]

So after that dried, I started airbrushing multiple shades of earth-tones in a mostly random fashion. I concentrated the darker shades in the lower valleys, and the lighter colors on the peaks and raised areas. Then I went back over with a really light color using the dry-brush technique to bring out the texture.
    [​IMG]

A close up shot of the vertical part. I think it turned out pretty sweet!
    [​IMG]

Next up is painting the keyboard and mouse to match the case. More to come!

7. Boddaker

Almost done with the Corsair peripherals..

Here is the keyboard and mouse that Corsair sent over.. the Strafe RGB and M65 Pro mouse.
    [​IMG]

After some minor disassembly and masking, I scuffed up the surfaces to be painted, then the usual prime coat/red base/yellow stripes.
    [​IMG]

After a few days of curing, I went over everything with steel wool to dullify the paint and take the sheen off. Then it was just a matter of airbrushing a light sand color over it all to mute the colors even more, and adding some dirt and grime here and there.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the mouse.
    [​IMG]

I will probably go back over some areas with a rust color for an additional layer of weathering.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks good, but I just remembered that SW color schemes tend to be loud. It should hide Cheeto dust really well, though.

9. Boddaker

Getting the Speeder set up on my desk, transferring all my data and games. This is probably the first time I haven't had to scramble before a LAN just to get it running in time, hoping nothing goes wrong when I push that button lol. ..then having to spend the first day there loading all my games and stuff. Woot for being ahead of schedule for once!! :D

[​IMG]

My daughter took it upon herself to add a couple riders on the Speeder, as it did look kinda empty without someone, or some thing, piloting it lol..
    [​IMG]

I keep adding more detail here and there.. The front grill felt like it needed something, so I dirtied up a Geforce Garage badge :p
    [​IMG]

10. Boddaker

I'm honored to have been nominated for Mod of the Year with Rey's Speeder! :D It's such a pleasure to be among all these phenomenal builds this year. Thank you Bit-Tech, and everyone who suggested my project!

After completing the new and improved rock-textured rebel base, I took more photos outside, but neglected to post them up.. So here ya go.. Thank you all again for the nomination, and enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

OMG that is AWESOME!!! WTG!!!!! Perfect!!! My Favorite hands down, I can't stop looking at it❤❤❤❤❤

12. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I can appreciate the 3d printing that went into this but it's the fact there's Soo many cool good old fashioned hands on modding skills on display here Boddaker , Easily a deserved winner!

Good Luck :thumb:

13. Boddaker

Holy crap! Is it really THE Defyant?? Great to see you back man! And thanks for the kind words.. Its always an honor to be nominated on Bit-Tech, and a real pleasure to hear from you again. :D

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

You brought Defyant out of lurking Bod!

Great stuff and congrats on the MOTY nomination.