1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK General Election 2017

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Risky, 8 Jun 2017.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Then the terrorists are in government.

DUP leader, Arlene Foster, not only met with the head of the UDA two days after they executed a man in a supermarket car park last month, but also resisted political pressure to divorce herself from an election endorsement by the Loyalist Communities Council, a joint body representing the UDA, UVF, and RHC.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For sure we won't know the exact details but the papers are reporting that...

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Indeed. Brexit is not brexit anymore. May pretty much made it impossible for herself to go for hard brexit. Brexiteers should prepare for EFTA it seems.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So many blonde jokes...

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wonder if the right wing press who attempted to smear Corybn with fallacious claims of him being a terrorist sympathiser will see the irony in that. ;)

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The prospect of DUP being kingmakers is downright alarming, Any fears anyone should have over Corbin becoming a majority PM or even the SNP should pale in comparison to the thoughts of DUP having any form of power.
    It'll be like letting a 5 year year old drive the car on a Saturday day out. A Parental Unit will still be needed to operate the pedals but the kid will have no focus on driving anywhere but will make damn sure the window wipers are working despite it being a bright sunny day.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think the Tories are immune to Irony... logic... and in some cases *cough*Boris*cough* Reality itself...

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It would be amusing if the Tories announce a formal coalition with DUP, and then Labour announce that they've persuaded Sinn Fein MPs to take their seats.

Amusement aside, if the conservatives cannot get a formal agreement with the DUP, and both Labour and the conservatives put through rival Queens Speeches, I'd bet on the remaining parties being more likely to support Labour than allow a Conservative government to form. They've burnt a lot of their remaining bridges recently, and even in the depths of Realpolitik many are probably thinking that a Labour party led by Jeremy Corbyn is more likely to negotiate and compromise with them on a bill-by-bill basis than the Conservatives lead by May (or by anyone else likely to be able to mount a leadership challenge and succeed).

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Last edited: 9 Jun 2017
  10. Risky

Risky Modder

Until September.

11. RedFlames

On twitter I saw someone describe the DUP manifesto as 'Basically the Bible, but with fortnighly bin collection'

12. Risky

Risky Modder

It was rather depressing that the people of Northern Ireland have decided that they prefer being represented by two lots of extremists.

The DUP seem very sectarian and SF never seem fully at ease with Democracy.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Totally off topic, but my local council's just switched to fortnightly collections - but it's not as bad as feared: they alternate general waste one week and recycling the next, have massively extended what you can put in the recycling bin (it now covers drinks cartons, yoghurt pots, things like that which were verboten previously), done away with the need to pre-sort the recycling, *and* you can ask for additional recycling (but not general waste) bins free of charge.

14. Risky

Risky Modder

It does make you focus more on what goes in the bin, but is easier for those with a big garage etc.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope, probably not, because the DUP are unionists. They - or their affiliates - weren't the ones blowing up military personnel, the IRA were. So they'll get a free pass, like Saudi Arabia and Qatar do.

Never in my lifetime have we had a minority government, and never in my lifetime has a snap general election been called. Whichever colours you run up your mast, there are certainly interesting/depressing times ahead.

I'm just glad to see UKIP being destroyed in parliament and gains for Labour in Wales.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I just can't see that coalition lasting.

Unfortunately very accurate.

Definitely not before the coalition falters and even then its doubtful.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Frankly UKIP had an even worse manifesto than the Tories.

Tories: "Hey I have an idea that will go down well: Let's remove the pension triple lock, force people to pay for social care by selling their home and bring back fox hunting".

UKIP: "Pah. We're going to ban burkas and inspect school girls' genitals!".

What could possibly go wrong?

18. Risky

Risky Modder

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Meanwhile Angela Merkel is travelling around South America today, and her spokesperson said that she would not comment on the outcome of the UK elections “out of politeness and respect”.

Feel the burn! :D

20. RedFlames