1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V PCIE Power Filter Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 16 Jun 2017.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

A friend of mine showed me this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elfidelit...xpress-audio-power-purification-/251894390541

He is under the impression he can remove the coil whine he is getting from his GTX 970 in his PC. I honestly couldn't say if this would actually work or if its just a load of junk and just appears that someone has put a lot of fancy looking parts onto a PCIE card that really look the business but actually serve no function at all.

He does have more money than sense but I'd sooner not see anyone taken for a fool if I can present them with a logical argument.

I've seen other posts on other forums but they all seem to be rather non conclusive.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Absolute snakeoil. That's no more going to improve the power supplied to his graphics card than the Tice Audio Clock.

Do not buy. 0/10. 1/10 with rice.

3. Behemoth

Thanks for the confirmation, I shall tell him later :)

The old saying "If something seems too good to be true, then it usually is" applies here.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Coil whine isn't caused by the "quality" of power, it's caused by the PWM inductors vibrating in their housings when put under high loads.

If his card is still within warranty most manufactures consider coil whine as grounds for an RMA.

5. Behemoth

Sadly he's had the card now for over 2 years, it's only since his Mrs has told him he plays games through headphones rather than speakers or not at all he's noticed it.

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Its sooo pretty, it must be good right? :lol:

7. Behemoth

lol I think thats how they are hoping to catch people out.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is no chance it could ever work as it is pointless on the most basic level (power supplies, mainboards and GPUs don't work the way they claim) and they have the nerve to recommend you to buy more than one, plus its grossly overpriced for the parts used on top of that.
    Kind of got to admire the guts of them to attempt such a blatantly obvious scam...

Perhaps the manufacturer should try my new invisible bungee cord, its totally real, only £99.99 per foot.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

To be fair though they're not really selling as anything but what it's designed for: Improving audio.

Although how much improvement an average Jo would notice is debatable as I've never noticed the effect of power supply ripple and all that junk on audio output.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which it also won't do. It's a device for parting fools from their money, nothing more than that. Oh, and it glows blue.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This is the same target audience that buys cables at several grand a meter [but don't you dare let them touch the floor]... and think anything from stickers to a few planks of ****ing wood make their Justin Beiber LPs sound better [or worse]...

These fools are very easily parted with their money...

12. Behemoth

We all know someone like that.

I've just told my friend about the fact this card is making itself out to be something that it isn't and he may aswell throw his money out in the street.

Now if he actually listens to me or not is another matter.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha and optimum use is using two :D

I wouldn't mind something to get rid of the noise on my sound card but I would bet those wouldn't be it.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

For that it would need to have a power output going to an audio device, which it lacks.
    The power going to the soundcard (regardless if integrated, add on card or external) doesn't even pass through that device, the only thing that gets "cleaned" power is its own led.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

FWIW i wasn't commenting on the validity of their claims, i was just pointing out that like RedFlames said some 'Audiophiles' spend inordinate amounts of time and money in the search of supposedly perfect sound.

Something that's entirely lost on me as i suspect I'm half tone deaf. :p

16. Gareth Halfacree

I think it was that you started your comment with "To be fair," then basically finished it off with effectively "they're not lying about it fixing coil whine on graphics cards, they're just lying about it making any difference to your PC's audio output."

Which, y'know, to be fair means they're still lying. :p

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IIRC I didn't say anything about it fixing coil whine, i said coil whine has nothing to do with the "quality" of power delivery, i also said that they're probably not lying about what they say it does, improve audio quality, and going on some reading i was doing on inline power filtering it does seem to have small but measurable effects.

18. Gareth Halfacree

No, it doesn't, and yes, they absolutely are lying. It literally doesn't work. It may have an effect on the system overall simply by drawing additional power from the PCI Express bus that wasn't being drawn before, but it's not 'filtering' anything. Literally everything the manufacturer claims about the device beyond "it's a circuit board" and "it fits in a PCI Express slot" is a lie. Simple, and fair, as that.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well i did say i was just pointing out that like RedFlames said some 'Audiophiles' spend inordinate amounts of time and money in the search of supposedly perfect sound, something that's entirely lost on me as i suspect I'm half tone deaf.

In other words I wouldn't notice the difference but apparently some 'Audiophiles' do.

I've learnt not to bother disagreeing with 'Audiophiles' as like RedFlames pointed out they have some strange beliefs like lifting a cable of the floor and other crazy stuff improves their experience.

20. Gareth Halfacree

You wouldn't notice a difference because there's literally no difference to notice. There's one constant with audiophile 'reviews' of devices like this, or the aforementioned and infamous Tice Audio Clock: they never come with any scientific measurements. Nobody ever does a double-blind ABX, or hooks up an oscilloscope; they plug it in and decide yes, they didn't waste humpty-tumpty pounds, it has made a difference!

It hasn't. It doesn't. It can't. It's gibberish.