1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jun 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Picture looks like a £12.99 wireless bundle shell ! if that's a representation of the actual product, I reckon it'll be as popular as the Modern UI of Windows 8.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

By 'modern' do they mean they have tried to make it look like an Apple mouse and keyboard? AKA horribly uncomfortable to use!!!

That aside, I do like the idea of the Bio-metrics, the Fingerprint sensor on my Samsung phone is very reliable (unless your hands are wet!) and extremely convenient, so having that capability on a home PC would be handy!

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Typing on an apple kb every day for 6 months pretty much killed my wrists, so as clever as the fingerprint id key is... i'll pass [that and the price].

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

While I put up with less-than-perfect keyboards on a laptop (actually the 'island style' keys on my current laptop aren't too bad!) I just can't do it any more on a desktop; the Apple style keyboards are torture to use - a lot of my colleagues use them. No idea why, beyond the 'slave to fashion' idea...

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Thank you Microsoft for making this so comically overpriced, next time someone complains about the price of a proper keyboard I'll have a joke keyboard to link to.

7. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

OK WTF bit-tech, I was typing a comment mentioning it is NOT compatible with ANYTHING but windows10 according to the linked MS site, when suddenly I went trough the login confirmation again and lost my comment.
    Oh well. the point is that MS is daft.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Who needs finger print recog on their home pc.

Seriously the secrets I need to hide.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, the 'specifications' tab showed full compatibility with everything bar Windows 7, but now is showing zero compatibility with everything except Windows 10 - making the keyboard even worse value than it was before. Skills, Microsoft. Skills.

10. RedFlames

Didn't Apple pull the same **** with their recently updated peripherals? I recall lolwutting at the fact they only worked with Sierra...

Yes... yes they did...

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha still have to reinstall Sierra. On the model of Macbook I bought you have to install it, let it update your Bluetooth and etc and then it continually goes into a loop telling you you've updated the firmware until you completely reinstall. No known fix.

I always thought OSX was pretty much bomb proof, but after buying this Macbook it seems times have changed a little.

12. RedFlames

Coming soon... Apple's Magic Keyboard with TouchID/Touch bar*, starting at a mere £200.

*only compatible with an iMac Pro running High Sierra.