1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooler for a Welder (little help pls)

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by M_D_K, 21 Jun 2017.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Howdy Folks,

Its been about 5-8years since I last water cooled anything so am a little rusty on what pumps and rads are good at the moment so would like a little bit of help with this scenario.

The welding set I have uses basic watercooler to chill the torch now these things are essentially a pump and a radiator but they charge the earth for them and they keep breaking every couple years they're also dead noisy too as the fans they use are terrible as are the pumps so I want to try my hand at making one.

Needs to run all day long so 8-10 hours at a time.
    Needs to pump the water through 16m of 6mm tube (torch)
    Radiator wise bigger the better to get rid of the heat quicker plus bigger fans are quieter.
    Pump running off 240v would be handy and the fans really

What I think will work.
    Eheim 1260 230Volt
    Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 280mm radiator
    240v Fan
    Will need to sort out some sort a way of slowing it down though its a bit noisy I think with 2 or more of these on the radiator.

Morgan.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Thinking back to my watercooling days, there are problems with having certain metals in the same loop, maybe galvanic issues with copper and alu? I never studied chemistry so won't pontificate.

Might be helpful to know what the current setup is made of so you can replicate it?

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

The torch internals are made from Copper, I'm not sure what the pump is made from but the radiator is also copper on the current set up, all the fittings are chrome plated steel and the tubing is Silicon I believe.

I can choose a copper radiator and make sure that the reservior is plastic as the pump is also plastic I believe ?

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

What kind of heat load do you need to dissipate and what is the coolant temp normally?

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I've ordered some cheap Chinese temp sensors :) so will check this and find out.