1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech 2017 refresh feedback: General site and forum feedback

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Hi, everybody. Welcome to the new bit-tech website and forums!

We're sure many of you have questions, comments, concerns, and feedback regarding the new website launch and forum migration, and we have three dedicated, stickied threads now set up to manage these that are being constantly monitored. Please read them before posting so we can avoid repeats and keep things efficient.

This thread is for all general site and forum feedback – please tell us concisely what you like, what you don't like, where you think we can improve, features you'd like added, and so on. If you are here to ask where a feature is or how to use a certain aspect of the new forums, please check here first. If you are here to report a bug, please go here instead.

Our priority right now is going to be bug fixing, but all feedback here will be collated and condensed in order to make a plan of action with regards to improving the new site/forums and introducing features. If you don't receive a reply, you aren't being ignored! Don't worry about repeating what others have said here, as this will help us gauge how important certain things are to the community and assess what the overall consensus is.

We know there is still work to be done, and that's why we're doing this, but please recognise that a lot of work has gone into making this transition happen. Please also keep all discussions civil, constructive, and polite. Let's all work together making bit-tech even better for all of us.

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Looks beautiful well done chaps!

3. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Yay! We're back!

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Where did all my thread subscriptions go?

Also: it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!

EDIT: Found it.

Double EDIT: Two-factor auth too, excellent...

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
  5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

At first glance the forums feel fresh, and appear quick. Glad to see them back.

Edit, no bit smilies :(

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the sites nice but i dont know about these forums.

7. davido_labido

These will take some getting used to, but they allow us to do far more. They are also far more secure.

8. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Glad to see the Forums back up and running.

Not glad that the amount of white with white on white with grey borders which is burning my retinas, I am having to squint at the forums pages to read them.

At some point (before I go blind ;)) could we have "a less white" theme.

Oh and as already stated no bit smilies....:(

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

using the forums at home at night instead of at work I actually really like this. So something like a night theme with a dark background and whiteish text? I'll look into it tomorrow. :). I'll also look into the smilies situation.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

OK, proper feedback time, based on my 10/15 minutes of use so far...

Niggles:

• I find it a little irritating that the "Home" links in the top left take you back to the main bit-tech.net URL, but that's probably just something I'll need to get used to.
    • Thread prefixes (e.g., "For Sale", "Donation", etc) aren't coloured any more; this made it quite easy to filter threads at a glance, especially in the marketplace section. Although in some sections they were more or less meaningless.
    • The crusty old smilies we know and love are gone! (as mentioned by @Gunsmith and @aramil already) Could we either go "full unicode emoji" or... possibly bring the old ones back?
    • Yeah, the theme is a little... stark. The plain white is kinda bright!
    • "Flash-based uploader" - Flash.... FLASH?!! - Kill it with fire!!!

[​IMG]

Stuff I Do Like:

• @ Mentions - I think we have them now, I'll find out when I finish writing this post; this is handy.
    • "New replies have been posted" while you're writing a post - this is present on a number of other forums I use and it'll be damn useful here, especially on some of the... "lively" threads in Serious.
    • Two-factor auth: Doubleplus good.
    • Haven't seen any bugs/errors yet (pat on the back, and some more coffee, for the devs)
    • EDIT: I can highlight text and specifically quote only that text from the post, instead of having to quote the whole post and then trim it down - nice.

I'm sure there will be more for both lists but it's late, my nose is leaking constantly, and this cold is making me grumpy.

11. davido_labido

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yep, that works :).

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh, before I forget, the main site - this has been bugging me since I saw the new design.

Each article thumbnail image has a little coloured bar next to it, and under the old design (see this post for an example) there was a single column layout. Now that there's a multi-column layout it feels a little... confused. When I look at the current front page it looks like the image on the right belongs to the text on the left - in this case it looks the image for the CM keyboard story belongs to the WipEout Omega review and the text on the right-hand side of the image is just kinda left hanging there. I think if those little coloured bars were moved to the left-hand side of the thumbnail image, rather than the right, it might make it that little bit clearer which image belongs to which story, and that there are two distinct content columns.

[​IMG]

mi1ez, MadGinga, Yukionno and 3 others like this.
  14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

You could add an "Inverted night type theme" it would be better, but just add tones to the current white, like turning it into a light blue/purple/grey.

Anything that is not shiny shiny white on white. Playing around with stylish, even taking the backgrounds and applying a tweak of grey makes the whole forums more readable

Edit: there is no forums link on the main sites menu:
    [​IMG]
    (nb I added the red before someone starts :p)

And the whole site is to narrow (does not scale with resolution/monitor width)

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
    IanW and MLyons like this.
  15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

@Byron C Thanks for the great feedback so far. Even using images and some great Photoshop skills. :p

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Windows Snipping Tool actually, never did get the hang of Photoshop :D.

17. MLyons

Are you trying to tell me that arrow wasn't done in Photoshop. No one is that good...

Harry likes this.
  18. Harry

Harry Lorem Ipsum

He got out his graphics tablet to draw that arrow

MLyons likes this.
  19. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I would have said it was done in Tilt Brush using the HTC Vive

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

To reiterate the things I complained about on twitter...

Most of the stuff is too small and/or a ballache to read, both on the main page of the site and the forums themselves.

Everything on the main page is crammed into a column <50% of the screen width... and then the problem compounded further as a third of that column is taken up by adverts...
    Most of the default font sizes, especially on the forums are too small... On a 1080p screen I shouldn't be needing to zoom in just to be able to read things.
    The contrast between the text and background of the forums is... off... It's hard to describe the offness, but basically I can't spend long periods of time on the forum any more as it give me a headache and nausea after a while [I wish I was kidding about the nausea...]

So, whilst i appreciate the work that's clearly gone into the refresh... the new site is doing my head in... quite literally in the case of the forums...