1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech 2017 refresh feedback: General site and forum feedback

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 27 Jun 2017.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just following EU guidelines...:p:
    I agree, still not sure what we're going to do about this.
    Think i might of fixed this id not. I'll do it soon.
    Should be fixed for new articles and they will be correct going forward.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Throwing a few unimportant things at you:
    I noticed when I was updating my profile that there were a LOT of mods I've done since I last updated.. I found out soon that there wasn't enough room in the text box for long-winded titles.

If the bars under the staff's avatars are group related, That means there's a possibility of adding bars for invite-only groups, right? You could have contributor, former staff, or BT folding team bars, for example. I'm sure Gareth would enjoy having a few more bars like 'big staff' or 'uber moderator.'

-and since the likes-rep givers are public now, I see no reason not to have dislikes. (That's not true. I can see us going full Scarlet Letter on some poor troll, but it would be fun.)

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, Brexit NOW! :p

The dark theme is... very dark. Can I suggest you change the black background to a dark gray?

(In web page design, pure blacks and whites are always best avoided.)

aramil likes this.
  4. Harry

Harry Lorem Ipsum

Light theme to bright... dark theme to dark... Never ending battle

You need a dark/light theme now

aramil and MLyons like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

6. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

There's some weird time issue going on in the response headers:

Expires "Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT"​

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to turn off expose_php

Not particularly important but I'd like to see some of the following say Yes:

OCSP stapling No
    Strict Transport Security (HSTS) No
    HSTS Preloading Not in: Chrome Edge Firefox IE
    Public Key Pinning (HPKP) No (more info)
    Public Key Pinning Report-Only No
    Public Key Pinning (Static) No (more info)​

Last edited: 29 Jun 2017
  7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Where is the theme setting?

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bottom left of the forum and I believe you can also do it in your profile preferences.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Will we be getting comments sections back at the end of news stories, or is a link to the forums going to be the default now.

Also, Can I get previous and next on news, or are you after the extra hits? ;)

10. MLyons

Not 100% sure on this. Last time we looked i think it's really tricky using the current forum system. I'll double check tomorrow and update this post.
    Not sure what you mean by this. I'm guessing like a button to go from one news story to the next one be it either newer or older. If so I'm not sure how it would work with the different categories but I do think it's a pretty good idea. I'll see if it's something we want to do and if we can do it. :thumb:

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yeah, I just meant buttons the same as it worked before. I log in of a morning, click through all the news, but save the articles for lunchtime. Would be nice to get these old buttons back if possible:
    (Also, that was a total PITA to add a picture!)

12. MLyons

I appreciate the effort. I'll see if we are adding this back In when I arrive at the office.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lol, I agree dark is too dark, light is eye searing and the purple or plum colour in dark just does not work.

What happened to the different colours on the threads that indicated when someone else had added a post to it?

i appreciate being new and the work which has gone into the new look tweaking will take some time. Overclockers had pretty much the same complaints when they recently changed the forum layout. But their dark is rather good though I think a member did that. have a look at this. https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=ocuk

14. MLyons

It's in the list of things to do
    Which one on there do you like the most. I might add a poll to my week review thread im doing later.

15. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The light theme is starting to grow on me, I think my eyes have adjusted to the brightness.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

17. MLyons

:duh: get accused of causing blindness in users
    spends time making a dark theme to save users eyes
    applies dark theme to the website
    users say they now like the light theme

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just the life of a dev
    so #1e2326 for the background?

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:D We just know how much you're loving working on the themes.
    Whichever theme people prefer, the forum does seem more responsive and the little notification of when someone has posted a new message before you click submit is very useful.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You should have expected that sort of reaction; how long have you been a dev...? :D

20. MLyons

so #1e2326 for the background?
    It's actually not too bad doing style stuff. It's much easier to test and a lot less high risk than the permissions stuff i was originally doing. Yh that notification has saved me a few times. All my time at the office atm is being put into the forum so it's keeping me busy.
    Not that long. I'm actually just an apprentice atm and the forum is my first big project I have a lot of control over and have contributed heavily to. Expected it just not that quick. it was just users not wanting/liking change.