1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Re: Project: shut up and be quiet!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by davido_labido, 7 Mar 2016.

1. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Well, the time has come again - New build log time!

This time, I will be reusing a lot of my older products... because... well basically they are good enough lol. I will be adding sponsors logos shortly, but I just want to get the bulk of the first post sorted out!

Watercooling will be mainly EKWB
    GPU and MOBO will be ASUS
    Fluid will be Mayhems
    RAM and SSDs from Hyperx
    Sleeving from E22

The only new addition to my sponsors list is be quiet! they have helped with previous builds but this time, I want to use their case!

So, without further ado, here is the case I have chosen:

Silent Base 600 - I was going to take the 800, but it looked a little too easy.

[​IMG]

I will apologise now, I didn't realise I was on manual focus until most of the way through the day, so all the early photo's are a bit crap (yes... again)

I love the Orange on this case <3

[​IMG]

This is the best out of the bad bunch to show you the whole of the case...

[​IMG]

As per usual I started to take the case apart to see what I could do with it.

[​IMG]

And forgot to stop taking it apart until it was in this state... I really should not start using a drill before I have any idea what I want to do.

[​IMG]

A quick test fit looks like things should work ok if I invert it, sure, there are a few little teething problems, but nothing I shouldn't be able to handle.

[​IMG]

Nothing really fits back together 100%, I have had to drill a few holes to ensure the case fits again.

[​IMG]

after I put it all back though, it all seems level

[​IMG]

And this is where I have left it for the evening.

I am really happy that this case can be swapped around, the switch around looks like it should give me quite a bit of extra space up the front.

[​IMG]

Well, it will after I sort this out tomorrow, those drive bays will be gone.

[​IMG]

So. that is it for now, quite a lot gone on with the case already, it will throw up some unexpected problems during the build no doubt!

2. davido_labido

So, I managed to get a hour in before I had to leave for my train, unfortunately this is only a small update and there won't be another for a few days as I am working away again... booo!

So first job of the morning was to cut those drive trays out, it is a shame be quiet! didn't make them removable, but when you have a dremel, anything is removeable! The cuts are not my best, but the missus had come home from working a night shift and I was in a rush to make sure that she could go bed lol.

[​IMG]

When I get home, I will file and sand these down so that they are level, it does mean that I can now use a 360 rad at the front of the case though! Win!

[​IMG]

This is the motherboard that I am going to be using again from ASUS, the X99 DELUXE - I do live this board.

[​IMG]

The only problem are the white accents, I don't think that they will suit the look that I am going for so they have got to go.

[​IMG]

I grabbed a craft knife and went at the two thin pieces of metal that create the white accents, I also managed to find one of my spare 5820k, so I will be using this in this build!

[​IMG]

By the time I had finished, and ran out of time to do much else, the motherboard looked like this.. X99 Deluxe... Stealth! It does need a little bit more of a clean as on the photo's I can easily see some glue left... grrr.

[​IMG]

So, that is pretty much all we have time for today, sorry folks! I will be back soon though! - (did i just turn into a 90's tv presenter?!)

3. davido_labido

Right, another quick little update!

So, I am currently thinking about using my ARES III in this build, mainly because a lot of people wonder what the hell it is when it inside a computer and it gets people talking lol. Most of you guys will have seen one I would imagine, but here are a few pictures anyways, they are so sexy!

[​IMG]

Number 14/500 represent!

[​IMG]

So... as you can see it is a little too... well, red, for this build. I need to Orange it up. Now, usually I would be getting the paint out, but I just can't bring myself to spray this GPU.

So...

first i took of the fascia panel

[​IMG]

Then the red acrylic - at this point I was kinda at a crossroads, my first idea was to just send this bit of acrylic to Parvum or E22 or somewhere and get another bit made out of orange, but then I had a quicker, cheaper idea. Vinyl. Here is the inside of the block though, ignore the mess, I need to clean it haha.

[​IMG]

I hate vinyl as a rule, I think results are usually a little bit touch and go, but I personally think I have done an alright job on this!

[​IMG]

I havn't figured out what I am going to do with the screw holes yet (I have changed the orientation of the plate, so none of them match their holes) but I am thinking of making some fake screws, I shall see I guess!

[​IMG]

This is my favorite picture of the card I think, this is the exact look I was hoping for - just need to sort them damn holes out!

[​IMG]

I have had EKWB send me some little bits out which should be arriving soon, and be quiet! are sending me a new PSU as I forgot the one I was going to be using was white :/

4. davido_labido

Right, as you saw already, I "stealthed" the mobo a little, but I wanted to add a little bit of orange to it.

So, I grabbed the board I am going to use, and then my spare X99 Deluxe (it has a dead PCI-E lane, but other than that it still works!) and started to have a play... you will see why I mention the second board shortly.

[​IMG]

So, first, I sanded down the IO cover to make sure it wasn't so glossy, paying particular attention to the corners, that is where there are usually problems with paint I find.

[​IMG]

A couple of coats of primer and a couple of coats of paint I got this...

[​IMG]

Then, I found some of the orange vinyl that I had and had a quick go on my computer to see if I could create the same shapes as on the other board, this is where having 2 was really handy.

[​IMG]

Once I had finished I created this :

[​IMG]

It is not finished yet, but I have some goodies coming soon from EK and I do not want to add too much to this until I get these parts, so these slivers will do for now :D

[​IMG]

I think they work really well!

[​IMG]

Well, that is it for now, I might have another little update later if I get time, my PSU from be quiet! arrived this morning so it is time to mess with that!

5. davido_labido

right, another very quick update and a huge thankyou to EKWB. I emailed them just to let them know I was re using some of the gear they sent me from their last sponsorship and they told me I could have some other stuff if I needed it, I did need fittings and tubing so took that straight away, but then I realised they may have something else I have been interested in...

[​IMG]

So, I opened the parcel and received the following, all the HDC fittings that I will need (14) and plenty of tubing (10 metres) and also the other toy ;)

[​IMG]

I have these fittings in white also, and I loved them, the computer I had the white ones in got destroyed by a courier coming back from an event, however not 1 drop of fluid was leaked. I know with some other fittings I would not have been so lucky![​IMG]

[​IMG]

This time I have gone for the EK PETG tubing for a change

[​IMG]

and finally the Monoblock, I have been interested with these for some time so thought i would have a look at one...

[​IMG]

Inside we have the block, screws, thermal pads, thermal paste some plastic washers and some destructions.

[​IMG]

The block is rather nice <3

[​IMG]

The only downside for me is that the ASUS logo will be upside down for my build now as I have inverted the case... so that will have to be solved somehow, I think if I put some orange onto the block i might be able to distract the eyes.

[​IMG]

The bottom of the block is rather shiney... this is the reflection fo the box on the CPU bit :eek:

http://s11.postimg.org/fuchs9a77/IMG_0672.jpg

Oh, I have just noticed, I will have to spin the EK sticker around also!

[​IMG]

So, I thought i would pop a few fittings in to see what they were like, look fine to me :D

[​IMG]

and then I finally fit the block

[​IMG]

Well, now this block is on there is far too much black and not enough orange. I will be using Orange coolant, but still, I want to add a little more to the motherboard. I also want to try and figure a way to hide the ASUS logo so i can add orange branding instead, il probably use some vinyl for it again.

6. davido_labido

Just another small update (I am actually liking these little bitesized updates, rather than showing loads of things I have done in one go!)

Last night I thought I would figure out how I was going to mount radiators in the case, flipping the mobo tray has meant that I lose the standard mounting holes, but we are still left with all this space.

[​IMG]

Obviously the front is screaming for a 360 rad, and there is space at the bottom for a 240 or at the top for a 120mm, but I can't find my 120mm EK rad, so until I find that I fo not want to put the 240 at the bottom as that will hide the mobo somewhat.

[​IMG]

So, time to drill some holes (and also actually set my camera so that it uses a bloody flash!!!)

[​IMG]

The holes were done and with a few little fans from the stockpile be quiet! sent me...

[​IMG]

the 360 rad is mounted!

[​IMG]

I also had a play with the vinyl that arrived... I was hoping I would get away with doing it without messing with the screws, but unfortunately it just doesn't look great.

[​IMG]

The problem I am gooing to have is that the screws don't quite sit flush on one or two of them, which is perfectly fine usually, the difference is minimal. and can only be seen when you have vinyl over them. It also means that the putty I ordered won't work as it will actually add mass. My only 3 ideas are... 1, use some thin acrylic, cut it to the same size as the block, attach it to the block then wrap the lot, or use some thicker vinyl under the silky vinyl. I do not want to tighten the screws any more than I already have as they are rather tight already.

My last idea though is to actually take the screws out, wrap the vinyl then put them all back in so they are seen, even though the screws will be on show, at least we have lost everything else.

[​IMG]

7. davido_labido

well, I got distracted by pizza :D but I had a crack at it with showing screws... tbh I prefer this a lot more. The only thing that bugs me now is the white letters on the ram!!

Ok, it needs a little dust removal lol
    [​IMG]

A quick test fit:

[​IMG]

8. davido_labido

Well, I thought I would do something about the silver/white on the RAM. So, I went looking online for the font or the logo that HyperX used and couldn't find it. So, I figured I would have to sort something out instead.

So, I took a picture of the ram moduale.

[​IMG]

And then traced the picture as best as I could in photoshop. I then chucked the traced image into my vinyl cutting software and gave it ago. These are the pictures from my frst attempt, they seemed fine until I put the pictures on my computer and I could see the horrible silver around the edges -.-

I had to do each letter..

[​IMG]

...one...

[​IMG]

...at...

[​IMG]

...a....

[​IMG]

...time...

[​IMG]

... I thought I was doing well, but as always, I checked my camera to see how it looked on there as the pictures really do show up any little issues, and they looked horrible =(

[​IMG]

So, I spend a hour or two tweaking each letter so that they were fatter in places, or longer, shorter etc etc etc and ended up with this <3

[​IMG]

They now look like they belong into the motherboard!

[​IMG]

This took me far longer than I expected, but I am glad that I went from the first few pictures that were failing me, to the point of the last pictures!

[​IMG]

To give you some idea of how long this took, here is half of the sheet worth of stickers lol It took forever to get the "P" right.

[​IMG]

I also did this:

[​IMG]

Considering I hate vinyl, I really do, I am doing ok this time! Usually I just lose my temper with it but *so far* I have managed to keep my calm and get what I think are alright results! :D

MLyons likes this.
  9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Looking good Dave!!!

10. Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw What's a Dremel?

This looks awesome! I dig it :)

-Jeffinslaw

11. davido_labido

Thanks Tim :D

Thanks buddy! I appreciate it!

Another quick update for you lovelly folks!

My friends at Mayhems sent me a nice parcel, as always they send everything I need to ensure my fluid looks exactly how I want it. I will need about 1.5 litres of fluid every time I fill the loop, but because Mick knows I am an idiot, he makes sure I have plenty :D

[​IMG]

hmmmmm Orange juice!

[​IMG]

As Mayhems had already seen the colour I was aiming for, they knew that it would be a little lighter than my vinyl, which is why they sent so many dyes too :D It is almost there so I shouldn't need too much of the dye, but we never know!
    [​IMG]

After a little while, I managed to get this colour.

[​IMG]

This is as bout as close as I dare to take it, I am not the best at colour matching, and I do not want to add too much dye and make it too dark lol.

I think it will be fine like this, what do you guys reckon?

12. davido_labido

So this is what I spent all night doing, I can't wait to go to bed *yawn*

As always I like to either make my own extensions or make a new set of modular cables, so it was time for me to get out my box of goodies.

[​IMG]

The first thing I made was the 24 pin ATX. This is actually 23 pins one end and 28 pins the other, so I knew I was gonna be in for a few double wires.

[​IMG]

The first job was to measure and cut the wire (notice I use white and black wire, the white for the orange and the black for the black, this means any cable bleed won't matter :) )

[​IMG]

Then crimp on the new terminals.

[​IMG]

Then sleeve all the wires, and grab a new 24 pin connector and a 20 + 8 pin connector for the PSU end

[​IMG]

I needed to make 5 double wires in the end and I also made a dummy wire for the missing pin on the 24 pin connector

[​IMG]

Once I had put them all into the connectors, we ended up with this:

[​IMG]

Once I had done these, it was only around 3 AM, so I thought I would do the GPU, kinda forgetting that the GPU has another 24 cables...grrrr

I just did exactly the same as before, 3 double wires this time (one for each connector) and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

I won't be plugging in the 24 pin motherboard cable yet, but the GPU cable is in, not bad IMO:

[​IMG]

So, that is it for a little while, I am back at work now for another 3 nights =( once I do get back it will be 4 days until I have to take the rig to I57 :D. I know I know, it is unusual for me to leave things until the last minute!

13. Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw What's a Dremel?

Cables look great! Love the ASUS ARES card as well :)

-Jeffinslaw

14. davido_labido

Thank you buddy :)

Just a very quick update here now but a bigger one tomorrow with how I did it and the finished articles.

Thanks bro, a bit more detail for you haha.

I was just watching the Englad Rugby match whilst playing around with the SSDs, this is my first attempt at the first one, I rather like it!

[​IMG]

I think I will add the "Savage" text in orange and then do the same to the other one tomorrow :D I will then do a proper post on doing them :)

15. davido_labido

I forgot to add the finished pictures of this build. As per usual, things got a little bit hectic and I forgot to update. I do have a lot of pictures though so I shall update this later tonight!

16. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

it's OK dude, only a year late :p

17. davido_labido

That isn't bad for me!

So, just to finish this thread off :D

I did both the SSDs the same... and popped them down the bottom.

[​IMG]

Then I wanted to make a little plate to put at the top of the case.

[​IMG]

The problem I had was that the pass through fittings were way too large, so I cut them down a little.

[​IMG]

They took some cutting and sanding, but I finally got there :D

[​IMG]

It allowed me to do this at the top, you may notice the horrible vinyl wrap, this was because I dropped the first panel, snapped it and needed to make one quickly, you can't see the edges or top, so it didn't need to be neat and I didn't have a huge amount of vinyl. It worked though.

[​IMG]

filling the loop was pretty easy, getting the top of the case back on... not so much. A little cutting and force made it work though.

[​IMG]

This was how it ended up, not bad really!
    [​IMG]

It ended up on the OcUK stand at one of the I-Series (I can't remember which one tbh). It did well though.

[​IMG]

We left the side panel off just so that it looked a bit brighter. After I-series, the build travelled the UK showing vendors and resellers what can be done with the be quiet! products. After that, it got flown to Germany, then to Taiwan, then back to me. The travel took its toll on the poor beast and unfortunately, one of the 90-degree fittings got damaged along the way and leaked a little. There was no dead hardware from this, but the couriers did manage to damage the case so it was pretty much unusable again.

[​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Nice system man. I just wonder why you never just put the heatsink under the IO cover back. Since you had another one laying around anyway.

19. davido_labido

I did :p it was only off for the first picture?

[​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  20. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I feel your pain with the ram vinyl lettering. Personally I thought the white looked fine !