1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I remember my first external SCSI hard drive. The drive was 5.25 wide and two 5.25 bays high. IIRC it was about 2gb. The external shell was about half the size of a Corsair 250D, and the cable was massive. And then you needed an Adaptec SCSI card for it too.

You should have heard the bugger spin up. It was like concorde taking off (10k RPM) and the clicks would make you jump. Thing had mega relays in it haha.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Change the style to narrow and all is good.

3. Vault-Tec

Not exactly ruining my life but incredibly annoying. So I bought a bike frame and fork with a few small parts (like brakes, brake levers, cables, bearings etc) and when I checked out Pitney Bowes charged me $65 "Import charges" "So you don't need to pay them on delivery !". So I thought cool, that's that paid and the parcel will come quicker because it won't get held up.

Then today I read the small print, and it says "Does not cover Customs Duties and Tax in your destination country". So basically I am looking at another £60-£100 when it arrives.

Very annoyed. Like super duper cross. I've paid for f*****g air.

4. Vault-Tec

I just paid £35.Yes.Thirty.Five.Pounds. To send a Titan X and an extra box. Checked out through P2G, printed off all of the labels etc. Then I get an email telling me I need to take it to the post office, half a mile away.

Royally pissed off.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

£35?! I don't think I paid that much to send a guitar and separate mini amp a year or so back!

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats a bit ****. give parcel monkey a try if you're sending anything anywhere.

7. Vault-Tec

It was £6.99. Then I dared to insure it.. They wanted £45 to insure it for full ex retail price (£900) and £35 to insure it for £500. So I insured it for the sale price of £325, cost me £23 in insurance. Then a surcharge for using Paypal etc..

I should have used Interparcel really. I sent a Bose Waveradio to Germany for £23 fully insured for RRP !

I was expecting PF to collect, then I get this email telling me I have to drop it off. Great, 8kg parcel that's 65cmx25cmx60cm. I was just a bit sweaty when I got back, and I've also got a nasty blister from these new Nikes which I swear were made for people with feed as wide as a broom stick !

8. Vault-Tec

haha three in one day !

So today, after worrying about it for 3.5 weeks since separating from my wife I logged into Eon to look at the bill. It said £90.59 CR. Like a **** I paid them £90.59, failing to realise we (well, me now) were in credit lmao.

Ah well, at least I won't be cold this winter :D

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Be careful with that dude, I'm with EOn too and trying to find time to call them and have a barny over recent billing...

I was £155 in credit 2 months ago, set up a fixed direct debit for £35 a month and in that time they've taken 2 x £35 direct debits as expected. What wasn't expected was them also taking £35 off my credit the first month, then another £47 off when I gave meter readings beginning of this month. So for 2 months I've essentially paid over £150. Gonna be a fun argument.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I dropped my Pentax K-50, the rear glass of the viewfinder blew to smithereens.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just mowed the lawn for the first time in months, i hate grass, i hate pollen, i hate the heat, i hate sweating

I ****ing hate summer :wallbash:

Almightyrastus likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Bill just came in after I gave them the meter readings. It's £103 debit, which I assume has to be paid monthly over the next quarter? I've gone for variable direct debit so god knows. Leccy and gas bills are stupid confusing, man.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I agree though companies will say that they are very easy to understand.
    What they seem to do is make bills colourful but cover the page in pretty meaningless numbers.
    Simple would be:
    You have used X amount of gas.
    We charged you X amount per unit.
    It cost you X amount this month.
    You are in credit/debit of this amount.

I have just received my final bill, which companies can legally take 6 weeks to issue by the way, which did not have the correct final gas meter reading in fact it was some 67 units higher which was around 25 units higher than i would use in the middle of winter. I discovered that when you give you first meter reading to your new company they pass it on to your old supplier who does not have to accept it. It then goes to an independent body and they decide on the meter reading you will be billed for. You cannot challenge this is the meter reading is less than 150 units higher. Except I refused point blank to accept this. Okay I would not be paying for gas until i reached the high reading but it does not alter the monthly direct debit.

After much complaining I got a revised bill with the correct reading and a further £71 refund which again the old supplier can take 2 weeks to issue so you might wait 8 weeks after changing suppliers to receive any monies due.

14. Vault-Tec

I think I know what happened. My ex wife set it to monthly fixed and for the past few months (not quarters) they've taken £53. But of course it was a long winter and thus it probably wasn't enough. It won't reflect this past month where I haven't use gas at all, not the reduction in leccy etc.

I also gave them the meter readings the other day, so the bill will now be actual and not predicted. Not fussed. I've basically budgeted £100 PM for leccy and gas, which should be more than enough with a single person living alone.

Edit. Basically what I am going to do is pay £100 PM whether they want it or not. I would rather have credit in case we get a **** winter tbh.

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Gah, I get you there. My wife is extremely allergic to pollen(her eyes close up, etc.), so I have to do the gardening. God I hate gardening so much. I'd rather stab myself in the leg if it meant never doing it again.

Gunsmith likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

This is one of the benefits of not having any outside space to tender at all.

The downside? our supposed "Bin cupboard" is right outside the front door of the basement flat. Which means I would have to carry it out, then down the really tight stair case and basically dump it all in front of their front door. Which because I'm not an Ahole and won't do I have to keep all of my rubbish inside. Which means lots of double, sometimes triple bagging to stop it stinking in the kitchen.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I haven't felt hung over like this in a long long time. We used to go out and get drunk like that every two weeks, we'd regularly be going to bed anywhere between 3am and 5am. I've no idea how I used to manage it...

18. Vault-Tec

Welcome to old age fella.

19. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Thunderbugs.

Absolute swarm of the bastards and they all homed in on one of my Lovely Lenovo 1200p screens. Within the hour 5 of the bastards were inside the panel between the back light and the LCD. Inside there were about 50. None to be seen anywhere else in the room however, so bloody crafty!

[​IMG]

Got them out with minimal traces, have sealed my study off and sprayed with fly spray every few hours and my desk is covered with corpses of the buggers. To hell with them :(

20. Pop Alexandra

Pop Alexandra What's a Dremel?

Living with my future in-laws for a couple of weeks.