1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

So it's still worth picking up a DK2? Can't afford a Vive until next year. Would a DK2 be okay for dirt rally and project cars?

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Eh, not unless it's really cheap.
    - "Official unofficial" support was only promised until the end of last year, so an update could break support at any time
    - You lose out on the ability to add motion controllers, or more tracking cameras
    - No rear tracking markers, so no turning all the way around with a single camera
    - Screen is comparatively a bit crap compared to the Rift CV1 or Vive (or PSVR), fill factor is much lower
    - No IPD adjustment, so unless you eyeballs already happen to be 64mm apart you'll get a blurred image with chromatic aberrations, and Orthostereo will be broken

3. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Brb gonna measure eyes....

Think I'll just skip it then... I did see the CV1 selling for £380 at CEX but not sure it's worth a risk

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I picked up a DK2 for £150 a few months ago and it's definitely been worth it for me. It's a damned enjoyable experience, despite the issues @edzieba mentions, and Elite Dangerous is absolutely amazing in VR (on the other end of the scale however... DiRT Rally in VR... barf city!!). The biggest issue for me is how long Oculus will continue to support the DK2: as @edzieba points out, Oculus only confirmed support until the end of last year, any new version of the Oculus software could kill off compatibility. It'd be a dick move, but it's their ball and they can take it home whenever they want (and Oculus Home does repeatedly nag you that DK2 is no longer supported). Apparently the OSVR SDK does support DK2, so that might be a way out when Oculus drops DK2, but OSVR is far more immature than Oculus' software and is supported by far fewer games.

What the DK2 has made me realise is that no matter how much better the screens or motion tracking might be in CV1 or Vive, and no matter how much more "immersive" the motion controls might be, "consumer" VR headsets are seriously not worth the money IMO. There is simply not enough content to justify investing £760 for Vive or £600 for CV1 (plus god knows what else extra on additional games, if you don't already have VR-compatible games). If the price comes down to around £400-£450 and still retains the same kind of quality experience you'd get with Vive or CV1 then yeah, I'd be singing the praises. But not at £600 and £760.

The best advice is: try one out, if you can. If you love it then you can probably justify the £380 CV1 you saw in CEX. £380 is much more reasonable, though I doubt it has the motion controllers at that price.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup have to say I agree. I spent about a week using mine and haven't touched it since.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

OR CV1 + 2x Touch controllers currently £399.99 @ Amazon

7. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

damn that is a good price. if I hadnt just changed my car i would be all over it :(

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As would I, if I didn't have 2 overseas trips to pay for this month.

Looks like it's Oculus cutting the price for the next 6 weeks, not Amazon. See Bit's front page.

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Would that amazon deal be worth it or should i just save for a Vive? I haven't really followed VR so I'm not sure what is the best atm but last time i think i looked it was the vive

10. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

the vive is currently around the £760 mark, the vive is probably the better headset to go for but with the rift currently being £360 cheaper its not worth it in my opinion

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, that's more like it. If I had £400 spare I'd be all over that.

12. Vault-Tec

Hmm I don't think I would. Lots of factors really. Firstly they are being sued left right and centre, what happens if they go tits up and the store closes? Secondly they don't have enough software, and games look gash (outside the car for example, it's like 640x480 all over again.)

I still don't think it's mature enough to drop £400 on.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So you'd recommend saving for the vive?

14. Vault-Tec

No. I would recommend waiting until it also gets a major price cut. I have a feeling that like many other things (BR vs HDDVD etc) only one of these will be around long term. And right now the content is laughable, unless you are buying it for ED.

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I had a VIVE, and I thought it was fun, but it did feel a bit like a proof of concept/tech demo. I spent most of my time oohing and aahing at how immersive it was, but I thought the resolution was a bit disappointing. That said, it was very cool. £400 is starting to get into the realms of 'why not'!

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Same can be said of the Vive, Valve are known for going full-speed on things then dropping them when they get bored COUGHSteamMachinesCOUGHSteamOSCOUGHHalfLifeCOUGH. Facebook are unlikely to go anwhere anytime soon, they could just acquire Zenimax outright if they wanted. More likely, neither will abandon their VR efforts anytime soon, both are in it for the long term rather than for short-term profits.
    Game availability is a problem for both, though Oculus are pushing out a lot more funding to developers than Valve. HTC is doing some weird venture capital stuff, but some of it is tied to moving to specific locales (Vive accelerator), and some is tied to release on their Viveport platform which implements a hardware check. In either case, it's easier to use a Rift with SteamVR than it is to use a Vive with ReVive, so the practical software selection with the Rift is larger. The stream of new releases is already large enough that "just play everything" is no longer practical.

17. Vault-Tec

Valve released an update for Half Life today... lol.

Seriously though I reckon Vive will win long term.

18. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

You might want to see a doctor about that cough :hehe:

I wont bank on any of them winning long term, there's still plenty more manufactures that are going to release headsets, I think that this "war" between vive/rift and exclusive content will eventually fizzle out once there's a big market for VR and 10+ manufactures making headsets, hopefully it will come to a point where it be stupid for game developers to limit their games to 1 headset and limit their player base.

At the moment there's not enough people buying into VR so Oculus/HTC are scrambling to pick up as many users as they can by releasing exclusive content.

I'm looking forward to see what the HP/Lenovo/Acer headsets are like as they seem to be pushing towards the "cheaper" end of the market

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I had to jump on Oculus Rift + Touch bundle deal. The best £400 I've ever spent!
    VorpX is a must have to play games that are not VR compatible. I'm running mine off a MSI GE72VR 6RF laptop. The GTX 1060 seems to handle everything with ease.

20. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Couldn't resist the £400 deal any longer, pre ordered it from GAME. It's going to be a long couple of weeks waiting for them to get stock in.

Anyone played lone echo?