1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Amazon are doing a Prime 30-day free trial at the moment.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I cancelled that after they tricked me into it a couple of weeks back.

My day is getting better. Turns out the SSD I bought can not be used an any adapter I can find.

Turns out I am a complete pilchard.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Nothing wrong with marriage but joint accounts, I don't think so.

4. Vault-Tec

T'was only Amazon. Everything else was kept separate.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My wife and I have individual but linked Amazon accounts, so we only need one Prime subscription, and a joint bank account. Well, a joint current account: she also has her old account with a different bank that just sits there, and several savings accounts are in my name only.

Problems experienced after a decade of marriage: zero.

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Sounds remarkably similar; apart from the decades part... seems to work for us!

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Problems only arise, surely, once marital bliss is not quite so, well, blissful.:grin::grin::grin:

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can't see anything happening that would cause a problem. I'm not going to run off with the cash, and if she ran off with the cash it'd be a bit self-defeating 'cos there's no more where that came from. If we split up we can just both continue to draw on the joint account until the financials are finalised, at which point its contents will be split and whoever gets custody of the kids will receive the usual ongoing stipend from t'other. Whoever gets the house would get the account itself, I guess, 'cos that's from whence all the bills are paid.

The awkwardness of dealing with a joint account post-theoretical-future-separation is, I'd wager, considerably lower than the awkwardness of one family member not having access to family funds. I can't imagine how annoying it'd get if I had to accompany her to the shops every day or dole out pin money in cold, hard cash!

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Happily playing Motorsport Manager when I start hearing a familiar "clacking fan" noise; a noise I thought I'd solved with a new CPU cooler and a bit of cable tidying. Turns out it wasn't the CPU fan or the GPU fan, it's the PSU fan. Great. Really don't have the budget to replace the PSU this month; I already need a CPU cooler that can deal with the heat of an original-gen Haswell. And this evening I have no desire to strip it all down and find out whether it's terminal or just a loose cable inside the PSU - you don't simply "remove the PSU" from the RVZ01, everything else has to come out first. F'ed if I'm doing all that on a weekday evening when I've had a long day at work and still have a ton of stuff to do; especially not when I have halfway-capable gaming laptop and I'm already planning to shift the innards to a new case at the weekend. Except that Steam utterly refused to download anything at all on my laptop. I've just spent half an hour cajoling it into working and now I don't really have time to finish the race I had to abandon.

All I wanted to do was play Motorsport Manager for an hour or so...

10. Vault-Tec

Mate I totally feel your pain. Three days back my pump fan controller died and today the SSD went home. I swear that rig was determined to break down and cost me bloody money !!

I don't know what is worse. The £48 I had t spend on a new SSD or the fact that I had to lift that thing onto the floor. I forgot how heavy it was. Easily the heaviest rig I have ever owned. I'm now stuck on Ubuntu which means I can't play Fallout 3. Sucks bottoms.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

having spent today driving 384 miles.

12. Vault-Tec

ARGH.

So yesterday my parcel (bike frame, forks and brakes etc) was handed over to Hermes. It was supposed to go out for delivery today, instead I am getting this.

Delayed - investigating

I Googled it. Many people said it was followed by "We are sorry your parcel has been stolen". So I waited 40 minutes to get through to an agent on Live Chat. I asked her what "Delayed - Investigating" means. She would not answer. Instead she just said "It is in the warehouse". It took her about five minutes to reply to each question, but she kept dodging the issue. So I asked for the phone number to the Southampton depot, and guess what? she didn't know that either. So I asked her if she actually knew the phone number for the company she worked for and she didn't know that either.

Amazing isn't it? how can some one work for a company, yet can not answer a single question about that company?

I mother f*****g *HATE* Hermes. They should be made illegal.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ They had a package I ordered priority from the US. It shipped and passed through customs in 2 days. It then sat in their Middlesex warehouse for 8 days. I ask them repeatedly why, and their reasoning was that the customs process went faster than the expected, and they had 'no available drivers'

IT WAS 20 MILES FROM MY OFFICE. I COULD HAVE WALKED THERE AND BACK.

I used to think City Link were awful back in the day, but MyHermes are just horrific.

14. Vault-Tec

Just on the phone to them now after speaking with 13Ten and getting a number that doesn't just cut you off after it's told you to go on the website. I just want to know it's safe and OK, this is making me feel sick.

15. Vault-Tec

Got through after 7 minutes of waiting, probably at 10p or more a minute. Any way, he contacted Southampton depot and he said that the parcel has to be handed over to *another* courier because it is too big for Hermes to deliver. Apparently it should not have been given to Hermes by 13Ten. So that takes up to 3 working days and I was due to go away on Saturday. Oh joy.

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I never had a problem with City Link. My Hermes & Yodel however are a different story. Yodel threw a package of mine over a fence once, I know it wasn't something that could break easily it was just a pair of trousers BUT it was the fact the driver was too lazy to hand it to a neighbor as instructed to on the sign we left on the door for deliveries that day.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They used to say 'Wasn't at home' when id taken a day off to wait for stuff, and just never turned up. Then it was a 15 mile drive to go and pick the stupid thing up.

Happened a good 5 times, all with the same driver.

18. Vault-Tec

Knowing my luck they will hand it to Yodel. I love Yodel. They are the best courier ever. I will never forget the time when a foreign bloke in a hi vis jacket got out of the van, scratched his balls, got back into the van and then drove away. Citing, and I quote "he could not find the address" even though I was about 40 FT away yelling and waving my arms.

Hah. Just remembered something else. I ordered Yodel to come to the house in Dorset where I lived to collect an Ipad. After five attempts to find the house they gave up and gave me a refund.

19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I told myself replacing my HDD with a SSD in my 2008 mac was worth it (if you add up all the seconds your applications take to load, over the next couple of years it would probably of saved me time) I didn't expect it to take me two damn days, probably bringing that figure right down haha

20. Vault-Tec

Just burned the crap out of my tongue and chin eating a pot noodle too soon.