1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable How mental would I be to buy an eBay battery?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theshadow2001, 18 Jul 2017.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So my phones battery is going bad and its starting to annoy me now.

The phone is so old that I can't get a new official Samsung battery and given their recent history that might not be bad thing.

I've looked at some "legit" websites but they seem to be selling the same kind of ebay batteries.

Buying from Amazon uk (or anywhere else in the uk really) isn't an option as they won't ship batteries overseas and sometimes not even to northern Ireland. Ebay seems like my only real option right now.

So what say you? Are the batteries on ebay trust worthy?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

What phone is it? Anker carry some Samsung batteries and I'd trust them over any ebay battery.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've bought a few over the years with no ill effects - iirc there was a problem with replacement Galaxy S4 batteries, which had a habit of bulging.

I am less enthusiastic about cheap chargers for phone/laptops etc.. there are some real fire hazards there. However, as I said, I've had no problems with batteries.

4. theshadow2001

It's a Note3 the website redirects to the wrong product on Amazon US
    Yeah having seen Big Clive on youtube take a few a part. I'd feel safer making my own one over some of the cheap chargers that come out of ebay.

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Ah, my apologies, I didn't realise Anker didn't sell their batteries over here.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've bought a few Samsung branded Note 4 batteries from eBay. With one exception they were all fake. With Amazon all but 2 sellers sold fake ones. I'd say the odds are about 50:1 of getting a genuine Note 4 battery

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I bought a battery for my ex wife's Galaxy tab and it was ****. New and sealed branded Samsung but obviously fake. It only lasts about an hour, if that. Probably a dead one they repackaged.

Saying that though I've bought a few phone batteries for Blackberrys and they've all been good. Ebay is just rife with fakes these days. You order anything Nike on there and I guarantee it will be fake, even the trainers. I bought two pairs of jogging bottoms and they both split on the arse crack after two washes. I order directly from Nike and Adidas now. Wait for the sales like, bought a £150 pair of trainers for £75 was well pleased.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I had the same experience, but from eBay. Bought a note 3 battery claiming to be original etc. First day battery bulges, contacted the seller who gave me a full refund.

Anker sell batteries in the us, I might be going in august. I'll holler if I do and can pick one up for you. Failing that I just hired someone in our ny office and we are regularly shipping stuff to the us. Am confident the new guy will want to be earning browny points with his new boss, ;)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

10. theshadow2001

I'm under no illusion the batteries will be third party / fakes which is really the reason for this thread as I don't see any other option other than buying a new phone which is not an expense I can handle right now.

This is the type of concern I have with buying these kind of knock-off batteries.

That's very kind of you to offer but I think its a litte too much trouble for you to go to just to grab a battery for a phone that is end of life anyway.

Ali Express is definitely another option but my concern is about the safety of these devices I'm not sure I would be getting any better there than I would on ebay.

11. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

OK offers there, I need to get two for myself anyways. (My dad and I both still rocking note 3''s) still unsure when I'm going I'll let you know.