1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils Win10 IoT Core Glas thermostat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wonder if they'll find a way to get candy crush and other bloatware on this as well. :lol:

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

They day I have to have internet-enabled heating/power/lighting/whatever control is the day I cut myself off the power grid and buy a diesel generator and some solar panels. Smartmeters are bad enough. IoT is a security nightmare just waiting to happen. I even bought a monitor instead of a TV (despite a TV being cheaper for the res/diagonal) because I didn't want to have a "smart" TV.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

People have already adapted ransom-ware to thermostats causing the room to be super heated until a ransom is paid.

5. Paradigm Shifter

I would say, "I hope you're kidding"... but I know you're likely not (I've not seen any news regarding that, but I've not really been paying enough attention recently).

Interestingly, for such a technologically advanced country overall, Japan is remarkably conservative regarding stuff like IoT control of homes. At least where I am based.

6. MLyons

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/08/smart_thermostat_ransomware/

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

At least Microsoft have been doing a good job of keeping Win 10 updated, which is a damn sight better than pretty much every other IoT device. Android Things is still in developer preview (and if not handled carefully could have the same issues as with Android of OEMs failing to actually update their custom Android variant in a timely manner - if ever), and most IoT devices use a vendor-customised minimal Linux distro that then gets updated in the same way the custom distros in home routers do: basically never. .

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

..on that Register story, surely it'd be cheaper just to buy a new thermostat?!

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...I'll believe it when i see it...

...and then dismiss it until i see evidence of it existing outside the US

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

It's pretty, but no.

11. Paradigm Shifter

Tags: Add Tags