1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Some camera help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 21 Jul 2017.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying the EOS Rebel XT in the marketplace as my first foray into the DSLR world but I don't know if it's any better than my current camera. I've got a Sony DSC-H300 but given the difference in release times I can't seem to find any real comparisons (other than spec lists, but other than MP rating, it doesn't mean a lot to me).

Any advice?

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Within reason, most DSLR cameras will be better than a compact/bridge camera. The MP numbers are relevant to some degree, but most DSLR cameras have bigger sensors and better low light capabilities that compact models. Really, the MP number is a e peen business, and only really determines overall print size - in fact, more pixels may reduce low light ability.
    When I used to sell digital backs in the early 2000s, a 35mm film sized sensor with 6MP would be good enough for a poster and al for £20K+!
    I don't know either camera in detail (just had a quick look at the DSC-H300 on the web to get an idea), but £60 for a camera and lens isn't going to hurt if you don't like it.
    The Canon has a fixed rear screen, it looks like the Sony one is articulated - this may be a problem or not.
    DSLR viewing is still nicer [IMHO] than almost any (affordable) camera with an electronic viewfinder, and you have a huge range of lenses to swap onto the Canon, as it's interchangeable.
    Newer models will have more pixels (helpful for larger prints if you need), and more features - stuffs they think you need!

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The "Rebel XT" is the US name for the UK "Eos 300D", if you're spec sheet chasing?

As Arboreal says, there's a huge range of lenses, as Canon have not changed their mount system for 25 years or so.

4. noizdaemon666

I didn't know it was the American name for the 300D! And thanks for the info Arboreal :)

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The first digital camera I used for magazine work was a 4MP Pentax. Four!

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Four? Four? When I started, with digital cameras we had a stupidly expensive Apple Quicktake at VGA res...
    The only other half decent affordable ones were Olympus Cameda compacts at VGA res using Smart Media cards. Nikon [we were a Nikon Pro Dealer] only had PCMCIA cards, and we didn't have any laptops then.
    Never saw the first DSLR, the Kokak F3 based DCS monster with shoulder pack, but did sell a Nikon E2 camera a couple of times that was pre D1...wow happy days while film still thought it had a future

/MontyPython Four Yorkshiremen

Just remembered the Canon Ion... Went to the launch day for it at the Williams factory museum next door to the factory in Didcot. It was actually analogue IIRC, saving on a proprietary tiny floppy disc.

BTW, enjoy the EOS noiz! I see you've said yes to it!

7. noizdaemon666

You two guys must be old or something :p

And yes, I decided to go for it :)

8. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

I think we are all old or something

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Just looked up Rebel XT, 8MP. More than enough! But if the lens was also from 2005, upgrade to a nifty-fifty will go a long way.

I'm still perfectly happy and prefer to use my X100, 12MP. I sold my Canon 5D mark 2 and all its kits because I got more enjoyment using the X100. The ONLY reason I purchased the mirrorless X-E2 was because I wanted more perspective variety in my photos, the X100 is a fixed prime lens. But I still use X100 more.

Arboreal likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My first digital camera was a VGA resolution HP thing, but I wasn't using that for magazine work!

Arboreal likes this.