1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i7 930 shift to Ryzen...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 30 Jul 2017.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Was it really that bad??

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oh ffs! Getting back into all of this and I've just found the Inwin 303, native 120.3 radiator support. Lovely looking case for the money but the lure of ATX is strong with this one! The Inwin 301 is also a tasty option.

I spent the evening throwing this together so I could see the physical differences in the chassis.
    (Blender/Inkscape, oddly all done on my Stinkpad X240 i7)

[​IMG]

I am struggling to see the virtue of going ITX with a full size GPU and PSU which is what I was aiming to do. As I mentioned the Inwin 301 is a strong contender but even at this stage it seems to be still on the large side for what space I have on my desk...

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just looking around at the reviews here, and I can only find reference the Gigabyte Z170 ITX. Now knowing manufacturing there is no doubt they've played lego with common parts such as the VRM's.

Nothing against Bit-tech reviews, but sometimes they lean a little on the pro Asus fanboy train at times, which I can find off putting as when I first came here there was a true non-bias review style. I'm not so sure what Asus are like these days, but I found them to be overpriced back in the day for what you really got. ( That was then, this is now.)

Just going to say, I miss EPoX, DFI and Abit and wish they came back to the game.

4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

You have the AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac now available, get past the sucky Fatal1ty branding and it's a great board.

And how's about the In Win 101??

This is mine -

[​IMG]

It's a great case with a ton of room and plenty of rad support especially if using an ITX or mATX board :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Aug 2017
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I agree with this. It does feel at times as if Asus get a bit too much focus at the expense of other board manufacturers who are churning out top quality products too. Perhaps it's because Asus are more forthcoming with review samples or whatever.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I got my LPX 3000MHz to its spec speed easily with XMP a couple of weeks ago. The memory type differences are fading.

If you want to pay more for the 3200MHz then you may well be right to stick to Sammy B-die, but the value proposition there really fades away as the memory prices jump up a notch.

Just thought I should stick in a dissenting opinion here :p

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3000-3600 barely makes a difference. The main difference is 3000's speed over 2133. Couple of weeks ago you could get Team Group 16gb (two 8s) for £109. I wouldn't spend any more than that. That is the stuff my mate used in a build for a client using the B350 Arctic board and with a bios update it went straight in. Crashed before the bios update, mind, but yeah make sure you get that updated pronto :)

Edit. Just noticed you mention ATX. Do it, for a few reasons. Firstly if you read the review of the Giga you can see ITX boards were not made for Ryzen with many cores. It will choke, unless you use a top down cooler on air. Secondly you can get the Strix if you go ATX. One of the best value boards I have ever seen.

+1 for the Inwin 101 too, especially if you are going water :)

9. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I'd put out a shout for mATX if you'd like to keep it on the small side - mATX only cases are fairly rare, but they are nice and small. MoBos also cheaper than ATX but often providing very similar features indeed.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

It would seem as I tumble down this rabbit hole, I am being forced more towards the ATX platform and a B350 motherboard.

The Inwin 301 chassis is restricted to power supplies of 160mm physically due to the installation access. Since I am wishing to re-use my Corsair RM850 which is 180mm in length, currently I am thinking the 303 is the better option.

The fractal Define Mini could be an option as it could take the RM850, similar size to the 301, however its aesthetic reminds me of cases from 10 years ago...

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Gonna throw this into the mix as I've been looking at RAM for my next thread ripper build ( assuming it's worth it over the 1700, awaiting benchmarks atm).

The Gskill trident Z RGB ram is beautiful, however i'm reading a lot of people having issues with it and ryzen, something to do with the software overwriting SPD info, killing lights and killing sticks of RAM and G.Skill not honouring it under warranty despite their software being the cause of it.

The general consiencus over on the g.skill forums seemed to be, buy it, use it and don't touch the RGB software until g.skill fix it, OR download the Asus RGB software (the gskill is just a ctrl C/ ctrl v version), but that also has it's issues. It's a real shame as I've got the 32GB (4x8gb) trident Z RGB 3200 kit in my amazon basket.

12. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Mine have been running perfectly, but I use the Aura software as you mentioned. I didn't know there were issues with the sticks/software. I wouldn't worry too much in all honesty. Just make sure you know your rights and you're fine.

Failing that... slaughter them with 2v+ for a few days. That'll make them RMA worthy. :)

alfizzle likes this.