1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Grey Wolf

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by p0Pe, 19 Jul 2017.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Greetings people!

This will be a somewhat "quick and dirty" build that I was hired to build for a fellow Dane. I have not been able to share any pictures until now, so lets get some work in progress, and other stuff running!

First a little teaser of what will come of this thread!

[​IMG]

I am going trough my pictures and video as I type this, so updates will come as I get them edited. Since there is a great discussion about wolves in Denmark right now (They recently where spottet in the wild, and has been breeding) I thought it fitting to name the project accordingly, also since the color scheme is very fitting.

Specs:
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Glass
    Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS K5
    Graphic card: Gigabyte 1080 TI
    CPU: Intel 7700K
    RAM: 32 gb Klevv Cras
    PSU: Corsair HX850I
    SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 512 gb

Watercooling:
    Waterblocks: EK
    Radiators: EK
    Fittings: Bitspower
    Fluid: Mayhems Pastel dark grey

A big thank you goes out to EK, Bitspower and Mayhems for sending some parts for this build!

Lets get started! First update here will be a few pictures of the hardware used.

[​IMG]

Choice of card for this build was the gtx 1080 ti.

[​IMG]

Great performance, and looks, but an absolute pain to take apart.

[​IMG]

Motherboard is the Gigabyte AORUS K5. No need for a super high-end board as the build will most likely never be overclocked. I do like the built in lighting, but the motherboard REALLY lacks a temperature in port.

[​IMG]

Not too flashy, just good looking.

[​IMG]

I originally planned to just use a stand alone CPU block, but saw that EK had this great looking full cover block that fittet the board. I was quite nervous for how the light was going to work out, as many LED's put into stuff like that is super bright and not at all diffused. This one was luckily super good looking when turned on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really digg the looks of this block!

[​IMG]

The GPU got a full cover EK acrylic block and a silver backplate. I recently started using the silver backplates instead of the black backplates, with no regrets. They can really spice up a build!

[​IMG]

I really like that they have removed the DVI connector from this card. Single slot just looks so much better.

[​IMG]

Matches the board quite well.

[​IMG]

And also teams up quite nicely with the motherboard mono block.

[​IMG]

The two colors I decided on trying out. In the end, the left darker grey won. The fluid is the new grey pastel from Mayhems.

[​IMG]

Planning the layout of the build.

[​IMG]

And a little special something I decided to make!

More will come soon! Thank you for reading:)

2. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Looking forward to more! :D

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Dude, loving the tease! Are you doing any video uploads for this one? the loop looks tasty! Looking forward to more.

J.

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Coming right up!

Indeed I am! Just finished one, and it is right below:D

Update 2! Cables :D

I made a video with my fancy new camera, so be sure to check that out! It shows the entire cable making process.

[​IMG]

These are the steps I go trough when making the custom length cables.

1: Cut wire to length + 5-10 cm
    2: Crimp one end
    3: Put sleeving and heatshrink on, and finish that end
    4: Stretch the sleeving, and cut where you can feel the wire ending
    5: Burn the end you just cut, and squeeze the sleeving together
    6: Route and cut the wire to final length
    7: Crimp the other end of the cable
    8: Stretch the sleeving again, it should now fit precisely with the terminal
    9: Put heatshrink on, and finish the last end.

[​IMG]

Pump and graphic card cables done, as seen from the underside of the mid plate (I will show this in the next update)

[​IMG]

Seen trough the front. The pump sites neatly right in front of the PSU, and connects directly to the reservoir trough the mid plate.

[​IMG]

All cables routed trough the custom made cable combs. I made these from 10 mm lasercut acrylic, and then drilled and tapped a M4 hole in the rear so that they could be screwed into the case.

[​IMG]

Most of the cables completed

[​IMG]

Took a while to train the cables to sit perfectly in this bend. Worked out quite good though!

Hasle likes this.
  5. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Great video, I've shared it over on the old Modzero facebook. What is that 24pin clamp you had on the end of your line? (held the wires in place so you could adjust your individual lengths before cutting uniformly across all wires)... cos I need one!

J.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

"Oh you clever little sh*t," may have been blurted out loud when I saw you using the shrink just to pinch the heated sleeve. I think being hard-wired to be cheap made it so I couldn't think up something like that.

7. LongLove

LongLove What's a Dremel?

Good work)

8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

It is just a simple custom made comb that is super tight:D

Haha, different minds I guess :p

Thanks man!

So, update time, finally!

I have had more requests than I can count about how I make my watercooling distro plates, so I have made a video that shows the process, and included a download link to the file in the video so you guys can try and make your own distro plates :O :O

[VIDEO]

[​IMG]

This is what I end up with after carefully measuring up where all port locations in the case should go. I then transfer this into a 3D program.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final plate after milling and polishing. The o-rings are fixed length, but you could also just cut some o-ring string and glue it together, but using fixed length o-rings are a tad safer.

[​IMG]

I mounted the acrylic plate on a 10 mm lasercut black piece of acrylic.

[​IMG]

The bottom piece also has holes for the GPU cables.

[​IMG]

Really like the fitting color, and the chamfer I made on the top of the distro plate.

[​IMG]

The pump mounts to the bottom of the distro plate, and goes straight up to the reservoir.

[​IMG]

Passtrough cables sleeved and mounted.

[​IMG]

Ready to mount everything inside the case :O

[​IMG]

And mounted, and ready for tubing.

[​IMG]

Tight spot under the plate for the pump.

neSSa likes this.
  9. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Good Lord above, that's beautiful.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You were hiding a 2nd manifold this whole time. Did you get this and Benchy done together? Suuuper lovely work, once again.
    Video: Details on O-rings can be found by googlin' 'o-ring groove depth chart'. -So you kids can work with different material and seal types. (Hint: There are specs for compression seals. You could bypass using fittings and stuff. -Even seat a reservoir tube in the plate.) :D 'Drill tap chart' will get specs you need for specific screws too.
    -Also: Your whole region and their perfect command of extra languages. :lol:

11. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Thank you! Glad that you like it.

Haha yeah, this is actually a quite old build that I have just been too busy to post. People just get confused by the different thicknesses of o-rings, so I just made this guide specificly for Ø2 mm o-rings, which I would use for 90% of these distro plates. I actually have a part in the making where I am mounting the reservoir directly to a manifold plate :D

12. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Nice build. That plate is awesome. :)

13. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Awesome build and photos, too!

14. Maarten/Pine

Maarten/Pine Case modder

Really nice pictures man, love the build as well.