1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think it's fair to say that Ryzen had a bit of a rocky start, although I don't think it was drastically worse than expected given that it's a completely new platform and these things always bring teething trouble. It's all well and good saying that the hardware was good but the software was "the bare minimum", but you can't have good hardware without good BIOS/microcode/OS support, and that definitely let Ryzen down at launch. That's not surprising given that Ryzen was subject to some tweaks at the eleventh hour and board manufacturers were playing catchup as a result.

As TMDD says, though, they seem to have ironed out most of the wrinkles and the platform will only improve further. All in all, Ryzen might not have been a flawless launch but it wasn't an utter shambles either.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

AM4 APU's have surfaced looking at 18th August for retail availability. OK the only one of note is the A12-9800, debating to jump onboard now an move up the CPUs when the second gen appear :s

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Not much point buying an A12 really, same old Excavator cores, no overclocking to mitigate the awful IPC, even the Radeon cores look fairly slow nowadays compared to what a highly clocked 6/7600K can do. I would continue to hold out for proper Zen core APU's.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I doubt they're the same old cores... where's your proof?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Aren't they Bristol Ridge? something like that. They are not Ryzen they are what was going to be Excavator.

6. TheMadDutchDude

On the brand new APUs? Nah. Bristolridge has been out for well over a year.

And, also:

GPU Core Count Increased, New Zen Cores To Boost IPC

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Just Google A12 9800 AM4. They've been available to system builders for weeks now. I thought it was pretty common knowledge the first AM4 APU's were going to be re-packaged Excavator parts??

8. Vault-Tec

9. TheMadDutchDude

Bristolridge is faster than Excavator, though. I remember seeing it a long time ago. It's not like Ryzen, but it's faster.

Hmm. That sucks. I was hoping for better.

10. Vault-Tec

Yeah it's a shame. We could finally see the return of the all in one gaming APU but AMD are taking their sweet time.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Ryzen APUs if they arrive will be March or so next year was the report I saw. Will take time to package Ryzen and a APU together.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They where announced as OEM only parts last year:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/229103/amd-a12-9800-bristol-ridge-am4-apu-with-asus-a320m-c-tested

Now the same chips have been annonced as retail products:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11669/amd-releases-bristol-ridge-to-retail-am4-gets-apus

And here is a review proving they are garbage:
    https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/7207/amd-a12-9800-bristol-ridge-apu-socket-am4-review

13. Vault-Tec

Yeah as expected really. What worries me is that AMD are now releasing them as retail chips for AM4. This will lead many into thinking they are Zen.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That, plus it raises questions about just how far away actual Ryzen APUs are.

15. Vault-Tec

Yeah makes you wonder doesn't it? I thought they were going to come out at the same time Ryzen did. It could be bad.. Maybe they are releasing these poo ones because it's miles and miles off? Either way it's not going to help them much.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Those old APUs are still fine for a lot of people, I still have an A10 5700 doing fine service, the great thing here is there is an upgrade path unlike the old APU stuff and unlike buying an Intel variant there will more than likely be a chip around that will work in the socket in a couple of years, meaning you won't have to buy new mobo/RAM etc.

Many people buying at this price point won't actually give a stuff about what architecture is there, is it cheap, does it work, job done!

Last edited: 4 Aug 2017
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

This is my thinking, I'm not pushing my graphics at all, my display isn't even HD an im seeing FPS of 80-90 in most with an R480, the APU will put me at the start of the upgrade path and allow me to wait an jump chip later

18. Vault-Tec

Good point actually. You could start out with one of these, then go straight to Ryzen and a GPU. That's quite a massive upgrade path really.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As you already have a GPU going for a R3 would probably make better sense as it's not much more to buy than a hot APU but a stronger 4 thread CPU

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oh ho ho ho,

Stock i7-930 benched at 2:03.33

X58 is starting to show its age now.