1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech 2017 refresh feedback: General site and forum feedback

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

yeah it was needed. I hate it when Stickies aren't super clearly obvious with bells on

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Your swear filter is a bit off. I can't say damn (d@mn) or crap (cr@p) but I can say ********.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh no you can't! :D

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]
    It's a work in progress

:grin:

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

At a stage now where I just use the forum without thinking about or noticing the new design, which is good.

The only thing that bugs me on a regular basis is having to mouse over a thread to see the number of pages. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'd like to be able to see at a glance whether is a thread is a huge behemoth or quiet/new and just click directly on the page I want to go to.

Maybe there are, but I can't see any disadvantages in having the small page number links displayed constantly on the thread list.

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've actually been testing this on one of my super duper top secret classified dev styles and I like it. Up to @Zak33 . If he gives the OK I can have it ported to the public styles tomorrow morning some time before lunch most likely.

wolfticket likes this.
  7. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

@Zak33 here.... and I agree utterly.

I didn't think it would be a problem, in fact I thought it would be good... but it's actually quite annoying, so MLyons, the DevDoge is on the jobe

it shows that, using stuff for a while shows the truth.

8. MLyons

DevDoge has made the fix. :happy:

I'm also making them slightly easier to see/read. If anyone has some quick fixes they want now would be a good time to mention it. Anything such as oh this bit of text is a little hard to read try change it to this. would be good

Last edited: 26 Jul 2017
  9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yay milliseconds of my life saved! Much prefer having a few of the page numbers visible. :thumb:

The only thing I may suggest is if perhaps having Page 1 visible in the list of numbers as clicking on the title also takes you to the final page. Am I being too picky?

10. MLyons

picky? no
    something that's a pain to do? yes.
    So you want it to show on the thread list the same sort of way it does while on the thread?

11. adidan

:)

At the moment you can click on the title and it takes you to the last page. The page numbers visible are also the last 3 pages it looks like so yeah perhaps if it was 1...746...747 or something like that then you can get directly to the start of the thread.

Actually that's not quite right. I just clicked one thread with 7 pages and the title took me to page 6. Does the title take you to the last full page? Hadn't noticed that before.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think clicking on the title of a thread will take you to the first unread post - so if that's on page 6, it'll take you to page 6.

13. MLyons

Ok so i just had a mess around and it takes you to the last unread post or the last post if you've read everything. I also discovered you can get to the first page by clicking on the date next to the page numbers but it's not a very intuitive system so I'm going to try and make it easier to understand.

14. wolfticket

The tooltip actually says as much, and while maybe not that intuitive it does kinda make sense in my opinion.

I fear it might look bad/cluttered, but my first thought was to change the formatting (maybe not in regard to size though). of the first post date (and maybe the last post date/time on the left) so they match the formatting of the page number links. So basically they all have boxes around them, with the date and the page numbers separated by (...)s.

Maybe that would make it a bit more intuitive without actually having to change the content?

Thanks for the page number link change by the way. It's a little thing but I do think it is an improvement.

15. MLyons

Yeah it makes sense thinking about it. Just tested that and I'm not a fan. Changing the time and date also isn't an option due to the uproar it caused last time. I've put it on my task list so I'll see if I can work out how to make it look better.

16. wolfticket

17. adidan

I've at least learned half of my forum issues, as with life, are just user error :)

MLyons likes this.
  18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This is pretty basic but is there any way to convert an old pre-facelift forum thread/post URL to a modern one or otherwise locate the thread/post? Links like this:

https://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2425784#post2425784

This was my signature link. By definition, most individual threads are not Wayback archived, and the revamped forum contents hasn't been extensively indexed by Google for searchability yet. Apologies if this information is available somewhere already, I haven't dug very far but I did skim this thread first.

20. MLyons

I'll play around with it after I've finished the api changes I'm making on another project.

Sorry, don't think so.

Think this thread might be gone based on some testing I've done. Do you know where it when it was posted, or even by who?