1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Mobile phone fingerprint scanner

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 10 Aug 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

OK so what is the point/use for these things?
    I have one on my cheapo Chinese smart phone and apart from setting it up have never had an occasion to use it.
    So what is the point of it?

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

So you can unlock your phone without entering a code or pattern. It saves milliseconds at best, so yeah, it isn't really all that much use.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I use a pin to unlock as I was unaware that I could use the scanner, must have a look.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

You can use it to unlock the phone, or log into cetrain apps - saves having to remember passwords.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Nature of my work means my fingers are so often cut, burned or glued together it was always an unused feature for me... I don't even bother putting a lock on my phone nowadays, mostly because my missus would just assume i'm hiding something :lol:

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lol just discovered it unlocks my phone and probably has done since I set it up. :grin::grin:

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I use the fingerprint scanner on my phone quite a bit, it's just convenient and reduces the amount of smudges that I'd get on my screen from either tapping a pin/swiping a pattern.
    It's not much less secure than the pattern option as you can often see the pattern people draw by the smudgy print fingers leave on the screen.

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I like mine, it's as secure as it needs to be, and I probably unlock my phone 30 times a day. Even if it only saves a second a time that's three hours a year not typing in a PIN.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I use mine as the unlock function its just easier as the sensor is on the back of the phone right where you would put your finger.

Does have other uses, so I can authenticate payments, open certain apps even an option to hide apps and assign them to certain fingers which is very weird. Maybe assign the little finger to a spying app or something...

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Just don't get any high definition pictures of your thumb/fingers taken.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Why not, it's my thumb? :grin::grin::grin::grin:

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

As a person who uses tfl services I find it liberating to just walk about with just my phone. I can get about using it to pay for tube/bus/train, get something to eat, and get a beer at the end of the day.

Thanks android pay!

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Not really.
    It's bad security if someone is willing to go to those lengths to access your phone, but then so are a lot of things. A video from the right angle of you entering any sort of password/code on any mobile device will do the job, as will any number of other attacks against reasonably quick and simplistic security methods.
    It's a different ballgame if you consider yourself a target for people willing to use significant resources specifically against you.

However, for most people a finger print scanner replaces a 4 digit pin or similar. Both of these are probably offer a similar amount of security, i.e. not complete but an adequate compromise vs ease/speed of use given the requirements.

By the by, I far as I know the purely photographic method mentioned might work with some old devices but would fail with modern scanners/techniques.

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'll quite often go out without any cash now, which is a big change from how I've operated for the last decade. It's great to spend a night at the pub and not have to come home with £10 in loose change in my back pocket.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And what pray is tfl services?

I see little point in using an expensive or in my case cheap phone to pay when a debit card will do just as well.

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Transport for London, the tube, innit?

I find my phone easier as it's always sat in my pocket, at the ready.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks.

20. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

My new phone has one - but personally haven't set it up as I did'nt know it had one till this morning lol.