1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and 1920X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Aug 2017.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It seems that you can get a 24c/48t EPYC chip (single socket, not dual compatible) for $1000. Neat! :D

And Intel think they have won the core race with a stupid announcement saying they've got 18 core processors coming ... something they never even had ready up until TR was announced. :D

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Any idea whether Epyc will work in X399?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Technically yes but you gimp yourself to 128gb memory. Which is nothing in the area where Epyc will be good at.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The fact that the dies used to make up these chips are supposed to be the top 5%, and still can't reliably hit 4Ghz, further points to AMD doing what they did with Polaris - releasing an architecture that is already clocked close to It's limits.

It's not exactly a deal-breaker, as the IPC improvements over Bulldozer are more than enough to keep them within arm's reach of Intel, but I do hope that it isn't a hard limit of the design and can be fixed with Zen 2... A small IPC bump, coupled with a shrink to 7nm/10nm and a reliable max clock close to 5GHz on a mainstream 10c/20t chip in 2020 will pretty much be throwing my money at the etailers!

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Where did you read that they're supposed to be the top 5%?

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. 7700K still the winner for that, unless you're obsessed with PUBG, which just got a 6 core update, but then you'd hold out for a 4.+GHz 8800K I guess.

BUT both AMD and Intel state TR and i9 are a CONSUMER CPUs, not workstation. OK so consumer/prosumer, but what both AMD and Intel are saying is that they're not going to bother to certify drivers for these systems. It's a "you take what you get" approach because they aren't made by the server divisions. So you can interpret it as workstation/prosumer but the companies themselves don't sell it that way...

TR is impressive but I'm looking at results over various sites and my 5960X is still cutting it in games vs 1920X and even 1950X. There's no point in upgrading a Haswell-era CPU still and 8 cores is plenty. The best thing about i9s and TR is the PCIE count. If you're running a mainstream system and M.2 drive you're fked by the shty PCH bandwidth and latency. Since Coffee Lake is still limited to 16x PCIE lanes, and X299 will only house SKYX, I'm not sure what my next upgrade will be :(

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No. Either Toms or Anandtech said the socket is the same physically but apparently it won't work. X399 will be around for the next ~2 chips (Zen+ and Zen2) though, so a good board is expensive but potentially an investment if you're saying on the platform until 7nm Zen2 in 2019.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Blame Intel, they started this HEDT thing. :D ;)

10. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

This is exactly where I am. I also have a 5960X (@4.5ghz) and it's doing a damn fine job. I do have the itch to update and was hoping TR would be it; sadly as good as it is, it's not enough to make me want to rebuild.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because of the cost divergence. Look what happens when they put mainstream CPUs on the HEDT platform: total confusion over the 7640K and 7740K that doesn't belong in X299. They've got to keep a cheap/mainstream platform to make it mass affordable, but there's also the high-end need for more lanes, more memory, more cores, more power which increasingly adds cost. X58 was the first HEDT where PCIE lanes moved from northbridge into CPU.

I wished they dropped the price of Broadwell-E but Intel don't do that. ****. A 6900X would be lovely 22-->14nm.

12. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Did you take account of the offset temperature when overclocking because some of those temperatures seem a lot higher than other reviews?

13. Vault-Tec

Thanks Rich. That's a shame, because AMD server boards are usually a bit crap and cost the same as my flat.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

But zir, eet is only wafer thin!

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would avoid a first gen of any new platform, certainly never an early first gen.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

Yeah I tend to. Watched my mate spend two and a half thousand dollars on a rig once (E8500, EVGA 790i with OCZ DDR3) and it was never stable. Poor sod, he even bought a D2X for $400. None of it worked. The ram caused BSODs 24/7 the sound card caused crashing and BSODs and in the end he threw it in the cupboard. It was only years later that he gave it to me for nothing (paid shipping like) and I flashed the bios and sorted it out. But yeah, that kinda put him off for life he never "early adopts" now.

17. Vault-Tec

Threadripper... Broadwell E... Ryzen 7.. BISCUIT..

Threadri.... BISCUIT. I'LL TAKE THE CHOCCY BISCUIT PLEASE.

18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

That's kinda the point of HEDT, I guess. The 5960X was released in 2014, and as you rightly say, still has a good couple of years life left in it yet. The whole draw of HEDT platforms is the longer upgrade cycle - it's a lot of cash to put down at the time, but you can go through 2-3 mainstream generations while still being at the top of the performance pile (albeit while looking comparatively inefficient).

Realistically, that's what I'd be shopping for when I next look at building a PC - something I know I can put together then forget about upgrading for half a decade or more.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I guess it really does come down to what you're using your PC for, but in general I reckon that if you're a gamer then CPU technology is advancing at such a slow pace that you can easily get four or five years out of a CPU (providing that you buy a reasonably high-end one in the first place, so a 6600K rather than a 6100, for example :D ). GPU tech is where it's at for leaps forward in both performance and demand for horsepower. But sure, HEDT by definition should have good longevity because you're leveraging greater capability from the start of the product's life.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Completely agree Bawjaws, 2600k onwards is enough cpu performance in truth, Overclocked even more so.

Tags: Add Tags