1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ [3D Printed] The Iron suit project - Updated 31-10-2018.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cown, 12 Nov 2016.

1. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 28-06-2017 pt. 2

ARC finished with RGB lighting, now mounted to the chest. The RGB lighting will be remote controlled, and able to run in idle mode (PC shut off), but more on that further down :)

[​IMG]

Putting everything back together again, some parts of the ribs have been added, as well as the one half of the back. I hope you like the tinted glass on the ARC, again I wanted it to be a neutral part of the suit, and not making it an awkward focusing point when all the lighting is off. Harold approves! ;)

[​IMG]

Main ARC light turned on, this will be the lighting that will run with the repulsors:

[​IMG]

A close up:

[​IMG]

Secondary ARC light turned on:

[​IMG]

Playing around with different colors :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main lighting turned off, this is what it will look like in idle mode, meaning the PSU would be shut off:

[​IMG]

Some close-ups as well as playing around a bit with the RGB:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you like it guys ;) and please let me know what you think :D

As always, thanks for looking :cool:

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Lookin' great. Harold, on the other hand has had a few bad days. I don't think subtlety is one of Marvel's strong points.

3. Cown

Cown Minimodder

4. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 06-08-20017

Hi guys

So I've finally gotten some more time to work on the project.

This time I've almost completed the back of the suit as well as managed to connect the back and chest together.

Here you can see the back completed:

[​IMG]

Sliding rails added to the abs:

[​IMG]

Insert mobo here :grin:

[​IMG]

I'm now patiently waiting for Harolds legs to arrive so I can work on the suit a bit easier. Hopefully I will have them next week, then I will cut out Harolds belly, mount alu-railing inside him and prepare for motherboard mounting. I also need to do the last finishing work on the shoulders and arms, and hopefully have them attached very soon :) stay tuned for more.

Thanks for looking :thumb:

5. Cheapskate

"Insert mobo here :grin:"
    Oh, right... I thought this was a suit for you. I totally forgot about the PC forum thing.

6. LongLove

LongLove What's a Dremel?

Very cool!))))

7. warboy

warboy Insane modder

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

wow cool, my 6 yearold son just saw this and his jaw dropped. now he wants to try and build some thing, which is in my book a very good thing. thanks and looking forward to more updates

9. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Sometimes I do too :eeek:

Thanks guys, glad you like it :happy:

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad that he likes it and will put you to work now :grin: hopefully it can be of some use and inspiration. I wish my girls (2 and 6) were just as excited lol.

I hope to put up more updates this week, so stay tuned :dremel:

10. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Testing out a new idea for the helmet :grin:

11. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 03-09-2017.

Hi guys, time for a bigger update this time :)

After couple of sidetracks, like the fellow below :grin: repairing the printer, and testing out some new filaments, I'm now finally ready to continue printing the rest of the suit and working on more details for completed parts.

[​IMG]

Groot says, well "I am Groot!"

As you could see from the last video I've posted, I was trying out different ideas for what to put inside the head, and the one in the video from earlier stuck. I had a couple of ideas with an Arduino mega, along with a 3.5" TFT screen I recently ordered. First I thought of havin't it work as a hardware monitor, displaying temps, cpu/grp speeds, rpms, etc., but then thought that would be too boring. I then got the idea of using Tony's face inside the helmet using a GIF image, but this couldn't be done with the Arduino. Then I thought of using a Raspberry Pi 3 instead, but came to the conclusion that the 3.5" screen would simply be too small for the face. I then remembered having an old 7" tablet lying around, nobody uses anymore and concluded that it should be able to do the trick. The following is what it ended up being :)

First thing's first. Harold seriously needed plastic surgery, and what better tool for the job, than my trusty Dremel :dremel:

[​IMG]

He doesn't look too pleased :worried:

[​IMG]

After finding the right video, and altering the size etc. it was time to see how it would fit the best.

[​IMG]

In the progress, I decided to change the color of the LED's as well. A bit difficult to see in daylight.

[​IMG]

After cutting out a frame made of acrylic glass, I added some black foil to it and attached the tablet behind the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing it out in the dark:

[​IMG]

Now it's time to fit the Arduino, controlling the servo, inside as well:

[​IMG]

I printed a support frame for the Arduino:

[​IMG]

At first i fitted it to the battery pack for the LED's, but had to move it again, since it would no longer fit Harold's head :duh:

[​IMG]

That's better:

[​IMG]

All the bells and whistles tucked nicely inside Harold's new face:

[​IMG]

I've added some old stuff I had lying around to give it a more "techy/robotic" look:

[​IMG]

"IT'S ALIVE! :clap:

[​IMG]

In the dark:

[​IMG]

Assembling:

[​IMG]

And some final test pictures :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a video, just to show you how it works :D

Now as my printer is hard at work printing the rest of the body, below, part of the left thigh, my next step will be completing the arms and cutting out Harold's guts, to make room for rails that will support the motherboard, as well as the PSU.

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like what you've seen so far :)

Stay tuned for more, and as always, thanks for looking guys :dremel:

12. Cheapskate

You should have just done the eyes so he's looking out through the visor. ;)
    A layer of silver paint on the inside can help block that light bleeding through.

13. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Haha yeah, the thought did actually cross my mind, but the tablet is too big and the screen too narrow for it to align correctly with the faceplate, but that would've been funny :D

Silver paint the acrylic eyes you mean?

14. Cheapskate

I meant coating the faceplate inside would keep it from glowing when closed.

Yaka and Cown like this.
  15. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Good idea, I will give it a try :happy:

16. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 23-10-2017.

Hey guys.

Time for an update.

I must apologize for the delay in updates, but I've had some serious issues with my printer, as will be shown below.

As you can see, my print quality has started to go down hill, here the crotch for the midsection:

[​IMG]

Here is another part from the midsection, here you can see the supports being affected by an excessive amount of stringing: (The hair like mess in the back)

[​IMG]

Here's the midsection completed. You may notice some layer separations:

[​IMG]

New back of the neck, scaled in a more correct size:

[​IMG]

Taking a closer look, you can clearly see the layers have separated during printing:

[​IMG]

Hip joints, not so demanding for the printer, until bridging is needed, you can see here as well it failed miserably:

[​IMG]

And here:

[​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

Now at this point I was starting to get a bit frustrated. I'd at this point disassembled the extruder maybe 10 times, looking for clogs, misalignment of the extruder, changing the extruder gear, changing the thermistor inside the hotend, changed the filament, thinking moisture might be the cause... I'd changed and tested A LOT of different retraction and temperature settings in the slicer, but nothing made a difference.

Running more tests and trying to figure out what was wrong but testing with a 3DBenchy, again epic fail. At this point I noticed excessive oozing from the nozzle and was certain that this had something to do with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried a string test:

[​IMG]

I now started to suspect the firmware in the printer itself, maybe something had gone horribly wrong, since I knew I was using unoriginal beta versions of a different firmware. I formatted the LCD, and uploaded new firmware to both the printer boards and LCD.

After the firmware update I did a new string test, which was somewhat improved:

[​IMG]

Then did some more Benchies, ALL FAILED!

[​IMG]

Now going back to try and figure out why the hotend was oozing like crazy I had a bad feeling that the stepper motor was broken. I disassembled the motor and lubricated the bearings and cleaned out everything not supposed to be there.

This gave me a result I hadn't had for days, but unfortunately still some layer separation at the top:

[​IMG]

At this point the printer was starting to make strange clicking noises as well, giving me reason to believe that something was now wrong with the gear and that it wasn't gripping the filament as it should thereby causing the clicking noises. I noticed very small fractures of filament between the gear bladed. It took 3 days of non-stop tinkering with the slicer,firmware and extruder, just to realize that the lever pulley was worn down causing the filament to bend inside the extruder, making the gear slip it's grip and grind the filament instead of biting in to it like it was supposed to!

I did the only rational thing possible! I printed a new lever:

[​IMG]

Which resulted in no more layer separation or strange clicking sounds:

[​IMG]

I am now up and running again and will post more pictures of the suit as I get more parts done.

Now while it's working again, I am throwing my energy at adding a remote controlled feature to the helmet, so I no longer have to use a button switch to open and close the faceplate:

[​IMG]

I hope you approve and thanks for looking :thumb:

17. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 23-12-2017.

Hey guys

It's finally time for another update.

After fixing the printer and continuing onward with the suit, I managed to almost finish the thighs:
    [​IMG]

Then I had a major clog again, this time so bad, that when trying to clean the hotend, the metal guide tube broke clean off :-/

[​IMG]

I ordered a new replacement and wanted to get back on track, but my luck of running problem was out :-/

[​IMG]

Major problems with partial clogs/under-extrusions. After multiple hours of frustrations and testing it seemed that this new type of black PLA filament I've been using, required an extreme raise in temperature in order to work properly. Normally I would print PLA in the range of 195 - 215° without any issues, but this, I have to print at the same temperature I would print ABS, at a whopping 240°.I talked to the retailer I bought the filament from and they confirmed that they've experienced necessity to raise the temperature up to 50° more than normal PLA. This would have been a very helpful, money- and time-saving information to have had. Oh well, one learns from trial and error.

Here I'm printing at 230° and already the problems have minimized a hole lot:

[​IMG]

Here I've done it at 240° and I'm almost free of issues:

[​IMG]

In comparison:

[​IMG]

Now my Wanhao is finally up and running again, currently printing one of the feet for the suit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the meanwhile, trough all this frustration of having a printer not working as intended and not being able to continue my work on the project, a package arrived at my doorstep, and just in time for Christmas as well :D

[​IMG]

I wen't and ordered my self a new printer :eek: This time, I've chosen a Tevo Tornado, mainly because of the build size the printer is capable of. This will reduce my time having to cut and slice the STL files to fit my printer and hopefully speed up the overall process :)

Here's everything out of the box and ready to be assembled, you can read all about it on my FB page in my sig, if you are interested :)

[​IMG]

A test print, done at the factory where the printer was produced:

[​IMG]

A #3DBenchy, which I must say came out very very well :D

[​IMG]

I am now up and running again and hope to have more regular updates, with not as many problems as in the last couple of months :)

Stay tuned for more and as always, thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone! :dremel:

Last edited: 23 Dec 2017
  18. Cheapskate

If anything, that post made me decide I don't want a 3d printer anymore. :lol:

19. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Haha! But this is the part that makes owning one even more fun :D At least when you get it to work again lol.

20. stepea

stepea What's a Dremel?

Very impressive.

Have you got any links to the spring balancers & fan duct STL files. What are the benefits of the spring balancers.