1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vega fail :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jul 2017.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

To be fair he did say he was told that from some guy working for an AIB partner.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Anything involved with vega, or people talking about vega, seems to be 'he said, she said, some guy who knows some guy who works for so and so said'.

Doing my nut in.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As someone that works for bit-tech I'll let you in on a secret. They get hot running 100% for 6 hours and can burn apprentices hands. :miffed:

The only thing that will give them better hash rate is releasing the specs and API of their "Mining pipeline".

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

I'll quote you on that, don't worry I won't name you.

"Sooo, there's this guy who works for an online tech site that held onto a vega for 6 hours and his hands burned right off..." QFT

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I knew it had been running for a while but i wasn't expecting the plastic to be hot. Ended up using my t-shirt as mittens to get it out of the PC. Be sure to send me my fee on PayPal.

6. adidan

Plastic and heat are never comfortable companions.

Did you have to fill an accident report? What am I saying? Did someone else fill in an accident report after you melted you pinkies? :)

7. MLyons

Source of accident: the new RX-SpaceHeater, available for purchase now
    part(s) of body injured: tips of all my right fingers
    How could this be avoided: AMD could [Censored due to not wanting to annoy too many people]

As a developer it made improving "ONE OF THE BEST FORUMS IN THE WORLD" a little harder for a little bit.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

:hehe:

I'll add obligatory.......

You were typing using your nose weren't you? :grin:

9. MLyons

[​IMG]

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...and now you know how Apple developed iTunes

11. MLyons

This pains me because I have an iphone and I hate their software with a passion. It's so buggy at times. I've had it say sorry you need 4.2gb for this upgrade and you only have 6.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And unfortunately still the only free software in the world capable of achieving any significant reliability at auto tagging rips of obscure cds, so if you are as lazy as me there isn't much in the way of an alternative and Apple is more than happy to exploit that.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I have to confess on still using an ancient iTunes version (10) because it has the 'sync/play only check songs' feature that no other player seems to have implemented (so I can organise the entire library properly by album & playlist without duplications, but not have all tracks 'active' at one time), but prior to Apple deciding to break the UI. No ipod or iphone, syncs to Android via iSyncr.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Another day another madness with Vega pricing...

https://www.techpowerup.com/236422/retailers-are-buying-amd-rx-vega-64-at-usd-675-each

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

16. MLyons

9.5MB page with a load of 14 seconds. Wonderful. Miner are to blame for high prices. This doesn't mean they should be getting the hate they're receiving but they are to blame.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry i didn't notice that, probably because half of it got blocked. :oops:

18. adidan

Can't blame miners wanting to make money, can't blame them at all.

That said, we can blame them if sea levels rise because of all their power munching.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't think its right to blame miners (or anything else on the demand side of things).

I'd put the blame squarely on the plain and simple fact that high end chip manufacturing at companies like GloFo and TSMC is running at the absolute red line of what is currently possible which leaves next to zero margin to adjust the supply in a reasonable amount of time.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No you can't blame them for wanting to make money, however they are to blame for the price increases, not that it bothers me as I'm not in the market for a new graphics card.

If anything I'd say the high demand for AMD cards is a good thing as it's undoubtedly helping AMD's finances at a time when they probably need all the help they can get, although i also understand why normal consumers are hating on the miners as if i was in the market for a new graphics card I'd be pretty miffed.

@Anfield, Not only that but if they do ramp up the supply side of things and cryptocurrency collapses they'd be left with thousands of cards collecting dust in stock rooms.