1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I need your advice Bit-tech...

Discussion in 'General' started by Canon, 22 Aug 2017.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

So, living here on the little green mass that is Northern Ireland and being a motorsport fan practically from birth, I've done a fair amount of thinking about each and every aspect. Most noteworthy for me has been Formula 1. However, in the past two years I discovered a real joy in motorcycles, I know we have a fair few bike owners here on bit-tech, so you guys know just what I mean, as for the rest of you, i'm sure you have something in your life that brings equal joy.

I've been riding around on my little 2 stroke nightmare for a while, this meant constantly dealing with breakdowns, melted pistons, engine breakdowns, expensive oil, dirty carbs etc. So naturally I've got quite comfortable with the workings, in fact I found it so enjoyable working on the bike I decided to cut down my working hours, drastically reducing my pay so I can spend 30 hours a week for the next year learning the trade, as much for my personal pleasure as a possible career change.

Rewind...having attended all the Road Racing events that took place on home soil this year, which is quite a few, Cookstown 100, Northwest 200, Armoy, Ulster Grand Prix, but to name a few. I got talking to the fans, the staff, even the riders. I made the rather drastic decision at the Northwest 200 that this is what I want to do, either in 2018 or 2019. It's a dangerous sport with at least 5 riders perishing this year alone, so obviously I've spent a good few hours coaxing the missus around :hehe:

So, here's my issue. It may be one of the cheapest motorsports to attend at an entry level, but it still has it's costs. The bike, slightly more suitable gear, spares, tyres, modifications. Due to significantly cutting down my working hours, it has almost left it impossible.

In comes idea number two, during all of these races I notice a lot of small business sponsors, plastered all over the riders and their machines, as it is with most sports, these seem to be mostly local, especially in the lower classes. I don't live out in the sticks, I don't know 'Davy from round the corner with the drycleaners that also loves racing'. So my first thought was a crowdfunding model, to give small entities the opportunity to put any message, logo, name on a bike,t-shirts, the whole lot collectively actually funding the whole thing. I do actually have a suitable bike as it stands but it still needs a lot of work.

I've already given this a go to ZERO success.

So that's why I'm here, I know more than a few of you here are very media savvy, and of course very apt in your own areas, I know the scape of the community very well and that's why I wanted to post this, I would trust advice I get. What would you do?

Needless to say, should things go to plan, kind words and advice are repaid in kind.

Thanks bit-tech.

EDIT: I should have previously mentioned that I am not fundraising to buy myself nice things and enjoy myself, over the course of working this out I am speaking to various charities, I'm drawn to childrens hospices, homeless and elderly care in particular. I will be regularly donating what I can and when it came time to move on, anything aquired, including the bike itself would be sold and 100% of sale value given to the elected charity.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2017
  2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I may be a downer here, but I think that cutting your hours wasn't the smartest thing. Job makes money -> you need money to race.

Get your hours back, then get extra hours, then loose sleep building the bike in your limited spare time, then go risk life and limb, then repair bike in frenzy to get to the next race while eating nothing for ramen for the season.

Survive a few seasons, do well, then get sponsorship. You're putting the cart in front of the horse.

stonedsurd likes this.
  3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I would not be surprised if most of the businesses you see sponsoring the bikes are actually owned by the riders and/or teams - they are probably one and the same. I have a few family members racing cars at a very high level with plenty of television exposure and so on, and all of the sponsorship is figured through their own business - the majority is their own company and the rest are their clients. It would be an incredibly ineffective method of advertising at the scale you are talking about. Reality is - they are probably doing it for a small tax write off on advertising costs or something.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Wrong thread.

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

Absolutely valid point. Perhaps it should be noted however that I am currently working MON to WED from 5pm, learning to look after the machine 7am to 4.30pm and working 12 to 12 THUR to SUN, in my spare time I'm already working on parts for an ultra lightweight machine, should I be unable to fund a bike that is easier to maintain and more attractive to prospect contributors then I WILL be racing in the ultra lightweight class off my own back, to me this is less attractive as it's nothing new, it's only for my benefit, not the end of the world however. Again though, you're absolutely correct, living off Ramen is the only way :lol: After my minimal rent costs I'm throwing as much as I can get away with into parts, and boy does it hurt.

MCUI have been more than helpful. I'm in fairly regular contact with AMRRC secretaries, due to this being a first they're understandably cautious about offering any support other than information, however the information given to date has proved invaluable. These guys have put me in contact with some journalists that have offered to not only produce content in their respective publications but some have even offered financial support once I have gained some traction.

It's a fairly small group of riders and there's next to no money in this sport, in fact, truth be told there is none. For most if not all of the teams that are not factory teams anyway. For a well established and backed team to break even at the Isle of Man TT for example they would have to win every race they enter, which isn't worth betting a cent on.

Locally however, these guys are backed mostly by local entities, it's not even a case of who owns what and what the benefit is, because more often than not it's the chip shop across the road, or the local painter and decorator, if you're lucky it's a leathers brand etc. Something to think about though.

So thank you all, I appreciate those responses immensely.