1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Time for a monitor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plugs, 27 Aug 2017.

1. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Hi.
    Looking for some monitor wisdom, because I'm not too clued in.

I have on my desk a 23 inch LG monitor (probably tn) and a 22 inch Samsung tv, both 1080p.
    Both are quite old so thinking of upgrading.

Usage is a variety of general internet browsing, programming, pc and ps4 gaming.

Probably to 2 similar 27 inch ips. Vesa mountable would be nice.
    Given the gaming will be at 1080p I'm slightly worried about having a 1440p monitor and dealing with inexact upscaling. So am I looking at 4k? Or should I not be worried?
    don't really care about massively fast response times.

~£200 each would be preferred budget, but that might be unrealistic so I might be able to stretch that a bit

2. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Just been through all this myself.
    sub £200 will get you a brand name 27" IPS (Acer, BenQ etc.), but some have limitations (one of them being lack of VESA in some cases).
    I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Dell U2715H (well over your cost but worth every penny).

1440 will cost you more, unless you decided to only buy 1 monitor?

There are some reasonable deals for 27" TN panels, which for what would be doing would be OK.
    AOC G2778VQ 27" Full HD Monitor - £166 ebuyer

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You would need to game at the native res or you will get blurry images. You'll end up trying to display 2 pixels over 3 pixels when a 1080P output is being displayed over 1440P. You can't split pixels in half, so it will look terrible. That's the predominant reason I went for a 1080P display, as it is used for my Xbox as well. Had it been otherwise, 1440P would most definitely have been on the cards, but at the $200 ish bracket... nothing struck me as well as the Dell U2417H did.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't think I'd go for 27" and 1080p. If you're sticking at 1080p then I'd say 24" is probably as big a panel as I'd want.

Omnislip likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've ran 1080p on a 27" and yeah it's pretty bad. You need to use lots of alias to offset the jaggies. Or you can VSR/DSR to 1440p ;)

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

How about a single ultra wide display?
    Getting a single display would give a lot more budget.

8. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Thanks for the wisdom. Really helpful. With that I've been doing more investigating and learning what is out there.

That was my fear, so I guess it is 1080p or 4k, and at my budget it is looking like 1080p.

Yeah I'm not too sure if it will stretch too much but then I guess this is all down to how close one sits to the screen.
    At normal working distance the ideal may be 24" at 1080p, 27" at 1440p at 32"+ at 4k. I sometimes sit back and find my 23 inch too small. So ignoring 1440p, I'm hoping if the monitor is further back on the desk it will be ok at normal distance and sat back. Maybe I'll just buy one at first and see how it is looking.

It's not something I had considered yet. I'm assuming they work with multiple inputs at once. Though I imagine 2 separate monitors might be easier to play around with the configuration. I'll have a look. Do you have any specific suggestions in this area that might meet my criteria?

Looks like a good option. What about this: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...5ms-250cdm-2-hdmi-dvi-vga-frameless-design-ti
    Are there any major differences that might lead you to pick one over the other? It is an IPS rather than MVA. Not that I really know the differences of the types of panels.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nothing wrong with that Asus one.
    The main difference is that IPS has slightly better colours and MVA / AMVA slightly better contrast, but its pretty minimal so doesn't really matter.

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't have any specific one to recommend. An ultra wide works as a single large display. I'm not sure if they ever had issues or if it was only the early 4k displays.
    The big benefit is as single large display with no bezel.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

What graphics card do you have, some of them allow you to run at a high resolution on your 1080p display for IQ, you can see the impact on frame rate of 1440p or other such resolutions before biting the bullet. I'd never buy a larger 1080p screen, pixels will be getting large.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The backlight lottery is pretty bad with ultrawides, so when going ultrawide make sure to buy from a place that has a reputation for honouring its return policy.

The big problem with going ultrawide or higher resolution than 1080p is that the op intends to use it with a console as well and consoles obviously don't support anything other than 16:9 and 1080p, so he'd end up with big black bars on both sides with an ultrawide or having to deal with the monitors upscaling when going with a higher resolution.

13. silk186

silk186 Derp

I didn't think about the console part. In that case 1080p or 4k for the new 'pro' models.
    Alternatively an ultrawide + projector.

14. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

I regularly sit at the desk with both console and PC on. When you said ultrawide I think I was thinking of Samsungs new SuperUltrawide (32:9) which might display both inputs at once, but is definitely out of budget. If I did go ultrawide (21:9) for the PC, I'd still probably want a second screen for the console (and a larger desk to put it all on).

I have an AMD HD 7870 (I think). So probably not getting more than 1080p gaming out of it.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder