1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Did some long haul so bit of a dump to catch up:

Logan - 8.5/10 - Best X-men film to date.
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 8.5/10 - Rides the wave of the first one and maintains quality
    John Wick 2 - 8/10 - Does what it says on the tin
    Ghost in the Shell (2016) - 6.5/10 - I was entertained
    Why Him? - 0/10 - Rubbish
    Get Out - 9/10 - Brilliant, not into horror genre in general but this was superb
    Kong: Skull Island - 5/10 - I just didn't care about anyone in it

Ghost in the Shell (1995) - 9/10 - Fantastic
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople - 8.5/10 - Brilliant, hopefully it stands up to a re-watch
    Jungle Book - 7.5/10 - Quite good although didnt feel Elba or Johansson fitted the characters very well and would have preferred if they had omitted the musical numbers

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Mummy - painful/10
    It looked good... the sticking together of plot points is a mess, and honestly, this is mainly noise.

Wonderwoman 7.5/10
    This was a solid breath of fresh air for the superhero genre.
    I am deducting points for that "big fight" that I felt was completely unnecessary.
    It's ultimately a good feel, with a large focus on the more emotional/philosophical side of things... and it works.

3. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

IT - book/10
    I read the book many moons ago so I'd struggle to give this a fair score. The film was fairly entertaining and an improvement on the mini-series/film but until we get chapter 2 we wont have a full comparison.

Anyone seen this that hasnt read the book? I'd be interested to hear what others thought.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Underworld Blood Wars
    Crap / 10

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Baby Driver - 7.5/10
    I went into this having no clue what to expect at all. It's a strange film in some regards, but not a bad one.

6. BigAde2072

BigAde2072 What's a Dremel?

Logan - 9/10 - Not a typical X-Men movie, very dark and bleak in places but a great film.
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 8/10 - Silly fun just like the first film.
    John Wick 2 - 6/10 - Not as good as the first film, the car smash scene was just pointless.
    Kong: Skull Island - 5/10 - A movie that tries far too hard to be an allegory for the Vietnam war but should have stuck to being a monster fight.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Elton F***ing John/10

Much violent
    Very swear
    Wow!

Pedro Pascal (Agent Whiskey) is a shoe-in for any upcoming Burt Reynolds biopic

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

'Best s**t I've had in three weeks' had me giggling like a little girl.

Great film, and Elton's appearance is comedy gold.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes - I'd give IT a hearty 8/10

I went to see it with two mates, one of whom has read the book and was very familiar with the narrative. We all enjoyed it and I think it's fair to say that it exceeded our expectations (mine especially). It felt distinctly b-movie-ish at the start, but things picked up quickly and the character development and pacing were absolutely spot on. There is great chemistry between the actors, which IMO really kept the momentum going. I would highly recommend this film to peole who, like myself, haven't seen the first or read the novel. I'm really excited about the next instalment.

The Mummy: 7/10

I really have no idea why this movie gets raped so hard by critics (16% on RT... ouch). I expected a veritable ****-storm and instead I got what I'd consider a very entertaining and enjoyable horror/action/thriller/adventure with some really tasty VFX to boot. Have people forgotten what suspended disbelief is, or do people just hate Tom Cruise that much?

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 8.5/10

This film is fun as hell. It's over the top, it pokes fun at other spy movies like James Bond and it's just so massively entertaining. I loved the first, and it was more self-contained in a way. The Golden Circle has all of the great cast, plus several extras (including a superb appearance by Elton John, honestly never laughed so hard than I have at those scenes) and it takes it up a notch. It does suffer from trying to be bigger than the first, which is where it falls slightly. There's a lot of sub-plots and it's a bit of a hodge podge of many things, sometimes. I think it's still a fantastic time though. I would say it's a very good sequel, but I'm worried if they make a third.

Netflix Mini-Series, American Vandal - 8/10

A hilarious, superbly made and genius mockumentary about a school in which all of the teachers cars are vandalised with...spray painted penises and the Class Clown is the one it's pinned on. It acts so serious about finding the true culprit in the spirit of other genuine documentaries like The Jinx and Making a Murderer, but it's actually incredibly engrossing, despite being a four hour dick joke. There's a lot of twists and there's a lot of inception moments about the state of the documentary itself. It's so good and if you like documentaries or these kind of Mockumentaries, it's really worth a watch; it has a superb, understated genius about it.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Logan - 8/10 Better than I expected - quite a departure from the rest of the series and certainly worth watching.

GotG2 - 8/10 Still entertaining with lots of fun moments.

12. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Neither, they just dislike the hamfisted way Universal wants to establish their "Dark Universe". The pacing and exposition issues don't exactly help. Mummy 2017 is the perfect example of a soulless corporate movie produced to tick as many boxes as possible. Now compare that to the old, fun Fraser Mummy movie that is universally loved. The negative response to the new movie is justified.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Given there's a sequel out i thought i'd give this another go...

Blade Runner: I dreamt of electric sheep.../10

One of these days I will make it through Blade runner without falling asleep. Today [well yesterday] was not it.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Bladerunner is on my watch list, picked up the blu-ray a few months back but never seem to get around to watching it.
    Thinking about it, I've built up quite a backlog of films to watch. I'll have to start watching them while I'm playing Destiny....

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's a rather damning indictment of Desinty.

16. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The Good Place on Netflix 7/10

Pretty much usual Netflix fare but I like the plot devices and I’m looking forward to bingeing.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Hot Rot 5/10

4 points because of Isla Fisher
    1 point because of a few funny moments

18. David

Hot Rod, surely? :winking:

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Spideman Homecoming OMG it's 3 hours long / 10.

I feel like I've been watching a whole movie already and it's only been an hour. It's a multiple sitting job. How people watched this in the cinema I don't know.

20. David

2 hours 13 minutes according to IMDB