1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Sell Ivy Bridge/RX480 system and buy new?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 14 Sep 2017.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I wasn't planning on buying any new upgrades this year (I've already spent a fair bit putting a couple storage servers together) but I see the prices that AMD GPU's are going for, as well as Ivy Bridge kit (Z77 Asus Gene, 3770K) and I'm now questioning that decision. Looks like I wouldn't have to spend much to get an upgrade to something a bit more modern if I sold my current kit on.

Do you think I should ship it all on whilst the prices are still good? I've got plenty of other kit to keep me going until I build a new rig from the proceeds.

Thoughts?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ivy is still very capable, but I'd be tempted by Ryzen in your position.

Cash in on that RX480 - you can probably grab a used 980Ti / 1070 with the proceeds. Novatech were selling some new MSI 980Ti Gaming cards for £276 just last week - they sold out damned fast mind.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

You won't really get much of an upgrade going from one Intel setup to another - depending on what speed your 3770K is running at - the upgrade will be more on the connectivity/IO side. I would definitely consider selling the 480 while the prices are high and get a 2nd hand 1070/980Ti though, that would be the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to get a noticeable performance boost.

Wait for Coffee Lake before considering a full platform upgrade, your setup will technically be another generation out of date, but so will everything else, so you won't really lose out... And considering AMD have already dropped the price of the 1800/1700 since launch, I suspect they will be forced to drop again when Intel retaliates.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Personally I think that an Ivy i7 is plenty good enough, but I'd flog that 480 and buy a better GPU - as David and Wakka say, perhaps a second hand 980Ti or equivalent The total cost of upgrading from Ivy to Ryzen or current Intel is going to be high, because it's a full CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade (and RAM prices are particularly bonkers). Not really worth it for the cash involved, imho.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Still happy with my 3770.

Like Dave says though cash in on your 480, I added a bit more to my 580 sale to get my 1080 although the latter's price has gone up a fair bit since and my 580 went at what seemed like peak. The Ivy is still fine (even in a modded Fallout 4 it's not bottlenecking).

That said I am tempted by Ryzen but will see what happens when Covfefe is released.

MadGinga likes this.
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Ivy is still strong particularly if you have a dellided water cooled overclocked one, I've just ditched my z77 and 4.7Ghz i3570k which has been holding me over until I could decided what to go with next, my replacement Threadripper can't match the single core performance of that chip, granted I've not done much tuning etc as I am still trying to get it to run right but still considering it's so old is not bad. If I had my old 3770k at similar clocks which I killed with a cuppa I wouldn't of even upgraded.

I too have a 480, didn't realize they were worth dough.

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm not really thinking about upgrading from Ivy for CPU performance, it's more about the fact is fairly well used and out of warranty kit that for some reason still holds a decent value. New kit will have warranty, a bit more performance and support for NVMe drives. That's pretty much it.

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

At this point I'd wait for 8 series which will be six cores twelve thread. To be honest though put the money in your ISA and buy it when/if your Ivybridge dies.

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would also like to upgrade from Sandybridge, partially for NVMe but I've found that few users can tell the difference between SATA and NVMe based SSD under regular usage.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

M.2 is great for reducing the number of cables that you need, but I personally don't notice any performance difference between my NVMe drive and my SATA ones.

David likes this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I popped an NVMe on my old z77 with an adaptor, that is good enough, in general use and booting NVMe is not noticably better than a normal SSD but once you start throwing around gigabytes of uncompressed video, the NVMe is king, until it over heats and throttles. Good use of unused PCIe slots popping it in an adaptor.

So if you want NVMe on your old machine add it and don’t worry about boot performance use it for everything else, I raided 2 cheapo 120Gb SDDs for boot drive on the z77 its fast enough.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Overclocked Ivy offers the same performance as any modern cpu that you could buy if it's just strictly gaming.

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Yeah, not sure it's worth the hassle as I'm not really gaining anything. I might just give it a little makeover; new case, cooler and fans.