1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i7-7800X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Sep 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't know if it's just me and it's just today but I have totally lost what Intel cpu is what, what they do and do not do, as there have been so many with so many different platforms recently. Well, it seems to feel that way.

My next move may be back to AMD, not just because it's competitive now but just because I can follow their line up.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Really? A £350 CPU has the measure of a £200 CPU! Damn if that ain't impressive. :lol:

Guest-56605 and MLyons like this.
  4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately, there are plenty of souls out there that would rant and rave that a Ryzen 5 1600X is better as it has the same core/thread count but costs less. Just laying that argument to rest for those less well-informed than you David ;)

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The only real reason to buy these CPUs is if you are gaming at 1080P with dual TITAN X-P's and your CPU can't push enough data to them due to the slower clock speed. I doubt many people have a rig like that as an extreme example, but there it is.

I have been converted to an AMD enthusiast, hell yeah. Proud of it. Intel can suck it. :D

Guest-56605 likes this.
  6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Don't forget the Cost of the Motherboard which will only likely be good for a couple of years before they change the chipset and socket type @David :lol:

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I hope more people think like this...

...so Intel lower prices and I can buy the better equivalent CPU.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Intel have a lot of work to do in that regard - £350 for the chip and £200+ for a board. You can grab a 1700X, a decent board and 16GB of fast RAM for that kinda of money.

That makes Intel ~£150 more expensive than a competing setup.

Just imagine the launch price of the 7800X if Ryzen wasn't around!

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Given how much the price of the 6850K has dropped by, and that it has both more PCI-E lanes and cache, higher base clock and far cheaper motherboard options, I know what I would be looking at spending £350 on if I wanted a HEDT Intel setup right now...

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Where!?

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

But your then buying into what is now a redundant platform, so where’s the logic in that?

Your mobo goes pear shaped and then your scrambling about to find a substandard replacement at an inflated price at a later date, add to that X99 was never the perfect platform in the first instance.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

exactly what I'm currently going through trying to find a mobo replacement for my 4770k

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Wot 'e sed!^

It's not redundant though - the 6850 has been shown to be faster than the 7800X in a lot of tests (presumably because of the higher cache and more mature platform), and what does X299 offer that X99 doesn't at that price point? More USB 3.0 ports and Optane support? Big whoop!

Maybe i'm biased because in all my years of building PC's (and watercooling and overclocking them) I've never had a board go pop, but even if it did you'd still be covered under the same warranty as a new X299 board.

6850K @ £350 + Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion @ £140 (via OcUK) is a LOT of machine for your money right now.

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I think he meant that it's redundant in that manufacturers will stop producing new boards for it (or maybe they already have I don't know)

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That's a fair enough point, but realistically if you hang on to a board for more than a handful of years then there's a solid chance that you might struggle to source a replacement. Obviously the older the tech then the shorter the window for sourcing a replacement, but ime boards either fail early or truck on for a long time.

17. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm you want a MB that won't be obsolete go with AMD. Intel changes sockets like other people change socks.
    I've away built Intel but they are really disappointing with meaninglessly socket changes that don't offer any additional features.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OH ****, 6850 not 6950. D'oh. 6900s still a grand. FS.

Exactly! In fact, 8700K is ~400 quid + 12MB L3, but 6850K is ~350quid for 15MB L3 and more PCIE connectivity. It's not as fast in single thread, but it can OC a bit and still get 95+% of the same.

If I could sell my 5960X for a bit more $ I would side-grade to a 6850, certainly.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Sep 2017
  19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Hah, hah, haaaah!! :D

That'll the your first dead board, then. Those SOC boards are horrendous. They drop like flies. Not speaking from personal experience, but all those people that I know who've used them. Mine didn't die, but I sold it pretty quickly.

20. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

:thumb: That's exactly what I meant @GeorgeK

Good luck with that board, if it were an AsRock OC Formula then I'd concur but not with a piece of complete and utter sh*te like that thing :nono:

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Sep 2017
    TheMadDutchDude likes this.
Tags: Add Tags