1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Leaving PC Master Race? - Thoughts? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Speed, 17 Sep 2017.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I didn't think it was really that bad on the PS3? It's been a while though...
    - Back up
    - Swap in drive
    - Prep memory stick with update file
    - Boot
    - Restore
    - Profit?

The time taken to backup/restore left a lot to be desired, though.

I was going to upgrade the drive in my PS4, but made just as much sense to swap from a vanilla to Pro instead of swapping drives or buying an external, and that changeover was really slick compared to copying a PS3 to a new console.

- Sign in on new console
    - Ethernet cable to old
    - Profit

Mine took around 80 mins to copy across around 400GB of data, so probably just the physical capabilities of the drive limiting it.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's a step backwards, then. I migrated twice on the Xbox 360, from a launch-day model to the lower-power version then again to an Elite. Just stuck that cable you got in it, pressed a button, and waited an hour or so. Peasy-simples.

3. veato

veato I should be working

To be fair on Xbox One you can plug in an external USB3 HDD and away you go. Also an external USB3 disk is supposed to be faster than the internal HDD too as the internal one has a crappy slow interface. Or so I read. Not sure about data migration (not done it since the 360) but I know they're working on an app to migrate from One to X easily.

Something else I read today - MS are still working on mouse and keyboard support for the Xbox.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

the internal disk is sata 2 apparently, and I'd say a usb3 external - I have a 7200rpm 1tb - is definitely faster.

after some research it is possible to upgrade the internal drive, a 5400rpm thing, but its an absolute pain in the arse to do. Looks to take an hour to swap the drive, no mention of copying things over either.

5. VladTepes

VladTepes What's a Dremel?

I'm no hardcore gamer - or good gamer - by any means but I do enjoy it.
    I've been gaming on PC's since PC's (or "IBM compatibles" ) were a thing.

The I heard so much hype about some of the consoles I though I must have been missing out.
    Bought a Wii and a PS3 and hated them.

Sold the Wii, the PS3 is still at home but gets hooked up one a year when the missus' son comes to visit. I'll give it to him next time he comes.

6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

For me, consoles have always been about couch coop/party gaming with friends. Unfortunately, modern consoles (looking at you Microsoft/Sony) are moving away from this model. I picked up a steam link around 6 months ago and have started a collection of games on Steam for couch-coop/party games, and having pretty good success with it. I'm incredibly tempted by the Switch, but haven't been able to justify it to myself just yet...

I think ultimately gaming is about fun. If you think your experience with PC gaming isn't leaning heavily enough toward fun over troubleshooting/issues, and that you'll have a better balance with a console, then go for it.

7. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

It's not worth doing it anyway to be honest, I replaced the internal drive on mine with an ssd and the only benefit is in single player games. Multiplayer, bf1 for instance, you end up loaded in before everyone else and then sit waiting for the match to begin (ie no one else has loaded yet!). At the time I did the upgrade it had to be done under linux, now as far as I recall it's much easier using windows and a couple of scripts.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, I saw the windows script options recently. It was tempting, but since I play primarily single player games anyway I might as well stick with external drives.