1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Moving from a MX518 to a G403

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 23 Sep 2017.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

First impression.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

FEEL: The G403 feels as comfortable as the MX518. A few changes I don’t like. I prefer the design of the main two mouse buttons on the MX518, they are party of the body of the mouse and the top/end of the buttons recces into the mouse. The design of the G403 and many current mice have buttons separate from the body and some of them feel loose and have a gap the dust and dirt can enter the mouse through. The side of the G403 feels nicer and the rubber feels more durable. I prefer the style of the MX518 thumb buttons though this is preference. The thumb buttons also feel like they are a little far forward. The cord is a bit stiff but I’m not sure if it will be an issue.

SCROLL: The scroll wheel feels like a Lego wheel, not rounded like the MX518. I like the scroll wheel on the G403 more than the MX518, but prefer the wheel on my MX anywhere. The metal wheel does not seem to be common on gaming mice. My MX anywhere is much heavier, so that may be a consideration. The scroll is very smooth and quiet. I can scroll precisely without audible clicks.

SENSOR: The sensor is straight up better in every way. I’ve read the angle is different but can’t comment on what effect this has. The DPI of the MX518 was too low, so I had the sensitivity maxed and acceleration turned on in windows. The DPI becomes an issue as monitors increase in resolution. Mouse poling is much higher and the ‘feeling’ is much more accurate though it will take time to get used to it.

MX518 DPI - 400, 800, and 1600.

G403 DPI – 5 custom presents 200-12000

SOFTWARE:
    I’m pretty happy with the software, it didn’t take long to set up. You can assign up to 5 DPI settings, assign a default and a shift DPI which is selected when holding down the DPI button. I’m not sure why Logitech went with a single DPI button instead of an up/down. As a result, I’ve only set 3 DPI defaults.

LIGHTING: the lighting opens are disappointing. I can set cycle or breathing. With cycle, I can limit the range. With both I can adjust brightness and rate. Breathing has more options but the setting for it are not intuitive and I will need to look up how to adjust them. I would prefer if I could set a range like yellow to red that it would cycle between.

OVERALL: The mouse doesn’t feel as solid as I expected, but it is light and comfortable. Lighting is nice but not as customizable as I expected. The feel of the main buttons is nice and the sensor is excellent. I wish the thumb buttons where a little back and that it had an up/down button for DPI, but I may not adjust the DPI much once I get it set just right. The feet are well designed and the mouse feel good to use. The appearance is plain, much better than most ugly Logitech mice. The MX518 is not in a box at the top of my closet.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm still sporting a G5 as my work mouse. It's on it's last toes though so had been looking at the G403 as a replacement. Your comments on the side buttons make me think not though, as the stubby nature of my thumbs and grip style make the forward button on the G5 a bit of a stretch! The search continues.

3. tech45K

tech45K What's a Dremel?

great mouse review. i want to get one

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

I can't say if it is better than a Rebel 310 because I can't find anyone that stocks them except for Amazon (Prime, not Prime Now).
    The G403 was a bit cheaper on Amazon, and the G403 was on prime now so I could get an extra 10 off as my first Prime now purchase.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've never heard of the Func MS-3-R2 before, it looks huge and comfortable. I would have loved an MX518 with an updated sensor and scroll wheel (RGB lighting optional. The MX518 has my favorite thumb buttons of any mouse I've tried.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

The back button is ok, but due to the longer buttons the forward button is farther away.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Me too, small hands and hard to find work or gardening gloves!
    I bought A Func MS-3-R2 when they were cheap, and picked up a second one as I liked it so much

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I have tiny digits and the FUNC has been a pleasure to use tbh. When you look at it it looks huge, but the centre channel is quite narrow actually. You just dump your floating fingers on the rests and you're off. Very nice mouse and the scroll wheel still works thanks to the PG UP/DN buttons.