1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is site traffic down since the new build?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 10 Jul 2017.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Just wondering if a mod could confirm?

Looking at the amount of posts/views per day, compared to what it was like on the old forum, it seems we're down a lot of traffic.

Thoughts?

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep I've noticed it too - although I've not checked the actual numbers, it feels like there are fewer updated threads and less activity in general.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Wonder if the down time contributed? I know that with other media when something is down or not updated for a while my posting rate becomes less frequent for a while after. Usually it's because I've found something else to fill that void, so it takes some time to normalise, if it ever does even.

That said, because logs are so much easier to update now, I've found my own rate increase dramatically.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have to be honest and say that I'm not visiting or posting as often as I used to, but I also have to say that it feels as if the forums have been getting steadily quieter over the months before the downtime. I still enjoy this community but it does feel like there are fewer posters, and fewer posts, than even a year or two ago.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have notice it being much quieter long before the 'Great change', questions can go unanswered or receive very few posts, marketplace seems to have really gone down hill in regards to what is offered these days. Great pity as this has been a really great forum.

6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

kinda thought the "Great Change" was to try and combat the drop-off (amongst other things).

7. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Perhaps everyone's been here, just just occupied with other things...
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...he-2016-us-presidental-election.311161/unread

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/e-u-leave-or-stay-your-thoughts.299681/

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/uk-general-election-2017.326548/

Been pretty busy and there's enough material in those events to keep us laughing/crying for a while.
    Also, I wonder if the time of year has an effect, would be good to see similar figures for previous years.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Three largely interchangeable threads, all dedicated to flogging the same dead horse and quote-for-quote point scoring. Yeah, they bring a lot to the forum. :thumb:

Disequilibria, Big Elf and adidan like this.
  9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I stopped visiting the US Presidential thread due to one particular poster. He's now banned, it seems, but I haven't bothered to go back in much recently.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah they have merged into page long posts, far too much mass debation going on there.

Merging into a 'Politics' thread may save some copy and pasting.

Big Elf and David like this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I just sprayed tea on my desk.

adidan likes this.
  12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

As long as it was just tea after you're mass
    debation it's ok.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

A more succinct way of putting that would be "at least it was only tea".

14. RTT

RTT #parp

One reason for less traffic would be it appears the new forum software doesn't redirect the old vbulletin urls.

eg:

https://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=212859 = 404.

An interesting oversight to say the least given there's literally decades of backlinks and google-juice to the old vbull software's URL scheme, which are all now just 404ing :duh:

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I feel like a bit of downtime and a redesign is sometimes a prompt for people that aren't really feeling it any more but just posting more out of habit to take their leave. I stopped posting on a forum before in similar circumstances.
    I don't think it's necessarily such a bad thing if it potentially brings in a bit of new blood and generally freshens things up.

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

My policy of keeping my politics to myself failed a bit with those threads, and I regret it deeply. I must admit they made me feel considerably less welcome here even just reading through the comments. It also doesn't help when those same topics have a way of sneaking into Rick's annoying reviews.

17. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

What I was thinking, I'm struggling to get used to it and change my habits but I'll adjust.....

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

My impression is that traffic has been declining for quite a while, since before the refresh. It doesn't really seem as if the refresh has changed things in that regard.

It does feel like we're down to the bare bones in terms of userbase :(

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I agree with bawjaws just looking at post times after I have slept a while to find very few new additions.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This seems to be a general problem with sites like this. I'm still a member of the PCAdvisor forum and that one is almost sleeping with the fishes.