1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 10/13mm tubing dead?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by camelsnowman, 4 Sep 2017.

1. camelsnowman

camelsnowman What's a Dremel?

I'm having trouble finding a medium selection of 10/13mm (flexible) tubing (I'm looking for white). All the usual suppliers (ekwb web store, ncix) seem to carry a limited selection compared with a few years ago.

So, I'm wondering if 10/13mm tubing is on the way out.

I'm upgrading my current loop, which has 10/13mm compression fittings. I need to buy more fittings, and I'm wondering if I should stick with 10/13mm or go to something else. (I need a total of 10 compression fittings and currently have 4 x 10/13mm, so it's 6 new vs. 10 new).

All thoughts welcome please!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You could try Dazmode for that size. I used to use that size but moved to 3/8"ID, 5/8"OD to reduce kinking.

I'm assuming you're in Canada.

3. camelsnowman

camelsnowman What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply, Big Elf!
    You guessed correct; I am in Canada. I had looked at dazmode, and they do have a larger selection than ncix, but still no 10/13mm white. I've heard dazmode can order stuff in, so I might ask them. Thanks!

I just don't want to invest in a tubing size that's loosing popularity and availability.
    I am intrigued with 3/8"ID, 5/8"OD and it's kink resistance. Do you notice a difference?

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Performance PC I have never purchased from them so I don't know what their service is like.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I think 3/8"ID, 5/8"OD is the perfect size in soft tubing particularly as it doesn't kink anything like the 10/13mm although you can also reduce kinking using angled fittings. Some people prefer the chunkier look of 1/2"ID, 3/4"OD which also reduces kinking.

Although I have dealt with Performance PCs without a problem (until they massively increased their shipping costs to the UK) they used to have a terrible reputation for Canadian shipments which was partly due to the Canadian postal system. It's worth checking that before placing an order.

I'd also check out the shipping costs for Mayhem's tubing. I'm using the clear and have been very impressed due to the lack of plasticiser.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just wish hard tubing would go away never to return..

Give me 1/2", Barbs and jubilees anyday.

iggy likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've used 10/13 tubing in all my wc builds. I've never had an issue with with kinking, but don't think I've ever really tried a tight bend with it.

I also hate rigid tubing. Unless it's copper and they've taken the time to put some sex curves in there.

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Likewise, I just prefer it for the chunkier looking aesthetic.

I can't say as I did either but just graduated on to the 10/16 - agreed, rigid to me means copper or chrome plated copper tubing :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Sep 2017
  9. The_Crapman

That was meant to be sexy curves, I'm not quite sure what sex curves would be. :worried:

I'm not sure about going slightly thicker on the tubing. For me I think 13mm is just right for having a presence without detracting too much from the hardware. Although I'm thinking of going with clear coolant my I upgrade, so maybe thicker tubing might be needed. Might get expensive then with all new fittings though.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2017
    Guest-56605 likes this.
  10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

@The_Crapman, that did make me chuckle some :grin:

I dropped onto some of my favourite Monsoon compression fittings for a decent price so the sale of my 10/13's covered the cost, I kept my existing angled fittings :thumb:

11. The_Crapman

If I went and got new fittings it'd probably be for copper piping. Still unsure exactly what to do. Not even sure what fittings you need to use or if they'd fit the build.

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

My reason for sticking with tubing is simply I upgrade my primary rig/hardware far to frequently - lately I have also been binning a batch of CPU's for a client and it facilitates changeovers far easier than even an air cooler.

If I were to build a secondary rig in the future with some tried and tested (what I define as KEEPS) hardware then I might try my hand with some copper tubing also :thumb:

13. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Copper tubing rules :thumb:

Currently working through some ideas on something different with copper tube, hopefully will get a project log going soon.

14. The_Crapman

Well on the usual watercooling sites these are about the nicest looking fittings. Hardly inspiring though. I found some G1/4 compression fittings for 10, 12 and 15mm pipe on RS components.

These ones are probably my favourite
    [​IMG]

Guest-56605 likes this.
  15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

They would look sweet with some 10 or 12mm tubing :thumb:

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm building with 10/13 quite a few uk places stock it. I like its flexibility.

17. The_Crapman

They've discontinued the 12mm but do them in 10. Just a bit concerned that might be a bit too thin.

I'm a fussy goit.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Little more pricey, but it is shiney and 12mm. I loves the shiney shiney :naughty:

Last edited: 25 Sep 2017
  18. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

19. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Those would be great in an industrial or steampunk theme build. If you want something a little more low key Koolance has a couple fitting for soft copper tubing, and they use a ferrule.

20. The_Crapman

That compression fitting is 1/4 ISO standard, where I'm pretty sure they need to be 1/4 BSP to screw into our blocks and rads properly?

Not going for steampunk, not got the skills or patience for all that weathering/antiquing/patina jazz. Just love the metal pron. :rock:
    I've seen those Koolance fittings in a few builds, but at 10quid a pop at least it's a bit steep.