1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows hangs after GPU upgrade (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dead beat, 25 Sep 2017.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Hi guys

For the last year I have been using the onboard graphics to run my monitor. I recently upgraded to a 1080Ti and everything seemed fine. I ran a driver sweep first to clear out all the old drivers and installed the new Nvidia drivers. I also updated the chipset drivers and BIOS for the motherboard in the process (system specs are in my sig) and the OS is Windows 10. Windows is fully updated.

Now however, after about five minutes of turning the computer on, the desktop will just hang. I can't even use ctrl+alt+del to end any processes or programs. I have to restart the computer. This happens every bootup, without fail. I have also run memory tests that show everything is fine.

On a side note, when I do get into a game and quit back to the desktop, the screen remains black just revealing the cursor. Again this requires a restart. I have never had a problem like this before, so was wondering if someone might be able to she some light?

Thanks

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What do you mean you cleared out old drivers as this should not have been necessary if you were just moving from onboard to a dedicated GPU? These driver cleaning programs can cause all sorts of issues in my experince.

3. dead beat

I had a bunch of AMD R9 290s and GTX 980s before switching to onboard graphics, so wanted to make sure that the machine was clean of these drivers.

I have even used the windows 10 reset utility, but this does not seem to have helped at all.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Does Device Manager indicate any problems with exclamation marks? If not it could be a faulty card or drivers so the only real way to tell may be a clean install.

Do have any disk images you can revert to prior to running the driver cleaning to try first?

5. dead beat

The card seems to be behaving fine. The desktop freezes about 5 minutes after logging on to windows. Nothing in device manage is showing as having an error either.

Unfortunately I don't have any images that I can revert to but don't have too many files on my boot drive that I mind losing, so I guess I may have to try a fresh install.

It may also be worth checking the the event viewer to see if there are any conflicts, but I'm slightly perplexed.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'd try a fresh install. It seems like there's an underlying issue somewhere that won't be easy to figure out.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Try a reset first... also do the usual... check power cables, reset the card etc.

8. dead beat

Thanks for the responses, however I'm at a total loss now. I have done a completely fresh install of windows and am still having the same problem with the desktop hanging. It seems to happen about 5-10 mins after launching a web browser.

The the strange thing is that I can game for as long as I like without any hiccups. It's when I'm on the desktop that the problems start. I'm not really sure what else I should do.

9. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I have seen similar situations before, even after fresh installs problems persist. A simple BIOS default or hold down the CMOS button can fix it. I've seen it happened with MVG i5 3570K and putting in GTX 670, it went haywire after that even though I had that card working before in the same motherboard. Hope that works.

10. dead beat

Thanks for that, although I have cleared the cmos and am still having the same issue. I can't imagine there is anything wrong with the card, because it appears to be working fine in games. It seems like there is a conflict with windows somewhere.

11. dead beat

I've been unable to solve this issue, so have had to RMA the card.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Certainly a strange one. Will you replace the card?

13. dead beat

Scan offered me a refund on the card so I have bought another one through them to avoid waiting through the RMA process. It's the same card and will be with me tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out if my machine just dislikes 1080Ti's then

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Interested to know how you get on.

15. dead beat

I'll post the results back here. I know my cpu and mobo are a bit old now. But I can't see that causing a problem.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As you did a clean install I am at a loss, it sounds like a dodgy over clock in desktop mode, not enough volts for the low power mode of GPU, but shouldn't have that out of the box. I assume you wiped your CPU overclocks?

17. dead beat

Yeah I did a full bios reset so removed all the overclocks. Seeing as I had not touched the clock speeds or voltage on the gpu, there must have been something not quite right.

I was playing overwatch for about an hour without any issues at all and then experienced a frozen desktop as soon as I quit the game. So long as I loaded a game as soon as I booted into windows there would be no problem. However, after 5 minutes of web browsing or other desktop tasks, the whole system would just hang.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2017
  18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

BIOS > Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PCIE (instead of iGPU or Auto),

Now that the onboard GPU is disabled, boot to Windows, device manage, scan for hardware changes.

Can you see the onboard GPU in device manager?

19. dead beat

I had tried disabling the iGPU in the bios already. I didn't check for hardware changes in device manager, but it didn't seem to have any impact on the problem.

The new card has just arrived, so I'll report back here shortly.

20. dead beat

Same problem still persisting with the new card.....