1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Atari outs the Ataribox as an AMD-powered mini Linux PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Sep 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

No surprise whatsoever that in reality all Atari has done is design a plastic shell with a wood effect sticker and it's logo on it. For them to have done any sort of hard work by creating their own bespoke system is what would have really surprised me.

3. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Annoying this - I really like the concept of a Linux type games console but its kind of hard to comment with such a generic description of the specs - AMD Radeon could mean literally anything!

If its a similar concept to the steambox with specs that provide it with an acceptable amount of grunt to play recent AAA steam games like the AMD Falcon or the newer version which can play linux games like skyrm etc then I will be all over this

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As the article says, you can do some extrapolation from the scant details Atari has offered. It's £300 (realistically, given the exchange rate) and a semi-custom AMD APU. If it's not equivalent to the PS4 and Xbone - i.e. eight cores, 8GB of RAM, and a healthy IGP - then it won't sell. Simple as that.

5. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Oh I agree, to be competitive they need to do that and so as mentioned I assume it’ll be their falcon or if we are very lucky perhaps their raven ridge range – A reasonably priced linux game console running steam would be excellent and is what I think a lot of people thought of when SteamOS was originally announced

The fact is (and hopefully I am just being cynical) I am more likely seeing it being hugely underpowered and aimed just at the emulator market and so just end up being a niche product

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I initially figured it'd be a Raspberry Pi in a plastic box, so this is definitely a step up!

MLyons likes this.
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Similarly priced popular x86 emulation machines have used the Intel Atom Z8xxx series, or AMD Merlin Falcon (R-series) chips. As far as I know, no Zen-based (or otherwise) R-series update has been announced, so it could be one of the Carizzo-based chips. 'Horned Owl' has been rumoured as a Zen-based R-series, but has yet to actually turn up anywhere, officially or unofficially.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

*cough*retrothemedsteambox*cough*

9. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

So... its a more powerful amazon firestick! ;)

Tags: Add Tags