1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is site traffic down since the new build?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 10 Jul 2017.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

People just consume their information in other ways now-a-days. Or have simply moved on from this hobby or no longer have time for it. T'is unfortunate but true.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Having a single dictatorial moderator or forum editor as the dick like to called did not help that forum. Lost a lot of good contributors because of his I am right and you are wrong attitude.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I used to post a lot more on [H]ardforum. I hate their new site and I'm much more active here now.
    Community is important, but so is site design.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't mind [H]'s forum setup, to be honest. It's not a million miles different from this one...

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd say there are two main reasons sites like this struggle:

PCs became less interesting:
    1: Windows XP completely trivialized their use, Windows 7 made them near perfectly stable, which massively reduced the need for troubleshooting which is bad news if you are a forum people can go to to ask for help.
    2: The death of chipset variety and more and more tech getting integrated into CPUs reduced HW variety and with it reduced talking points.
    3: OCing turned from a fun hobby for everyone into a professional sport for rich people.

The young ones seem to prefer Reddit (how does anyone navigate that impersonal messy landfill of information?) and whatever social media site is currently "cool".

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

It's drastically down

When bit-tech updated the forums, the individual(s) doing the job neglected to do "re-directs" to the old URLs in the forums. So, anytime somebody reads or discovers an old article referring to a project log, the visitor is given 404 NOT FOUND, http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=206494

Guest-16 and Maki role like this.
  7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I can chime in here as to why I think that is though. I've been on reddit for a good 7 years now, the place has changed a lot in that time (and mostly for the worse if you ask me) but as a mod on the watercooling sub, I get the appeal. The information you're looking for isn't presented in the forum fashion, long term info is basically pinned around, the rest is current info that's hard to reference back to. Think of reddit as just the first page of threads from a subforum. Anything after that is dead and can't be revived, so instead they ask or make the content anew each time. This has pros/cons in that it does mean info tends to be up to date as people are discussing it in the present, but also you get lots of repeat content and using older material is arduous.

That said, reddit is simple if you understand the place. Forums for the most part though, are not. I post more on reddit and facebook than here because there's a place for it. You sort of need a lot more structure in a forum else it becomes just such a mess. For instance I would be called a spammer if I made a thread for each little finished PC part I'd modded or interesting meal I've had, and quite rightly. So then you end up needing to create a thread you continually post to and so on.

I desperately don't want forums to disappear because they do some things just so well.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

I don't design websites but...
    I know I find the new design tiring to read, I've went from checking the forums a few times a day to a few times a week.

That said...has the redesign been redisigned? Text used to be grey after the update, now it's black again (much better).
    Or maybe its browserdependent...

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Same, the old userCP was my first stop and it had all the threads with new posts in that you were currently subscribed to. Just work down the list, job done. Now? The alerts thing that only shows up if you recently visited a subscribed thread? Really can't be bothered digging through everything again.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Won't be commenting on this.

Forums in general have gone down in traffic due to social media and information being easier to get.

Reddit is nice when you get used to it. It's my main go to for news apart from tech stuff obvs.

I wasn't here when the initial forum stuff was being done but I've just brought this up. We'll be looking into this now and we think we may have a way of doing it. Thanks for bringing this up.

You find the site or forums hard to read? If the forums you could see if the dark styles I made are any better.

When are you referencing I haven't changed the forum styles in a while. There are a few browser dependent things and things obviously also change on different styles.

I agree with this. That's why this page exists https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?watched/threads ;)

11. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@MLyons, you bet... always happy to help.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Maybe you (or someone else) could write a little article about the "new" forums.. as in what moved where (gallerys for instance), and where do I find these settings that didn't exist before.
    I mean, I understand that everything is logical to you, but if one is only used to the old forums... :hehe:

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a job for @Dogbert666 If not i suppose I could write one. I've Skype him to see what he thinks.

EDIT: I could easily do one for the forums but publishing an official article is different. What stuff would you like to know how to do that you used to be able to do on the old system?

Last edited: 3 Oct 2017
    MadGinga likes this.
  14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Bump for MaxBale thread botting

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Skills. Right, to merge and ban...

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  17. Xir

Xir Modder

Well it could be a "New!, Improved!" showing the new features. An article would make things more...General Knowledge than just an answer in the forums.

• You meep mentioning different possible styles, what is that about?
    • The album has moved, the thumbs are gigantic, I suppose I can set somehow.
    • What is a good way to post pictures now? (locally, not as a link)

18. MLyons

What happened here? I got here too late.

Fair point. Are these question you would specifically like answers to? I'll work on writing a post up and seeing if I can get it on the homepage.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've been thinking the same thing recently; it seems a lot quieter here since the downtime/upgrade.

20. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Im stunned that 301 Redirects from the Old URLs to the new URLs wasn't done for a site migration of this size. Thats the basics of SEO when updating a site and changing the url pattern! It can be done retrospectively, but the horse has already bolted. I wonder how much advertising revenue thats set you back :(