1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Retro Games unveils TheC64 Mini retro console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 2 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't get the appeal of these naff emulators in a box we've been seeng over that past couple of years. I'd rather buy a proper C64 and a special SD card reader for the same money. In fact yesterday I very nearly did.

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"hardware sprint handling" -> sprite :)

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Yet Another Lazy Arm Box.
    They could've thrown this money at the Mega65 gang, and made something WORTHWHILE.
    http://mega65.org/
    MOBs, actually. Sprite was a registered trademark of TI, after all. :p
    Though I rather like the idea of a C64 popping out little legs and dashing across the desk.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie: fixed, ta!
    This guy retros. However, that's only half the story: while the VIC-II's documentation uses MOBs (Movable Object Blocks), the official Commodore 64 Programmer's Reference Guide calls 'em sprites just like good ol' TI. Like so:

[​IMG]

(Yes, I had a copy readily to-hand. Don't you?)

Fun fact: Atari used to call sprites "player-missile graphics," again thanks to TI's trademark.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Bobs > *

Man, I miss my Amiga at times.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Blitter OBjects! Man, remember when having a blitter chip was cutting-edge?

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hell yeah. But then again, I remember when having custom chips to deal with such exotic tasks as audio and graphics was revolutionary :D

Agnus, Paula, Denise (and Gary). We salute you!

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I grew up with a 99/4a loaded out by a father that both worked at TI AND was a huge computer nerd(including a Horizon RAM Disk! Solid-state drives, 80s-style!). I've never owned a C64, but I DO have a datasheet(100-page "sheet") for the TMS9918A in my line of sight right now.
    I am slightly biased in my knowledge.

And I really should do something about my Commodore illiteracy.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Niiice! Most niche documentation I could immediately lay hands on is probably this...

[​IMG]

..."Dave's copy" of provisional technical documentation for the Vermont Research Model 8401-3 disk controller for the DEC PDP-11, dated May 1979, complete with photocopies of hand-written corrections and annotations. Keep meaning to scan it, but I don't have a scanner with an automatic document feeder and there's a load of pages to it!

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Very nice! My nichiest is probably a manual for an ELF-II computer. Which is dreadfully uninteresting, just because the first response is "what the heck's an ELF-II?", as is the second.
    The 9918A datasheet just seemed relevant as "TI programming documentation." Though now that I think of it, the closest analog to the C64 Programmer's Reference on the TI side is probably the Editor/Assembler manual.

Tags: Add Tags