1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Former Intel chief Paul Otellini dies at 66

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's very sad that such a big name in the industry has died, especially so at such an age and so soon after retiring, but don't mar the guys name with such drivel, Intel PR machine.

You put profits first, and did so by knee-capping your only competition with shady (and illegal) business practices. Us customers have been dragged along ever since, paying through the nose for new features and minimal performance increases year after year.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wow, trying to use the guy's obituary as a marketing tool. Wringing every last penny out of his corpse.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No word on cause of death? 66 isn't exactly very old by today's standards.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Putting customers first, eh? Intel? I don't see my CPU ever being soldered again... liars. I am sure it was not his doing, and is nothing against him personally, at all, but that statement is a bit of BS given that they clearly put their investors first. :(

Really sad news that he passed. RIP.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be fair he was long gone before they started doing this. This is the result of BK.

Otellini oversaw some shady sales practices, true, but he also oversaw arch in P2, P3, P4(!) and was CEO during the early Core era. He was pretty well liked and generally speaking a good businessman. It's a shame he handed over to BK.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I had a bit of a rant on another forum the other day about Intel and their practices. And they have pretty much broken down everything they make into the smallest bits and are nickel and diming on basically everything. They have also broken one of the PC commandments - thou shalt not make stuff you can't upgrade. And I mean really upgrade, like at least three or more worthwhile upgrades per mobo. We didn't put up with shady practices like that in the 90s (that is how the custom PC came to be !) but people these days just don't seem to care. The young lot, who think everything is disposable.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hands up if you remember Intel's Overdrive chips, which let you stick a low-end Pentium into a 486 motherboard? <raises hand>

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup. They were amazing really. Bloody expensive though !

Tags: Add Tags