1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Humble Bundle acquired by game review giant IGN

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. xalek

xalek What's a Dremel?

This news put me on the back foot to be honest. I've always liked using the Humble bundle system, however I feel a little uneasy with a games reviewer running a game store. I suppose only time will tell what will happen. Hopefully it all turns out good i the end.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Humble Bundle was a company with a mission to make profit, now they get a bit more profit in turn for screwing over their customers more. An alternative will rise eventually.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm the same, but a part of me wonders if it's really that much different to a games review company accepting advertising from games publishers. I mean, "I'm reviewing this game which my employer also sells for a 30% (or whatever) cut of the proceeds" ain't a good look, but neither is "I'm reviewing this game and my employer's budget is 30-50% made up by a massive ad buy the publisher put in last week to promote it."

Media outlets (should, and all my clients do) operate a strict firewall between advertising (ads) and editorial (eds). I, for example, have absolutely no idea who's advertising on bit-tech right now ('cos I block the ads, naughty-naughty, but for a good reason honest!) which means there's nowt stopping me writing a "Company X did something stupid" story even if Company X has just paid for a site take-over. So long as IGN's Humble Bundle subsidiary and IGN's editorial team operate the same way, it shouldn't be a problem.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It is slightly odd to see a review and promotion outlet also publishing games.

But then IGN has been less review and more promotion since it's inception, their capacity to split tiny, tiny pieces of information into multiple articles is impressive. I'm more interested in the conflict of interest this could create between them and their advertisers, although I expect in real terms in won't, they will continue to put out advertorial for whoever pays them.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2017
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, it isn't: that was GameSpot, which at the time was owned by CNET. IGN's a totally different company, owned by Ziff Davis (well, technically, owned by j2 Global which in turn owns Ziff Davis.)

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Lately, I've just been getting ebook & comic bundles from HB. Their games haven't interested me for a while now.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That post was up for all of thirty seconds before my brain engaged and I removed it. You're like some kind of laser eyed editing hawk-thing that can spot a brain fade from ten thousand yards!

I am aware of all these things, but my fingers are outrunning my brain today.

9. Gareth Halfacree

NINJA SKILLS!

Alternatively, I happened to have been on just presactly when the Alert for your reply popped up.

But no, really, NINJA SKILLS!

Tags: Add Tags