1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7 may bring bugs, warns Asus' Elmor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

AMD Fine Wine is corked?

I kid, I kid, just couldn't let the pun slip.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's not like it's the most robust platform anyway :D

It'll all be fine for the refresh early next year after us early adopting users have ironed out all the bugs. :(

Like anything new, the best experience typically comes at end of life after numerous iterations.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

When it's about to be obsoleted .

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

SO basically :

Its not AMD that has bugs, it is ASUS sloppy coding......

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I can tell you've never written or watched someone code any software. You never write something and its flawless. Never. Normally designs are iterative building on past learning, but AMD has launched two new platforms this year and now decided to RELAUNCH a platform. It takes time to understand this and make it work with all the hardware iterations and see how AMD's code fits with their choices of ICs and custom ROG FPGAs.
    This effort is unprecedented and frankly poorly planned from AMD's side - they knew Raven Ridge was coming and they're choosing to upset the entire existing install-base in order to keep platform support.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Huge assumption that I have little experience. I stand by the assertation that any `bugs` that are being pre warned is down to sloppy coding. But lets discuss who`s A370 boards had the most issues on launch and who`s didn't.

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

In his defence, care of Elmor's work my CHVI has never ran sweeter, it's bombproof stable and purrs along - I'll not immediately update to AGESA 1.0.0.7 personally as I have no need to do so.

At least he is being up front and honest in the first instance, which in it's self is quite refreshing.

9. gupsterg

gupsterg What's a Dremel?

Asus support IMO has been great on C6H, my one is pre-order at launch. I have used 3x R7 1700 and 1x R7 1800X, 2nd R7 1800X soon to be used.

Elmor and Raja@ASUS have been cracking on OCN for support, I also have a 1950X with Zenith Extreme, again good support IMO.

I do believe AMD have had a bigger role in what has gone on with platform. In this post 1st paragraph touches upon some of what difference I have noted between Ryzen and ThreadRipper.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bit of a tangent, but my last Asus product was the original Transformer Android two-in-one. I figured it'd be absolutely perfect for my needs, being small, light, and with decent runtime thanks to the second battery in the keyboard.

Except Asus saw fit to stick a custom power connector on it instead of a proper USB port, because Accessory Money Is Good, and it was already showing signs of needing replacing in the near future straight out of the box. Support was hopeless, so I sent it back.

11. gupsterg

My post was in context and limited to C6H/ZE.

I have an Asus product which I believe has a firmware issue, MG279Q. I have not gained no where near the level of support that I have experienced on the motherboards. So I guess we could all share such an issue and I doubt it would be limited just to one particular manufacturer.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I meant my comment was on a tangent, not yours.

13. gupsterg

I got that.

My post was just to say I have also experienced lack of support from Asus on another product. So each and every product is not receiving the same level of support.

Getting back on topic you will find on OCN Asus Prime X370 Pro owners are not impressed with ASUS UEFI. It lacks certain AMD CBS options which the C6H has. The reason for lack of the options is unknown, also the Strix X370 suffers from this. One such example is CLDO_VDDP which allows memory frequency holes to be moved.

To me it seems some boards are "artificially gimped".

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If your lower end board has all the bells and whilstle of the higher end board why would people buy the high end board?

Last edited: 18 Oct 2017
  15. gupsterg

If you owned AM4 from launch you'll be aware that it lacked access to more than primary RAM timings, RAM dividers, etc.

AMD highlighted at the time a later AGESA would improve on these aspects. So plenty of owners hung on thinking they will get "improved experience" later. AMD delivered as AGESA 1.0.0.6, link, but Asus on the mentioned boards have not given access :( .

So a member created his own modified bios and shared it, link, as you can think these can present issues for some on flashing, etc, etc.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I’m in a similar situation with the RAID thing, AMD have released NVMe Raid, I’d like to take advantage, at the moment MSI says no :(

I’m hoping it will come but can’t blame them for not doing it, there is no doubt a lot of validation that needs to be gone through and if the BIOS is having a complete re-write from AMD the board vendors probably feel like they have had the rug pulled from under their feet.

AMDs fault for releasing a half baked product.

17. gupsterg

The thing with the AMD AGESA options on AM4 is to me there seems no reason as to why a lower end board can not have access to these options. Especially as AMD AGESA dictates access to these options.

CLDO_VDDP changes the voltage to the memory controller AFAIK, it reprograms the Low Drop Out voltage regulator on CPU die. So as technically the VRM controller of mobo doesn't have control of LDO and it isn't changing the voltage all CPU/mobo should support it IMO. Then there are also other options within AMD CBS which are not related to say voltage but a performance enhancement or something of use to xyz owner, so I believe these should be given access to all boards by AIBs.

I concur it is early days for TR and NVMe Raid AFAIK wasn't a feature AMD at launch of TR had stated, but is more of a "come back" to upstage Intel (IMO); "You charge, we give free". Where as with AM4 it's no longer early days, so I do believe boards as mentioned before should be brought inline with others in the context of AMD AGESA options.

Tags: Add Tags