1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Bladerunner 2049

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dmodz, 12 Jul 2017.

1. dmodz

dmodz Father and son Modding team

Thanks:) Yeah your case is more what i had in mind when thinking about BR cases all black with some neons etc love it, I did think about using the black hose for the cables but then kind of settled on a more abstract unicorn chrome (nod to orac) idea.

5" screen is here today the idea is to use it as a backplate for the GPU as it will be vertical, water one side screen the other. The first film had an awesome focus on the way we advertise in the future with the big screens on the sides of buildings and the new one looks to continue the theme so I thought a screen inside the case with adds on and also to do temps when in use might be cool.

Ps. site still acting up for log in, kyles on the case though:)

2. dmodz

Friday night mod for the boy after his first week back at school. Did the LCD backplate for the GPU on the current mod, should look quite slick when running.

Did a chrome finish on the existing Saphire Backplate then set in the LCD its a 800x480 so displays a nice image for its small 5" size.

This should display the "in film adverts in Blade Runner well for the mod, as well as CAM etc when the pc is actually in use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dmodz

A busy weekend didnt leave much time for modding with kids football but we did find time to finish prepping the chassis and give its primer coat. Dylans spray technique is coming on well, no more runs! Letting the primer harden over night before starting the chrome coats tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

For the chrome effect, as per Ron Lee Christianson, is chrome over a silver base. It's not perfect but it does look better than straight chrome. Also there are chromes that you can put over a super slick black that look awesome, but the base has to be perfect, and you still can't clear it, the particles float too easily in solvents.

I've got a couple of experiments that I want to try, one is clear coating with a water based paint. Auto Air has a transparent base coat for blending, basically paint with no pigment, and I wonder since it's water based if it will leave the particles alone or if they still float. Another is Molotow Liquid Chrome, it's usually a paint marker, but you can get the refill and use it in an airbrush. It's got a good look from the vids I've seen. I've got a bottle, just nothing to paint chrome yet.

5. dmodz

Loving your Gunslinger project that really does look brilliant, the soft leather looks great.

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Cool, makes me wanna go paint something right now..

7. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! I love different materials. Cheapskate was joking about velvet on the project I'm working on, but I thought how cool would a velvet case be?

I don't know what it is, but I always want to paint something, LOL!

8. dmodz

Another little painting update, most of the body is now complete so its nearly time to put it all together hopefully me and the boy should be able to escape and get it done. The paint job is not the chromiest of Chrome but not bad out of a rattle can. We have decided to swap out the PETG hard tube and go back retro with some soft, it seams to match in better with the arcing curves of the cable sleeve.

Time will tell, off to watch the movie in an hour so hopefully come back happy and inspired!

[​IMG]

neSSa likes this.
  9. mnpctech

looks good, Taking my son this weekend!

10. dmodz

Dylan started work working on the Blade Runner case fans. The Corsair air240 has space for two small 80mm fans. We noticed a lot of people working with the case don't bother using them. Found a couple of silent fans (as you can be at 80mm) and thought we would use them as a feature.

Just a case of taking the fans apart painting up and masking off. Of course the Tyrell Corp logo had to feature somewhere:)

Treated ourselves to some model rust effect paints to age them giving that industrial feel. We have been watching a few model tank video's to look at how they do the rust effects this paint set seem to be recommended so really looking forward to doing something new at the same time as Dylan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. mnpctech

awesome, and weathering so much fun

12. dmodz

Decided to crack on finishing it then do the weathering at the end. Last tests sorting out all the cables and hose today, then install the motherboard armour and screen.

[​IMG]

13. mnpctech

Thanks for update, I'm watching you guys as mine sits here waiting for me to get cracking.

14. dmodz

This ones taken a bit longer than would have hoped, time has not been on our side. Did you like the film?

15. mnpctech

My thoughts,..without revealing storyline

Director Villeneuve delivers the visuals us fanboys of 1st movie expected. The soundtrack is wonderful, same feel as Vangelis. The futuristic environment of Los Angeles and Distopian landscapes outside of LA are amazingly detailed. The updated Spinner car looks great, too. 2049's greatest asset is the woman characters. Especially Wallace's Replicant, Luv. She was by far the most interesting character in the movie, followed by K's (Gosling) holgram wife and his Captain. The scenes with these woman brought the only emotions and intensity to the movie.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
  16. dmodz

Luv was a spacial character very intense :)

Felt all wrong demolishing the corsair badge on a sponsored build! All masked up for some paint, then some more weathering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mnpctech

Very cool, ...."It's too bad she won't live!"

18. mnpctech

any new updates, guys?

19. dmodz

Had some time between pumpkins and kids football this weekend to get some modding done. I set off doing the last of the cables 24 pin.. saving the most tedious for last!

Dylan got to work rusting up the case, he did two shades of rusting to give it a weathered look. Now its dry I think it perhaps needs some chipping and some more shadow with some washed out black. He loved the rusting up watching him I think you could spend literally hours lost doing that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dmodz

Armour added still a lot more rusting and degrading to do but heading there at last, son is free tomorrow for the afternoon after football so hoping to get the soft tubes added and a test fill.

23561642_623460584709312_7891673837690559297_n.jpg