1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Would an Intel stick be good for ->

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 18 Oct 2017.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Applications and updates installed via package managers (debs, rpms, etc) shouldn't occupy too much space as they use shared dependencies with other applications.
    If you still want to do this though you can configure (either during installation or after moving your files) your second disk as a mount for /var for instance.

There's no real way to choose what goes where using the package managers, only if you install your software through binaries (having your second drive mounted on /opt and having your untarred binaries installed there, then either have these paths chrooted or symlinked).

Either way, anything beyond a separate mount for the home folders is going to be a hassle.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If only someone had told you not to bother compromising here and focusing your efforts elsewhere for power saving... :worried:

RedFlames and bawjaws like this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Then something is very, very broken. Just as a test, I loaded up the latest Ubuntu LTS on a USB stick and smacked it into the USB 2.0 port of an Eee PC 701. That's a netbook with a single-core 32-bit Celeron processor running at 900MHz. I then loaded Firefox and shoved it at Vin Diesel's Facebook page, 'cos why not. I was there in under 15 seconds.

[​IMG]

Your Compute Stick has way, way more power than this netbook, so it shouldn't have a problem. The fact that it does says something is very fundamentally wrong.

You say you were trying to install Chrome and reinstall Chromium - can you share how you were doing that, as it may help to find the root cause of the problem.
    You can move your home folder, but that'll only affect where your documents and settings are stored (plus caches and things like that), not the applications themselves. How big is the SSD on your machine?

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No. If memory serves updates are downloaded to /var/cache/apt/archives so you'd need to symlink that to say /path/to/external/blah...

https://askubuntu.com/questions/116575/where-are-apt-get-files-stored

Failing that, set something up to fire off 'apt-get clean' periodically [assuming ubuntu doesn't do this already].

as for downloaded programs... ??? all i remember is some non-repo stuff plonks itself in /opt [firefox parked itself there iirc],

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ooh, you and your constant boasting about fancy hardware! :D

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Only the best for me!

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK I started the stick up and set the region etc. Then I tried to open Chromium and it crashed. It gave an error, but I never got that again it just refused to open. I went into the app store thing and deleted it from there, then found it again and reinstalled. No dice, it just did the same.

For Chrome I pulled it down through the terminal using commands on Google. It does the same as Chromium, just flat out refuses to load. For Firefox, IIRC, I found it in the app store. I installed it from there. It runs, but very, very slowly. What's weird is that watching video flies. I can watch HD MKVs the lot *scratches head*.

The storage is 8gb, but I think it is split up. I tried to install Windows 10 earlier and it would only find the onboard storage which seems to be split up a lot. I did apt-get clean it did nothing..

8. Gareth Halfacree

None of that is normal. I'd send it back if I were you, 'cos it sounds like it's buggered.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I second what Gareth said...

[​IMG]

10. Vault-Tec

Might try resetting it tomorrow and seeing how it goes. But yeah, it definitely doesn't seem right.

11. Vault-Tec

I can't afford not to compromise. Unless you fancy buying something for me :p

12. Vault-Tec

Seems you were spot on Gareth. It's dead... I did as Intel instruct you to do and pressed F8 at boot to restore. I set Ubuntu to restore, pressed enter and then it just went into a boot loop. After about five minutes it started doing some super odd **** (like flashing the LEDs on my keyboard like a light show) and then it died completely. It now refuses to do anything. Back it shall go !

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I can heartily recommend one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Brix-BXBT-2807-Ultra-Compact/dp/B00KR0QHXW

You will need to add in a SO-DIMM 4GB or 8GB. And it'll need a hard drive, it can take a 2.5" drive or you can install onto a USB stick I guess.

They are older generation than a compute stick, but offer more flexibility for I/O etc. You can mount it onto a VESA bracket on the back of your screen.

14. Vault-Tec

TBH Zoon I think I am just going to get another.Before it died everything worked great apart from the browser. It even sounded half respectable tbh.

Edit. I tell you what else I noticed. The fan never worked at all. I heard a few complaints that it was annoying but mine didn't do anything from the off. Maybe that was broken and it fried itself? would make sense, given that the browser is pretty heavy on light hardware?

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Go on then, I'll say it one last time, in the simplest terms I can think of, and then I'll shut up about it: You're spending more than you're saving.

bawjaws likes this.