1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Reasons *not* to buy an XPS 13?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Oct 2017.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Great thing with dell is they put the whole laptop strip down on their website under the service section.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Holy bourne again shell Gareth; It works!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Huzzah! Did you see the later message about it not working at startup 'cos the touchpad shows up as two devices?

Also, did you see my tool for toggling between Game Mode and Work Mode? That's here - just add a menu entry and you can quickly switch the touchpad off while typing (for work) and on while typing (for games).

4. theshadow2001

Indeed I did see both, there would be no need for a games mode for me. If I did game I'd probably just use the windows half. (Maybe another thread but I could do with some games for this thing so what are you playing on it)

I was wondering if there was away to blacklist the PS2 device

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...that's good thinking, that - although I'd be worried it'd end up blacklisting the whole damn touchpad by mistake. Still, once I'm somewhere with a USB mouse I can use should it all go wrong it's definitely worth a go!

6. theshadow2001

I had a wee look around to see if there was a module I could black list but nothing jumped out. I've a feeling they might be both wrapped up in the same driver

7. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, I haven't been able to figure it out either.

In other news, this particular figure from PowerTop should almost certainly be taken with a pinch of salt...

Screenshot from 2017-10-27 23-48-15.png

Looks like, for some reason, it thought the backlight was taking 100mW instead of about 5W. Would be nice, that!

8. theshadow2001

add:
    Code:
    blacklist psmouse
    to:
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    then run:
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    The PS/2 mouse won't appear in the xinput list after that and the syndaemon stuff works fine straight from boot.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Niiiiice!

10. Gareth Halfacree

Well, it's official: I can go a solid three days between charges on this thing, with usage concentrated around lunchtimes (Netflix) and evenings (Netflix, posting on 'ere, and IRCing, mostly.)

Screenshot from 2017-11-01 19-22-54.png
    Happy with that!

MLyons likes this.
  11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Damn, that's impressive.

12. Gareth Halfacree

How's this for a real first world problem: I get a low battery warning and red light on the front of this thing when I've still got an hour and a half left...

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's nearly a full charge on some laptops...

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's 50% of my charge.
    Given my hardware and how old my laptop is though, I'd say mines' still doing pretty darn well.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

On my bog standard Windows 10 13 , the orange gives me ~45/50mins of youtube which is still beyond impressive.

16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've put in an order for the new Inspiron 13 7000 - 8th Gen i7, 16GB, 512GB PCIe SSD with a thin bezel like the XPS. After cashback and a little extra discount it'll come in under £1000. I really wanted the XPS 13 but I can't justify the extra cash for it.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Bumping this out of the depths, 'cos I've finally got around to undervolting my XPS13. I'd put it off, 'cos I'd always assumed it was going to be a pain in the harris - but it turns out there's a dandy little Python script, undervolt.py, which does all the hard work for you. Now running on -75mV across all undervoltable things. It's still hitting thermal throttle under load, so at some point I may brave a re-TIM with something suitably expensive.

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I am effing loving my XPS13. The screen is a work of art - I 'calibrated' it, only to find that the factory calibration was spot on. I also caved and bought a Razer Core X with 1080Ti. Not only does it charge it, it actually works with the triple monitor surround gaming setup I have. Yes, you really can unplug and plug in at will. Utterly incredible. Crysis runs smoothly on it, which means that other games should do fine - looking forward to booting up Star Citizen again.

Having seen how awesome the 4k screen is on the XPS13, I now am aiming to own a 30" 8k monitor at some point. Be a few generations of GPUs before gaming at 8K is feasible though (and you'll need ideally need at least ~32GB VRAM), plus Thunderbolt version whatever with a much larger bandwidth.

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have you noticed a difference in temps or battery life?

20. Gareth Halfacree

Performance is a little better, as it takes slightly longer to reach the the thermal throttle point, but it hasn't made a huge difference to battery life.